Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:19   #31
BANNED

Can anyone tell me the Electric Scooter Options Available in India at present . I'm considering one for easy commuting near by home.

If any one of you owns this, please provide the feedback.
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:22   #32
BHPian

I am told as these electric scooters are not registered with RTO they cannot be towed when parked in a no parking zone. If its true then this is the best vehicle to go to the market.
Old 22nd August 2010, 13:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
I am told as these electric scooters are not registered with RTO they cannot be towed when parked in a no parking zone. If its true then this is the best vehicle to go to the market.
Firstly, what makes you say that they cannot be towed? Is there such a rule written? An electric scooter of the same size as a normal scooterette (like TVS scooty electric) is indistinguishable from the petrol version. This being the case, its highly unlikely the cop will bend over and check what kind of engine and drive train the vehicle has before towing it away.

Anyway, my TVS Scooty Electric comes with an R/C book and insurance, so I suppose it has indeed been registered with the RTO.
Old 22nd August 2010, 19:10   #34
BHPian

An Traffic Police confirmed that they do not pick these vehicles as they donot have any registration nos.

Imagine they pick up 15 red scooty's w/o no.plate the confusion they will have while returning them as there will be no license, no registration documents nothing it will be just like picking a bicycle.
Old 22nd August 2010, 20:38   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
An Traffic Police confirmed that they do not pick these vehicles as they donot have any registration nos.

Imagine they pick up 15 red scooty's w/o no.plate the confusion they will have while returning them as there will be no license, no registration documents nothing it will be just like picking a bicycle.
@kiren: Exactly what I am saying. I have a TVS Scooty Electric Teenz with an RC book and with a valid KA05 registration - number plates both front and back.

I guess the ones that don't need to be registered are those whose max speed is 20kmph and the ones that are more an electric bicycle, rather than an electric scooter. Remember those Mufa mopeds (sub 20cc) that did not require a license. Maybe those are the kind of things the cop was talking about.
Old 28th September 2010, 19:01   #36
BHPian

Electric-Bicycle in Bangalore Needed

Please refer good Electric-Bicycle in bangalore.
Old 8th November 2010, 15:20   #37
BHPian

I could not find a post dedicated to electric scooter/bike reviews, though this one comes closest. Mods, please consider a dedicated thread for this topic.

I am toying with the idea of picking one up for my urban commute (20kms a day through dense traffic), however could not look up any helpful reviews.

Any recent insights and actual user reviews for purchasing a new electric scooter will be much appreciated. I am looking at a well built, no nonsense and low maintenance vehicle from a reliable manufacturer.

The only links I could look up online are Yo Bikes, BSA, and TVS Scooty Electric which seems to have died an early death. E Bikes seems like an amateur effort: EBikeIndia.com.

Are there any other reviews that I may be missing on TBHP?

Last edited by u_chill : 8th November 2010 at 15:30.
Old 8th November 2010, 19:15   #38
BHPian

Hi u_chill, you will not find much luck here with electric vehicles. Its been over 2 years now with my electric scooty. I am pretty happy with it. My wife and father-in-law who use it daily love it a lot. The only problem I would say is with the battery. It has a warranty of 6 months, but our first set stop giving good mileage after 1 year. After a lot of talking to TVS officials they replaced the batteries through warranty.

The only other problem will be on highways. Since the top speed is only 40, you have to be careful on main roads.

When we bought the scooter, this was the only one that could go to 40kmph speeds. Others all reach only upto 20.
Old 20th August 2012, 10:16   #39
Team-BHP Support

Why don't electric scooters need registration, insurance and license?

I was recently tagging along with one of my cousins when she was planning to buy an electric scooterette for within-city commuting, when I first came to know about this weird practice, which is the subject of this thread. Pardon my ignorance .

She took a test-ride on the scoterette in question and then the salesman told us it didn't require any registration with RTO, didn't require insurance, and there was no need for a driving license either . I was a bit taken aback because we keep seeing Revas on the road with registration plates. The sales guy said later, that the rule exemption was only for E-scooters and not for E-cars. (is this due to more damage capacity of a car than a scooter??)

Some queries (out of curiosity) for automotive gurus to answer :

- Why don't E-scooters require registration (getting an RC book)? Why are they exempted from being registered as a certified vehicle to ply on Indian roads?

- These e-scooters are capable of touching speeds of 40-50 kmph. What happens if there is an accident involving an e-vehicle and something else? How can the other victim (lets say some car which got banged) avoid using his/her insurance if it was not his/her fault?

- Why do these e-scooters not require a driving license to be ridden? By allowing under-age riders and children access to such machines without actually breaking any law, are we not risking accidents if these things are ridden rashly? Why the exemption for DL requirement?

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th August 2012 at 10:20.
Old 21st August 2012, 21:15   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why don't electric scooters need registration, insurance and license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Some queries (out of curiosity) for automotive gurus to answer :

- Why don't E-scooters require registration (getting an RC book)? Why are they exempted from being registered as a certified vehicle to ply on Indian roads?

- These e-scooters are capable of touching speeds of 40-50 kmph. What happens if there is an accident involving an e-vehicle and something else? How can the other victim (lets say some car which got banged) avoid using his/her insurance if it was not his/her fault?

- Why do these e-scooters not require a driving license to be ridden? By allowing under-age riders and children access to such machines without actually breaking any law, are we not risking accidents if these things are ridden rashly? Why the exemption for DL requirement?
I think the RTO rule is that anything <50cc or its equivalent does not need regn or a license to drive.

Sometime back I had a plan to buy an e-scooter for my wife and had done some research and test drives of a few models. From my learning at that point, not every e scooter is exempt from Regn and license. Most models are rated at 250watts. From my experience although the speedo was marked up to 50-60, these things could at max go at 25km/hr (the 250Watts version), maybe slightly more when on full charge. There were some other models at 500Watts and 800watts which could go at 40km/hr and 50km/hr respectively, the 800watts one needed a registration and license. This was available from BSAMotors earlier, now they only have the 250watts version.

The 250watts version can be equated to a glorified bicycle. Its not really capable of being driven rashly. And if a cycle bangs a car or a person, there is nothing that can be done. I guess the same applies to an E-scooter.

I would suggest that unless your friends commute is 1-2 km which does not involve main roads, she should not go for an e-scooter.
Old 2nd June 2016, 18:21   #41
BHPian

Re: Need advice on electric scooter

Waking up this old thread..

We are in need of a tiny scooterette (light & small) for daily local usage of <2-3km daily (30-40km max in a week). Looking for something which is not expensive (20-25k range) and dependable. I am blank on the models available & their specs.

Ather promises a lot and creates hope for a e-scooter, but I am pretty sure that they would be priced like vespas while all others are in the scooty price range (I.e., 2x-3x) and hence won't be worth a wait for now.

I do remember the woes of owners of these e-scooters few years ago. A friend had borrowed his relative's fully charged one to goto MG Road - not even 10km distance - and was stranded there at night. I guess the situation has improved since then.

So, need your suggestions for a low priced small e-scooty?
Old 2nd June 2016, 18:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Waking up this old thread..

We are in need of a tiny scooterette (light & small) for daily local usage of <2-3km daily (30-40km max in a week). Looking for something which is not expensive (20-25k range) and dependable. I am blank on the models available & their specs.

Ather promises a lot and creates hope for a e-scooter, but I am pretty sure that they would be priced like vespas while all others are in the scooty price range (I.e., 2x-3x) and hence won't be worth a wait for now.

I do remember the woes of owners of these e-scooters few years ago. A friend had borrowed his relative's fully charged one to goto MG Road - not even 10km distance - and was stranded there at night. I guess the situation has improved since then.

Coincidentally, on my way home yesterday, I saw an electric scooter which looked very similar to the Hero Pleasure. I looked a bit more closely, and it was indeed manufactured by Hero Motocorp! Being a mainstream 2-wheeler manufacturer manufacturing/selling an electric scooter, so I guess it would be a bit better than the Chinese stuff that is sold unregulated.

Pity that Mahindra is not releasing its electric 2-wheelers in India, as they are selling it for export market!
Old 2nd June 2016, 19:42   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post

I don't think anything much has changed in this space. Hero Electric remains the only major E-Scooter company and even their reasonably decent models still cost upward of 30K (the ones with no registration required and max speed of 25kmph). Having said that, their most recent launch Hero Nyx (just launched yesterday) looks promising with an OTR price of 29K. But it is available only in 15 cities. Not sure where you are based. I don't think it will be available in paradise any time soon .Hero Nyx Link. But you can only buy it online for now via Paytm. (Link)

Overall, 30K seems too much considering the constraints. Maybe better to by a regular scooty.

Edit: The government is planning to bring E Scooters also into the regular stream of license and registration required. Related Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Coincidentally, on my way home yesterday, I saw an electric scooter which looked very similar to the Hero Pleasure. I looked a bit more closely, and it was indeed manufactured by Hero Motocorp! Being a mainstream 2-wheeler manufacturer manufacturing/selling an electric scooter, so I guess it would be a bit better than the Chinese stuff that is sold unregulated.
I think what you would have seen is 'Hero Electric', I think the base roots are the same, but Hero Electric is not tied to Hero Motorcorp in anyway. Completely independent entities.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 2nd June 2016 at 19:45.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 14:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Overall, 30K seems too much considering the constraints. Maybe better to by a regular scooty.
Spoke to a gentleman (aged person) riding an 2+ year old Ampere scooty. He outrightly rejected my thought of buying an e-scooter if I want anything dependable. These scootys run out of charge midway randomly was his comment.

Guess going for a regular scooty is the way forward now.

PS: Paradise is Bangalore
null is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 18:05   #45
BHPian

Hi, I'm considering this electric bicycle, specifically the E60 variant - https://www.fueladream.com/home/campaign/125

I'd mainly be using it for short-distance travel (5-10 km)within Bangalore (commute to work etc). I was torn between a bicycle and a motorbike and this seems like an ideal compromise.

Any thoughts?

Most Viewed