Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2008, 21:49   #16
BHPian

I TDed Hero Velocity. The accelaration and the top speed looked reasonable for city driving. I felt that the vehicle was dragging me sideways, could be an issue with that particular TD vehicle though.

I did not buy the vehicle as I did not feel it was worth the money they were asking (about 36.5 OTR) and really did not think it helps you contribute to the environment. Also, please don't go by the running cost numbers published by the Manufacturers. You need to account for the battery replacement cost as well. A typical battery lasts for about 500 charge/discharge cycles. If you assume 40 kms/charge, the life of a battery is about 20k kms. I am sure the batteries would cost around 10k for this vehicle. The actual running cost comes to >Rs. 0.75/km. If you calculate the running costs of a petrol scooter, it would work out very close to this. For the Environmentalists, the pollution is not actually reduced. It is simply transferred elsewhere (to the power generating stations, unless it is hydro-electric). Plus, you carry loads of lead which is also very hazardous.
Old 16th April 2008, 15:18   #17
VBV
BHPian

Hi TK,

I'm in the same soup. I'm looking at a electric bike for small commutes (like my wife dropping kiddo to school), and I think this is where the electric bike can fit in well.

Eko seems good, we have a relative couple who are fairly well built who are running EKO and they had good reviews. But they're afraid it might not stay long and the company might wind up(No real indications, just a feeling that they have). So they advised TVS Scooty for me. So it is now a choice b/w Hero velocity and TVS Scooty electric.

I want it to be light on weight, cost per km and maintenance.

I think that's a future that India will go towards in the scooterette market, but I don't know when.

Regards,
Vinay
Old 5th June 2008, 15:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

I think this thread could help the hassled (by petrol) ones to look at this situation and move over to the electric ones, specifically if you dont do long drives on your scooters/ bikes and use them only for office/ home travel.
Old 12th April 2009, 18:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Electric cycle / moped

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
we bought a no brand electric moped / cycle with a speed limit of around 30kph and a range of 30-35km per charge. It does not have a speedo / odo meter, only has a meter showing the charge.
I just thought that I would update about this humble vehicle.

It is into its 31st month of usage. I have to say that this has withstood the test of time. Hardly maintenance needed except for a brake wire (replaced by a bajaj Auto clutch cable) and a pedal ( one was broken, replaced by a Hero cycle pair). No punctures. There was a 'blown fuse' problem initially. The loose fuse carrier was replaced by a better one and a little rerouting.

It is used by any of our staff members except on shop holidays. It is still on the original tyres and brake pads.

The steed in its parking place (picture taken on 12/04/2009)
Need advice on electric scooter-image089.jpg
Old 12th April 2009, 19:18   #20
BHPian

Biggest Disk brakes of all automobiles

Quote:
Hi,

It is still on the original tyres and brake pads.
(picture taken on 12/04/2009)
Attachment 124340
It just struck me that the electric cycle pictured here has the probably the biggest disc brake of any city automobile. The brake pads are small though. Our humble sports cycle braking system has been copied onto present day sports cars. Just checking out my daughters bicycles disc brake system with envy hoping our cars had such big rotors.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 12th April 2009 at 19:24.
Old 13th April 2009, 18:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
It just struck me that the electric cycle pictured here has the probably the biggest disc brake of any city automobile. The brake pads are small though.
The best part with this vehicle is that it has more cycle parts and would be easy to maintain. Maybe just the reason why nothing ever fails.

I bought this to do a long term test (like the auto magazines) and it has performed marvellously. We have measured to confirm that it charges the cycle with just one unit of current.

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 55022 (56246) kms, 13.99 kpl, 45km/day)
(Honda City CVT, Sep 07, 31254 kms, 13.25 kpl, 55km/day)
Old 21st May 2009, 18:48   #22
BHPian

Go green on Electric

As i understand from all the posts

Best Electric scooters are from:

BSA
Hero
Scooty
Yo

This will be sufficient

60km range per charge
2 adult seating
40kmph speed
overnite charge
Long battery life

Motor and battery are the key
Old 21st May 2009, 19:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
It just struck me that the electric cycle pictured here has the probably the biggest disc brake of any city automobile.
that may actually be the electric motor directly mounted on the wheel.
Old 21st May 2009, 20:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarprusty View Post

60km range per charge
2 adult seating
40kmph speed
overnite charge
Long battery life

Motor and battery are the key
As of now the Scooty and Yo Speed are capable of doing 45Kmph. They require registration, insurance and a DL. The rest don't require any of the above, but are limited to 25Kmph.
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Go for yo speed! I am using one for over a year, with more than 4000kms clocked. No problems whatsoever. Besides, it's motor is superior to TVS, 33AH as compared to 22AH.
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:05   #26
BHPian

Yo Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Go for yo speed! I am using one for over a year, with more than 4000kms clocked. No problems whatsoever. Besides, it's motor is superior to TVS, 33AH as compared to 22AH.
Price and range please
Old 25th May 2009, 14:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

price: Rs.38XXX in Pune (don't remember exactly)
Range: around 40-45kms for single rider
around 30 kms for two up ( total 125 kgs)

The bike still had some juice left after riding the above distance, but I never 'emptied' the batteries, so don't know the full range.
Old 25th May 2009, 16:02   #28
BHPian

My wife owns a TVS Scooty Teenz Electric (STE). Its quite good. I am all of 6ft and 90 kilos and it pulls me with ease, though I haven't tested the mileage with me riding it.

Typically expect only about 75% of the promised mileage. The STE promises 40kms on full charge and gives upto 30kms in bangalore road conditions and road inclinations.

Read my wife's opinions at Search | blogs.prashu.com
Old 17th July 2009, 18:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

An update

Hi,

Quote:
Hi,
It is into its 31st month of usage. I have to say that this has withstood the test of time.
In the 34th month of usage, 4 days back, the cycle was reported as not working. It went into a pothole and stopped.

Suspected a break in wire and so dismantled the battery pack. Except for a cut in the leads of one of the 3 (12V 12W Amco Yuasa Lead Acid Maintenance Free Battery) batteries, could not find anything else. Insulated the part and assembled it. But the charger when connected indicated that it is fully charged though the cycle would not work on battery power. When connected to the charger the motor was working normally.

Dismantled the pack. One of the batteries was showing only 10.5 V whereas the others were showing 12. 5 / 12.6. Took the 'bad' one to a friendly battery shop which confirmed that the battery indeed is not healthy anymore. The technician from there came to my shop to check the other batteries with what was termed as a 'load tester' and declared that one of them is 90% healthy whereas the other one was about 60%.

Ordered for a battery (luckily / coincidentally he was the dealer for Amco Yuasa) of same specs. Quoted 1700 and finally billed for 1600 (he did not take the old one though).

Fitted the new and the older two in the pack, checked the voltage, all were in the 12.5 / 12.6 V range, charged it in the cycle and from today it is back to its regular duty.

Incidentally noticed that the headlight was not working. The bulb is gone. It is a 40V 5W one. Could not source one today.
Old 20th July 2009, 16:02   #30
BHPian

Thats more like an electric cycle.

You can get conversion kits in the US ex. The Bionx electric motor and battery electric bike conversion kit

A cheaper one with brushless hub motor can be seen here : My E bike.net : Electric Bike Conversion Kit

Most Viewed