Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2007, 12:22   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I think the Honda Shine suits your dad's requirement the best, otherwise the Bajaj XCD is also very very good.
OK thanks, will TD them both. Dont know if the showrooms are open on Sundays. Got to check now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolg View Post
My suggestion would be the Unicorn if you can stretch the budget. It has a really smooth ride and handling. my dad who is 56 loves it . No problem with the disc brakes. Sweet and smooth engine. It is MR. practical. It can take 200 kgs.
I dont understand why people are against the monoshock when it is the norm everywhere. Just take a test ride and see the difference.
Next best would be the glamour f1 but for one person .
Hmm it seems like the Unicorn is the best choice. If the rear shock is a bit weak, is there a way to strenghthen it a bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
since rusting is a major concern i suggest you dont go for bajaj or the tvs bikes, unlike the hh and honda they are prone to have rusty silencers very soon and a lot of bikes have their silencers cracked and fallen off!

the best bet would be honda shine, super splendor or if you can stretch your budget then unicorn!, i am not suggesting the glamour because it has a tiny winy gearbox problem, gets stuck at times in second gear!
Even my dad thinks that HH and Honda are better than TVS and Bajaj.

So it seems like my choices have narrowed down to
  1. Unicorn
  2. Shine
  3. Super Splendor
  4. XCD
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:03   #17
BHPian

Tested the following bikes and these are my impressions:

HH Super Splendor: Decent bike, a bit boring, quite small.
HH Glamour: Little bit bigger than the Super Splendor.

H Shine: Not good, poor gearshift but smooth engine. OK ride quality.
H Unicorn: Good bike, smooth, reasonably powerful, comfy seats.

B XCD: Surprised me a lot. 125 cc but feels like a 140cc atleast. Good shocks, pickup and comfy seats. LED tail lamp, Digi speedo and a small box in the side is a defenite bonus. All for 45K on road!!
B Discover: Slightly bigger and more powerful than the XCD. No digi speedo and a slightly rough sounding engine is a minus. Good for the price but I think an upgrade is on its way because the XCD has the gizmos that the higher priced Discover does not.

Yet to ride the Hunk. Does the Hunk have a sporty riding position like the Pulsar? IF yes, then it is out of question.

Guys, what do you think?
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

best one for ur dad is |Suzuki Access....next best option is honda DIO / ACTIVA...this is all u can get in 45 k
Old 3rd January 2008, 23:32   #19

hi,

as u short listed these, my views,

Honda Unicorn: Been using it for arnd 3 yrs. There are times when we did triples. Mono shock is not a problem. It can take the weight. Did some long drives too. with 85kg and 95 kg. Smooth ride. Live in chennai. humidity is high. Still the rusting is very less. only the number plate is rusted.

Honda Shine: comfort is as good as the Unicorn i believe. never actualy rode one.

Bajaj Xcd: My frnd is using it. But its jus very recently tat he brought. Ride comfort is good. U get more features at lesser price. Can Consider.

My Choice, if ur budget permits, go ahead wid Unicorn.
Old 21st January 2008, 17:35   #20
BHPian

AN UPDATE:

To cut a long story short, I have booked a Pulsar 180 silver and will be taking delivery in a couple of days.
Old 21st January 2008, 18:43   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
AN UPDATE:
To cut a long story short, I have booked a Pulsar 180 silver and will be taking delivery in a couple of days.
Dont cut it short!

How did it move from XCD/Shine/Discover and likes to a P180 DTSi? Anyways, I have been using one for about 2 years now and very much satisfied with it (be carefull with the A.S.S though!).
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

i would sadly have to say wrong choice, as you have a rusting problems well any way congrats on the booking!
Old 22nd January 2008, 16:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:

I love the Unicorn's riding position but the problem is the monoshock. I dont know if it will take 2 people totalling to 200+ even for a short distance. Can someone who has subjected the Unicorn to 200+ Kgs please comment on thie?

I can stretch for a Unicorn if it is worth the price difference.
A Honda Unicorn is any day the best amongst the bikes you have shortlisted or for the matter of fact I personally rate it amongst the best bike to go for.
I have myself subjected the monoshock to loads and it performs well in single as well as double riding loads.
In fact it is much more comfortable and also handles well.
For tall people it has a very comfy seating position (Atleast my overweight 6 feet frame felt that way).

And yes it is anyday worth stretching the budget.
great engine, butter smooth gearbox, reliable.

Still if you have doubts regarding monoshock check out the monoshock assembly when it is not fixed to the body. I have seen one in person when they had the grand prix edition Unicorn up for grabs and man it sure makes up for two shocks at the back.

Just go for the Unicorn.
Old 22nd January 2008, 19:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yet to ride the Hunk. Does the Hunk have a sporty riding position like the Pulsar? IF yes, then it is out of question.
Hmm...what ever happened to that?
Old 23rd January 2008, 10:14   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
i would sadly have to say wrong choice, as you have a rusting problems well any way congrats on the booking!
Oh!! Didnt know that Bajaj has rusting issues. The alloys wont be affected right? Which parts are vulnerable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
Just go for the Unicorn.
My head said Unicorn but I went with the heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Hmm...what ever happened to that?
Dont have an answer Mpower, maybe its lazyness.

Last edited by Proxima : 23rd January 2008 at 10:20. Reason: tyops
Old 23rd January 2008, 10:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Dont cut it short!

How did it move from XCD/Shine/Discover and likes to a P180 DTSi? Anyways, I have been using one for about 2 years now and very much satisfied with it (be carefull with the A.S.S though!).
Thi bike was initially for my Dad 90% and me 10% so I was thinking about lighter bikes like the XCD and Discover but now he has agreed to take the Safari to work everyday so the bike is for me 90% and for my dad 10% so I wanted a bike that is a bit powerful.

I also did not want to feel that I am coming down the ladder (in terms of top speed atleast) from a machismo 5 speed which can hit 100 effortlessly hence chose the 180 over the Unicorn.

Booked it thru a local dealer who is a good authorised Bajaj mechanic so will pull him up incase of any issues.
Old 23rd January 2008, 12:42   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oh!! Didnt know that Bajaj has rusting issues. The alloys wont be affected right? Which parts are vulnerable?
Silencer.

The black silencer (specially in the initial batches of 'fear the black' 180s) had rusting problems. Although, mine is almost 2 years old and still in good condition. I know 2 friends who took delivery of their bikes, same time as mine, and had their silencers replaced (covered under warranty) within 1- 1.5 years.

Make sure the bike is not exposed to too much of bad weather. Keeping it clean and well maintained can make a difference.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd January 2008 at 12:44.
Old 23rd January 2008, 23:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Just the silencer from my experience.(My bike is the Avenger though). The black painted parts on the silencer are prone to rust.
Old 24th January 2008, 00:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Silencer.

The black silencer (specially in the initial batches of 'fear the black' 180s) had rusting problems. Although, mine is almost 2 years old and still in good condition. I know 2 friends who took delivery of their bikes, same time as mine, and had their silencers replaced (covered under warranty) within 1- 1.5 years.

Make sure the bike is not exposed to too much of bad weather. Keeping it clean and well maintained can make a difference.

its chennai and if he is located neat the sea then the rusting problem is definitely going to be there!

well you see the silencer rusts fast from inside and at only the final stages the rusting starts appearing outside and finally the silencer falls off!

well there wouldnt be the alloy rusting problem but all the steel parts will definitely rust!

if you still can go and buy the unicorn or any other HH bike just drop the idea of pulsar if possible!
Old 24th January 2008, 11:41   #30
BHPian

Thanks guys. Guess it would be difficult to cancel it now and go in for the Unicorn.

Anyways will buy a bike cover and try and cover it everyday. Lets hope that helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks