Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2008, 12:26   #1
BHPian

Helmet refurbish

Guys- could anyone point me at a helmet repair shop IN BANGALORE that will do a decent job of renewing the liner on my KIWI full face?

Name/address/phone numbers if avbl will certainly help as will any advice on what I can expect to pay, days for the job etc.

Thks.
Old 16th January 2008, 14:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Why not just give a try in Lalbaugh road, You'll find hell lot of Helmet shopsn there you may find any repair shop
Old 16th January 2008, 14:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

If your helmet is older than 3 years, strongly suggest you throw it away and buy a new one.
Old 17th January 2008, 02:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why would you want to 'refurbish' a helmet? Just buy a new one. Dont mess around with with your head man!
Old 17th January 2008, 11:04   #5
BHPian

Agree with everyone else, replace it. If you still want to repair it, then go to lalbagh road , where MTR is located, there is a repair shop in the basement of the shop ( i forgot the name, but it is another helmet shop) opposite konark auto accessories.
Old 17th January 2008, 11:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If your helmet is older than 3 years, strongly suggest you throw it away and buy a new one.
Couldn't understand. why do we need not use a helmet which is more than 3 years old(ok if it has been abused then throw it, what if it hasn't been abused)?
I have 2 helmets with me, one is just an year n half old, the other one is almost 16years old, it's indeed a very good helmet, till now it is in very good condition.

Last edited by sushrutha : 17th January 2008 at 11:38.
Old 17th January 2008, 11:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Every product has a life span. Similarly, the life of the padding provided inside the helmet will be guaranteed for a minimum of 3~5 years. It is better to replace the helmet rather than to use the refurbishied one. Remember, in the event of evantauality, it is your head which is going to suffer. Just for a sake of few hundred rupees, do not compromise on the safety of your head.
Old 17th January 2008, 15:18   #8
BHPian

Thks guys. Will follow that yellow brick to Lalbagh Rd. Don't agree that a helmet needs to be discarded after 3 years. If it's been in a prang, sure, coz its structural integrity could have been compromised, but for just a liner change?? Does not make sense. In any case most helmets have removable liners to facilitate washing, which means if a liner is removable, there's nothing within the limits of logic that prevents one from removing it and replacing it with new material. Way I see it, the liner's function is to provide comfort and hygiene- the shell and the thermocol doing the job of actual protection.

I agree that repainting a helmet is bad, as even putting stickers on it.
Old 18th January 2008, 05:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

All the major international brands give a 5 year warranty on their helmets and its specifically mentioned that even the "shelf life" of a helmet is 5 years. So even if it sits there for 5 years without being crashed or abused you must replace it. When you are out in the elements, the glues on the helmet tend to lose their strength faster.
Old 18th January 2008, 23:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

I dis agree life cycle of a helmet is around 5 years unless that the helmet was crash then it is time to change it.
Old 19th January 2008, 09:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

The helmet needs to be replaced every 5 years.
Old 19th January 2008, 10:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Yes the helmet does have shelf life specially if used ona regular basis. One of the major reason is that the padding inside stiffens after some time & looses its absorption abilities, So all you get is two layer of hard substances covering your head instead of one hard & one soft\cushioned surface. The choice is yours.
Old 21st January 2008, 15:00   #13
BHPian

Gentlemen: just discovered a skilled and capable and most amenable chap who did a marvellous job on my Kiwi. It took him an hour flat (though his normal service is 'next day') and he charged a v reasonable Rs 170 for some fine workmanship and better-than-decent materials.
You'll find him on the corner as you exit Kamaraj Rd (at the intersection, diagonally opp the petrol bunk) when heading towards Thom's Cafe. Don't know the name of his shop, but I'd recommend him highly. Saved me a long and stressful trip to JC/Mission Rd.
Old 21st January 2008, 16:43   #14
BHPian

does anyone know any fellow in Pune to refurbish the helmets? If yes where it is?
Old 21st January 2008, 18:39   #15
Team-BHP Support

BUY A NEW HELMET EVERY 3 YEARS.

Read more on
Home
esp under the FAQ on Helmets

Note:
Given the kind of swings our climate takes, I stick too and recommend 3 years instead of the 5 years mentioned in smf.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks