Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2008, 10:31   #1
BHPian

Rings change in TVS Star

My friend's TVS Star Motorcycle requires rings change after clocking 25000 Kms according to dealer.Is it NORMAL?
Indication: drop in compression and slight oil fumes in exhaust.
Old 26th January 2008, 11:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

well these do happen normally with ct100s and tvs stars at around 30K to 35K kms but in your case the engine might have had a problem! i mean may be faulty, if its still under warranty go ahead and change them!

well its not normal, and the reasons could be several, like improper run in period, no oil change after the initial first 1000kms, hard riding, and others!
Old 26th January 2008, 11:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post

well its not normal, and the reasons could be several, like improper run in period...
Bingo! Spot on reason...
Old 26th January 2008, 12:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

even i heard a lot of abnormal knocking in a friend's star city on inclines. I've asked him to get it fixed. Three services , and still the sound is still there!
Old 26th January 2008, 18:20   #5
BANNED

Improper manufacturing techniques , improper components . I would just say replace tvs with honda ,yamaha , suzuki .
Old 26th January 2008, 22:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Improper manufacturing techniques , improper components . I would just say replace tvs with honda ,yamaha , suzuki .
That's a blanket statement that is best kept to yourself. Have you seen TVS's "manufacturing techniques" versus that of Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki?
Old 27th January 2008, 07:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
well its not normal, and the reasons could be several, like improper run in period, no oil change after the initial first 1000kms, hard riding, and others!
Thank you.
When Compared petrol four stroke engines in cars give better life.As told by greatmana2000 it could be metalurgy or design concepts like hardness of the ring.
If this is not normal then what is the normal period to change rings for a 100 CC bike?
Old 27th January 2008, 09:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

The only thing that makes sense to me is that either your friend, or the service center forgot an oil change. That is the only condition under which you can weaken the rings.

The rest of the gyan about improper runin,crap manufacturing, hard riding etc etc is just plain fantasy. Most bikes don't need anything before 40k as a cardinal rule. I personally know Victors (one generation prior to star) belonging to some friends which have been doing duty for years now with just regular maintenance, despite hard riding (for a 100cc, that means often 80kph ).
Old 27th January 2008, 10:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The only thing that makes sense to me is that either your friend, or the service center forgot an oil change. That is the only condition under which you can weaken the rings.

The rest of the gyan about improper runin,crap manufacturing, hard riding etc etc is just plain fantasy. Most bikes don't need anything before 40k as a cardinal rule. I personally know Victors (one generation prior to star) belonging to some friends which have been doing duty for years now with just regular maintenance, despite hard riding (for a 100cc, that means often 80kph ).
Yeah.My honda dio which was thrashed everyday/day in day out with oil change intervals stretched to 5 to 6 thousand km ran for 56 thousand km before requiring an engine overhaul when honda says that 50 thousand is the normal overhaul period.
Old 27th January 2008, 12:29   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
That's a blanket statement that is best kept to yourself. Have you seen TVS's "manufacturing techniques" versus that of Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki?

one does not have to really see how tvs manufactures bikes . just have to look at the manufacturers reputation .

I just dont want to list the no of bikes which have failed ,and which were introduced by tvs .

I just remember centra , there was a scooter ...hmmm the list is endless .most of them have had camshaft,,crankshaft , even stupid problems like kickers in xl super .show me 1 bike made by tvs which is worthy of mention .
Old 27th January 2008, 12:34   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

well, victors are notorious for their camshaft , timing , problems ,uneven premature chain wear .

If ,you think manufacturing techniques are crap ,why do they forge crankshafts ,camshaft ?why would anyone use heat treated bearings ?...lol just for the fun of using them ?
Old 27th January 2008, 12:36   #12
BANNED

Quote:
well these do happen normally with ct100s and tvs stars at around 30K to 35K kms but in your case the engine might have had a problem! i mean may be faulty, if its still under warranty go ahead and change them!

and i guess i am not the only one talking here abt tvs and bajaj quality .
Old 27th January 2008, 13:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
one does not have to really see how tvs manufactures bikes . just have to look at the manufacturers reputation .

I just dont want to list the no of bikes which have failed ,and which were introduced by tvs .
Well going by your logic, Honda is a dud too. Unicorn and Shine have failed miserably here as has the Dio. Only the Activa has sales.

Suzuki has failed big time with the bikes launched here and Hero Honda is not doing as good as it was doing earlier. I say replace all 3 with Bajaj.

Quote:
And yes please do not make statements like the one above without knowing / understanding facts.
Old 27th January 2008, 14:12   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Well going by your logic, Honda is a dud too. Unicorn and Shine have failed miserably here as has the Dio. Only the Activa has sales.

Suzuki has failed big time with the bikes launched here and Hero Honda is not doing as good as it was doing earlier. I say replace all 3 with Bajaj.
There are many reasons for failures .
unicorn , shine , dio do not have any repetitive technical problems .comparing a dio with an activa ,both sport the same engine but different body panels . So simply put , failure ,sucess of a model does largely depend on the perceptions,expections ,marketing of the product .
The failure which i was talking about was with regard to the product failure due to engine related problems ,clutch problems , gearbox problems . I remember when centra was introduced it was even selling at a premium ,but within months due to engine related problems it was withdrawn . People who have bought a suzuki motorcycle havent had any technical problems as well .

The difference btwn bajaj and tvs is that atleast TVS acknowledge that their products are failures and silently withdraw it from the market ,whereas bajaj continues to sell .

My thoughts abt sucess and failures are not definitely related to the sales ,but more on the longevity , efficiency ,least no of problems encountered etc .

[/quote] And yes please do not make statements like the one above without knowing / understanding facts.[/quote]

I would be very much glad if you could really enlighten me ... hmmm

Last edited by greatmana2000 : 27th January 2008 at 14:14.
Old 28th January 2008, 03:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would be very much glad if you could really enlighten me ... hmmm
Allow me.

First off, to set the record straight, the Centra is the only TVS vehicle known to have had serious engine problems, that too the very first batch. It was not a design problem at all. It was an assembly issue that was immediately rectified when the root cause got identified. Customers were given free replacement crankshafts, some without their knowledge even. I know because I worked in the plant which also made Centra crankshafts. That line ran 24/7 to make replacement cranks for the bikes already on the road, plus those being currently produced. To my knowledge every single one has been replaced, and there were no subsequently reported failures. What killed the bike was the bad name it got from that first batch.

Yes the victor had alignment and chain issues. I know nothing of any camshaft or engine failures in the Victor. Never heard of such a thing in the 1 and half years I was with the company.

All manufacturers have had teething problems with their products when first launched. Nobody's a saint. Bajaj had major issues with the CT100 when it came out. I know Pulsars with worn-out cylinder bores within 25,000 km of normal running. The first pulsars had clutch issues.

When HH came out with the CBZ (their first all-new engine family since the CD100), they had issues with people reporting poor mileage. Turned out to be poor compression. Why? Burnt valve seats.

I wont even mention Kinetic here for obvious reasons.

Are you saying TVS doesn't use the proper material for their cranks and cams? That's bullshiite. The exact same parts take abuse in their race engines that you can't even imagine. They are designed and manufactured using the exact same tools used by other manufacturers. They are thrashed for 500 hours at full load full speed on the dyno until something breaks (and guess what, that something is neither the camshaft nor the crank). In other words, they are engineered, but you might not be aware of such a thing because you talk about forged camshafts and heat-treated bearings (if a bearing isnt heat-treated you will have a spectacular meltdown within seconds of starting the engine, and a forged camshaft? Let me have some of whatever you're smoking man).

Obviously you know nothing of the technicalities involved nor are you in a position to comment on materials, manufacturing techniques, or engineering. So I suggest you refrain from doing so on a public forum and thus making a fool out of yourself.

Most Viewed