Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2007, 17:54   #1
BHPian

Please suggest a Comfortable City bike for me

Hello folks,

I have a Bullet Machismo 2005 which I need to sell because I will be going onsite on project deputation soon. We also have a 2002 Victor which has clocked 40k kms and we plan to sell that as well. Me and my dad use these 2 bikes and the Safari (2 of these 3 vehicles) to commute to work everyday.

Once the 2 bikes are sold, we plan to buy a reliable, rust resistant, heavy duty, self-starting bike for my dad (and for me occasionally), sometimes for both of us to travel together on very short trips (~3km).

Hence I need a bike with the following preferences:

Requirements: (must haves)
  1. Should be trouble free. (like the Splendor?)
  2. Good service backup. (unlike Honda where they dont even listen to you and you have to be in the service station at 7 AM to get a slot for service)
  3. Should have a good and reliable electric start. (unlike the Bullet electric start which is the reason why I want to sell it)
  4. Should be comfortable to drive for my dad (55 years old, 6 ft tall, 100kg) and me (a little taller and a little heavier)
Options: (good to haves)
  1. Alloy wheels (we stay 200 mtrs from the sea, hence rusting is a major concern)
  2. Price below 45k.
What we do not want:
  1. Disc brakes, might prove to be dangerous for my father.
  2. Sporty driving position. (like the Apache RTR)
I have short listed the following bikes:
  1. Super Splendor
  2. Glamour
  3. Shine
  4. Star city
  5. Discover
  6. XCD
I will be test driving them all, but need your inputs on the reliablilty, service backup and the likes.

Please direct me. Thanks.

Last edited by Proxima : 29th December 2007 at 17:56.
Old 29th December 2007, 18:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Sporty driving position. (like the Apache RTR)
Sporty riding position?

Your father could have uncomfort with the weight coming on the hands!
Old 29th December 2007, 18:47   #3
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Hello folks,
What we do not want:
  1. Disc brakes, might prove to be dangerous for my father.
  2. Sporty driving position. (like the Apache RTR)
?
how can disc brakes be dangerous?
and sporty driving position for old, heavy and tall person!?
Old 29th December 2007, 18:49   #4
JPL
BHPian

I would recommend that you go for the Suzuki Access 125 for the following reasons ( I am considering to buy a new scoot for my dad):

1. Easy to ride, seating is awesome (wide and soft).
2. Powerful engine 125 cc 9bhp, with telescopic shocks in the front.
3. Suzuki should be reliable or else wait for the long term tests.
4. Electronic start there with kicker.
5. Access 125 can carry two people easily even on steep slopes ( I can vouch for that as I have tested the same on the 2nd test ride, Went uphill and stopped in the middle where the incline starts to go higher and stopped and started)
6. Price below 45k 44886 in Bangalore at least.
7. I am also going to test ride the Kinetic Flyte which is also a serious contender now in the scoot segment, will post the same later.

You can read more in the motorcycle threads for the scoots.

As your dad is used to riding bikes and does not want to go for scoots ( test ride the access 125 once) then I would say go for the Honda shine from your choice, thats the best bet.

Comfort is good but not as awesome as the Unicorn, if budget permits go for the Unicorn.

I would really not like to go with the other options that you have provided but still if budget is strict either the Shine or the Super Splendor.
Old 29th December 2007, 19:07   #5
BHPian

Considering your requirements, I think you will be better off with a scooter. (More comfortable for your father?) In the scooter department you can go for the trusted option of the Activa. But considering that you don't want a Honda, you can check out the Suzuki Access and Kinetic-Sym Flyte.

But if you insist on a bike, then from the options listed, the Glamour looks good. The Discover riding position is similar to the pulsar's and may not be comfortable for your father.

Don't go in with a prejudice on disc brakes. Your father will get used to it in no time, and it's much better and more reliable than ordinary drum brakes
Old 29th December 2007, 19:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Increase the budget and get a Honda unicorn .
Old 29th December 2007, 19:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dude, it depends on which segment you want. However, my suggestions on the following segments:

125cc: Honda Shine
100cc: Bajaj Platina
Scooter: Honda Dio
Old 29th December 2007, 21:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Sporty riding position?

Your father could have uncomfort with the weight coming on the hands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jat View Post
[/list]?
how can disc brakes be dangerous?
and sporty driving position for old, heavy and tall person!?
Thanks for the reply Crazy Driver and Jat.

I DID NOT WANT a sporty riding position like the RTR 160.

Dad is not comfortable with discs.

Last edited by Proxima : 29th December 2007 at 21:15.
Old 29th December 2007, 21:14   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
I would recommend that you go for the Suzuki Access 125 for the following reasons ( I am considering to buy a new scoot for my dad):

1. Easy to ride, seating is awesome (wide and soft).
2. Powerful engine 125 cc 9bhp, with telescopic shocks in the front.
3. Suzuki should be reliable or else wait for the long term tests.
4. Electronic start there with kicker.
5. Access 125 can carry two people easily even on steep slopes ( I can vouch for that as I have tested the same on the 2nd test ride, Went uphill and stopped in the middle where the incline starts to go higher and stopped and started)
6. Price below 45k 44886 in Bangalore at least.
7. I am also going to test ride the Kinetic Flyte which is also a serious contender now in the scoot segment, will post the same later.

You can read more in the motorcycle threads for the scoots.

As your dad is used to riding bikes and does not want to go for scoots ( test ride the access 125 once) then I would say go for the Honda shine from your choice, thats the best bet.

Comfort is good but not as awesome as the Unicorn, if budget permits go for the Unicorn.

I would really not like to go with the other options that you have provided but still if budget is strict either the Shine or the Super Splendor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
Considering your requirements, I think you will be better off with a scooter. (More comfortable for your father?) In the scooter department you can go for the trusted option of the Activa. But considering that you don't want a Honda, you can check out the Suzuki Access and Kinetic-Sym Flyte.

But if you insist on a bike, then from the options listed, the Glamour looks good. The Discover riding position is similar to the pulsar's and may not be comfortable for your father.

Don't go in with a prejudice on disc brakes. Your father will get used to it in no time, and it's much better and more reliable than ordinary drum brakes
Thanks for the reply guys.

I dont want a scooter. Had a LML Vespa Select button start and my dad didnt like it. Its not as stable as a bike.

I love the Unicorn's riding position but the problem is the monoshock. I dont know if it will take 2 people totalling to 200+ even for a short distance. Can someone who has subjected the Unicorn to 200+ Kgs please comment on thie?

I can stretch for a Unicorn if it is worth the price difference.
Old 29th December 2007, 21:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post

Does the Shine have a problem with reliability? Some reviews in Mouthshut say so.

Are there any owners of the Super Splendor and and Glamour?
Old 29th December 2007, 21:42   #11
BHPian

Hi Proxima,
Just wondering what would have gone wrong with your Enfields' self starter?!(I also own a Machismo)
With the dimensions your venerable father and you have, I seriously doubt that you would fit on any of the scooters' that have been mentioned herein. Yes, I can ride the Activa(I am 6' with 90kgs), but my knees stick out if I sit on the place designed for the driver to sit.
I personally feel that in India, the only capable sized two-wheeler for both of you is the one which you already have!

You can consider getting alloys fitted on your Machismo and keep on enjoying it as you have been earlier, and have an assured service from the steed as you have been having before.
Old 29th December 2007, 22:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think the Honda Shine suits your dad's requirement the best, otherwise the Bajaj XCD is also very very good.
Old 29th December 2007, 23:53   #13
BHPian

My suggestion would be the Unicorn if you can stretch the budget. It has a really smooth ride and handling. my dad who is 56 loves it . No problem with the disc brakes. Sweet and smooth engine. It is MR. practical. It can take 200 kgs.
I dont understand why people are against the monoshock when it is the norm everywhere. Just take a test ride and see the difference.
Next best would be the glamour f1 but for one person .
Old 30th December 2007, 01:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

since rusting is a major concern i suggest you dont go for bajaj or the tvs bikes, unlike the hh and honda they are prone to have rusty silencers very soon and a lot of bikes have their silencers cracked and fallen off!

the best bet would be honda shine, super splendor or if you can stretch your budget then unicorn!, i am not suggesting the glamour because it has a tiny winy gearbox problem, gets stuck at times in second gear!

see the thing of it is that you can book a service slot 1 or 2 weeks ahead and go and give the bike for serviceing around 10am,

these are awesomely engineered machines that have proven their reliability over time so these bikes should be good choice!

Last edited by rider60 : 30th December 2007 at 01:32.
Old 30th December 2007, 02:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Options: (good to haves)
  1. Alloy wheels (we stay 200 mtrs from the sea, hence rusting is a major concern)
  2. Price below 45k.
Keeping in mind the major concerns of yours, i think you should buy the Honda Shine. The Super Splendor is a very good bike, but i am not sure if it comes with alloys(i think the Splendor NXG does, though), and i also do not know how reliable is its electric starter, since a friend of mine owning the bike is having some issues regarding it.
Just my thoughts
Cheers,
Dhaval

Most Viewed