Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2008, 14:19   #1
BHPian

Need advice on electric scooter

Team,
I would like your advice on electric scooters esp the Hero Ultra Velocity as it has the maximum power output of 750w from the lot.
Questions?
1. Will it reliable.
2. Can it withstand all the indian road conditions esp in Banglore.
3. How much load it can take.

Please let me know your inputs.
Old 28th January 2008, 15:40   #2
BHPian

Test drive

Please take a test drive with a pillion on a overbridge. Most electric bikes cant climb. This makes them useless.
Old 28th January 2008, 15:46   #3
BHPian

stay away from electric scooter. they are not yet good enough to use for doubles riding and have terrible range. it will take another 5-7 years of technological improvements before they are worth considering for use in india.
Old 28th January 2008, 16:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

Actually, bridges are fine. Take any of these babies on a good road - the koramangla flyover comes to my mind with enough traffic. Or even the BTM layout road. Let traffic pass you on both sides. Then ask yourself whether that utterly helpless feeling of being a prey is worth the money?
Old 28th January 2008, 16:06   #5
BHPian

1. Will it reliable.
I have test driven a few electric bikes but found them to be terrible. Not to mention i have an overweight 6 foot frame. Not that i was planning to buy one. Test drove due to curiosity. When it comes to hero group I would say take a test drive to decide.

2. Can it withstand all the indian road conditions esp in Banglore.
I haven't been around in bangalore much apart from occasional trips. As far as i have seen riding single on these bikes will be good enough considering the "oh so slow" traffic in bangalore. The best part is that unlike 2 wheelers they don't consume any fuel( energy) on standstill.

3. How much load it can take.
At straight roads two medium sized adults. At uphills maybe not even one.

PS please consider the fact that "cost of new battery" + "electricity consumed" in terms of money needs to be very less as compared to fueling up a petrol vehicle. Else it doen't make any sense economically and there is no driving pleasure et all
Old 14th March 2008, 10:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

TVS Scooty ELEC

Raghu...if ur serious about going the electric way then wait for a few months... TVS is testing its Electric Scooty since june 2007... still ironing out the creases i believe... its looks cool and best part... if it hits the road... that will be the only elec automobile in india to have 100's of service stations... the Eco bike in blr has only a few...!!! the Hero elec bike has hardly any across india..!!! sad...

( - Reva car has hmmm.... less than all the digits on my body - 20 i think across india)
Old 14th March 2008, 15:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Electric moped / cycle

Hi,

Though not directly related to the question,

we bought a no brand electric moped / cycle with a speed limit of around 30kph and a range of 30-35km per charge. It does not have a speedo / odo meter, only has a meter showing the charge.

We have used it upto an estimated 25km on a charge, single person of average build.

It s 18months old, runs without a problem, no punctures yet and absolutely no maintenance so far. It takes 4 hours to charge completely and uses 1 unit of electricity (measured) in the process.

At 26 working days for an average month it is 468 days of usage. If I use a petrol moped for this, even if it consumes a litre of petrol every 3 days, it would be approximately 156 litres of petrol and at about 48.04 per litre would have costed about Rs 7500. Even assuming a unit everyday for charging it would be Rs 2340.00 at Rs 5 a unit. Add servicing cost for the moped.

I am happy with it. Of course, it has its limitations, but if it can be used with the limitations, it is worthwhile. This is 250W machine and does not need registration or insurance to be on the road and no license to ride it. If the charge is over, it can be pedalled.

It cost me 12900 and the present cost is Rs 13500. Local service is available if needed.
Old 14th March 2008, 15:20   #8
Team-BHP Support

@trrk

Bike Pictures, please.
Old 14th March 2008, 15:23   #9
rippergeo

@trrk- where did you get this scooter from? its very interesting! have been toying with the idea of electric scooters for sometime.

Old 14th March 2008, 15:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> @trrk- where did you get this scooter from? its very interesting! have been
> toying with the idea of electric scooters for sometime.

I specifically said moped / cycle. It can't be classified as a scooter. I bought it in Alleppey itself. If you want a better looking one than what I have is also available in another showroom. But it is 18000. Then you have scooterettes for Rs 22000 and 26000. These are all imported. All these that I have mentioned don't need registartion or insurance nor a license.

The Hero scooter in question with the 750W pack costs more, but also can be compared to a regular scooter and needs registration, insurance, license and a helmet.
Old 14th March 2008, 16:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

I did see a chinese import electric cycle for about 14k at Metro Hyderabad.
Old 14th March 2008, 16:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooo

If you live/plan to use it through any decent traffic area - please DONT. These are SUICIDE machines.

They reach their top speed (read 25-30) ultra quick and then zilch. They have lesser stability and are a nuisance in areas where traffic is fast. Back in amdavad where they are VERY common, they keep putting their owners in harm's way - its just too slow to survive in half decent traffic.
Old 14th March 2008, 17:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hi bblost,

> Bike Pictures, please.

It is an electric cycle / moped. Must be similar to the one you have seen.

Here they are:
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on electric scooter-front.jpg  

Need advice on electric scooter-right-profile.jpg  

Need advice on electric scooter-back.jpg  

Need advice on electric scooter-left-profile.jpg  

Need advice on electric scooter-chargertimer.jpg  

Old 1st April 2008, 00:01   #14
BHPian

Look...i have done a research in this sgement to reply your doubt, honestly right noow the HRO Ultra velocity is the best option but than its leg space is not that satifactory, the TVS E sccoty is ****T do not thnk to but it as its over all travel radious per charge is quite less, YO bikes are like use & throw, I suggest you buy the 750 watt Machine comming from the HERO ULTRA company that is supposed to get launched in a few days...
Old 5th April 2008, 15:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlerowdy View Post
Look...i have done a research in this sgement to reply your doubt, honestly right noow the HRO Ultra velocity is the best option but than its leg space is not that satifactory, the TVS E sccoty is ****T do not thnk to but it as its over all travel radious per charge is quite less, YO bikes are like use & throw, I suggest you buy the 750 watt Machine comming from the HERO ULTRA company that is supposed to get launched in a few days...

Now Hero Ultra have parted away... so the new vehicle may be months away on the other hand yo speed motor has a 750 watt motor with carrying capacity of 130 kg having range of 50 kms. & 60 kms for 70kg.

There is no vehicle available to match its capacity having a decent network & also there are fair reviews for yo speed... u can go with it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks