Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2008, 12:37   #1
BHPian

Upgrading Yamaha RX135

I have a Yamaha RX135...2002 model. I want to replace the carburetor for better pick up...which is the best suited one for this model...need advice

Last edited by bharath.kan : 13th February 2008 at 12:45.
Old 14th February 2008, 18:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath.kan View Post
I have a Yamaha RX135...2002 model. I want to replace the carburetor for better pick up...which is the best suited one for this model...need advice
I am not sure what level of pickup you are expecting. Why dont you start with stage one mods like free flow filters,expansion chambers etc.

If the result pickup doesnt excite you, go to the next level of porting, replacing reed values, bigger jets etc. Take mods stage by stage so you can achieve the desired level as I learned from personal experience.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 14th February 2008 at 18:48.
Old 14th February 2008, 19:05   #3
BANNED

First start with Digital CDI then air filter along with bigger jets may be a bigger carb itself(flat slider will be the best), Porting, race piston and long connecting rods, carbon fibre reeds, fully synthetic gear and 2T oil(preffered Motul), weight reduction and if its 4 speed then make her 5 speeder and you are done.
Old 14th February 2008, 20:47   #4
BHPian

bharath, what are the current mods on your bike?
Old 14th February 2008, 23:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

First start with an air filter like the Uni or the K&N, upjet your carb. You will get a slight improvement in performance.

If you want more add a well designed expansion chamber to the setup. Again upjet your carb.

For more performance think about getting your RX ported from a reputed tuner. Increase the compression by milling the head. Again check and upjet the carb. You might have to use another expansion chamber which will match the new port setup. Your old expansion chamber might not work properly.

This is not the end but if you do upto this level you'll get good performance out of your RX. Bigger carbs and aftermarket CDIs can be thought of during later stages it's not needed at this stage, the stock CDI is good enough.

Last edited by Sankar : 14th February 2008 at 23:31.
Old 15th February 2008, 08:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

In addition to what Sankar has rightly advised, I want to add some info that may help you.

As far as I know, some years of the RX135 came with a larger VM22 carb. For emissions they went back to the VM20 in later years. You might want to check exactly which carb you have.

Just changing the carb wont net you anything, actually maybe a little top end but the full advantage of the carb wont be realized. Your first step should be to go to someone who knows what he's doing, and get a matched port job and expansion chamber, along with jetting. Do NOT buy a generic chamber and then get it ported by someone.

Then go ahead and get the supporting equipment like an aftermarket CDI ignition and a UNI filter.

Anything over a 22 mm wont be useful on a street-oriented engine IMO. People will throw around big numbers like "Yeah, my bike pulls to 13000 rpm" but ask him in what gear he drives around town, the answer will be 1st gear. The point is, a bigger carb alone is useless.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 15th February 2008 at 08:31.
Old 15th February 2008, 11:59   #7
Team-BHP Support

A motorcycle is God's way to remind us he exists.

You can do whatever is possible to increase the bhp the torque and all that force but how will you get your bike to stop without breaking you up.

I suggest you change your bike to a bigger one.
Why don't you check out the 220 cc bikes from Bajaj and HH.
or try your luck in finding a RD350E.

Its not just about going fast, its also about coming to a stop fast and safe.
Old 15th February 2008, 12:58   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I am not sure what level of pickup you are expecting. Why dont you start with stage one mods like free flow filters,expansion chambers etc.

If the result pickup doesnt excite you, go to the next level of porting, replacing reed values, bigger jets etc. Take mods stage by stage so you can achieve the desired level as I learned from personal experience.

i have not installed any add on to the existing machine...i wanted to know the brand of the equipments which can fit into the vehicle...which will be of great help.
Old 15th February 2008, 16:01   #9
BHPian

as of now there is no add on done in the vehicle...it would be great if anyone can be specific on the specs and brands of the add ons..
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:16   #10
BHPian

Hey did some improvement in my Yamaha...first of all i removed the big and heavy silencer to the past and traditional Yamaha silencer...then the cab part i have just cleared out the clouding and u can find the difference...

am planning to add some performance upgrades to the vehicle and will keep you posted on the same....thanks for the advise guys

pic of the bike and specs will be let out after the complete make over
Old 30th July 2008, 01:08   #11

RPM gauge for rx 135

Hey guys, just got my hands on a brilliant Rx 135 five speed. well i was wondering if it possible to plant a worm gear for rpm like RXZ. planning tomod for a digital speedo panel..
Old 30th July 2008, 10:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath.kan View Post
Hey did some improvement in my Yamaha...first of all i removed the big and heavy silencer to the past and traditional Yamaha silencer...then the cab part i have just cleared out the clouding and u can find the difference...

am planning to add some performance upgrades to the vehicle and will keep you posted on the same....thanks for the advise guys

pic of the bike and specs will be let out after the complete make over
Bharath any updates from your side?
Old 14th September 2008, 01:24   #13
BHPian

Rx 135 5 Speed

this is my friends bike rx 135 5 speed, 2003 model. as u can see, he keeps his bike well. just got the tyres replaced by mrf rear ones and got the tail lamp and all indicators changed today. battery used is exide 7 volts. opinion wanted for performance mods
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading Yamaha RX135-pic1865.jpg  

Upgrading Yamaha RX135-pic1866.jpg  

Upgrading Yamaha RX135-pic1867.jpg  

Upgrading Yamaha RX135-pic1868.jpg  

Upgrading Yamaha RX135-pic1869.jpg  

Upgrading Yamaha RX135-pic1870.jpg  

Old 14th September 2008, 12:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Dear pulsarmaniac,

Are you sure that is a 5-speed? The graphics look totally different. The stance though is the same. AFAIK, the 5-speed is a bit taller. Atleast mine was compared to my friends 4-speed.
Old 14th September 2008, 13:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

^^ The 5 speed has different clutch cover, oil pump cover and LH engine cover and a different speedometer with marking for the 5th gear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks