Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2008, 11:31   #1
BHPian

First impression of Honda Aviator

Team,
Yesterday in the evening went with my friend to Silicon Honda in Bangalore to check out the new Aviator. Rep called me up to have a look at the vehicle as I had given my number as one of the prospective buyers. See below list as to my findings.
1. Looks either you go buy it or not type.
2. Choice of colors is good esp the cherry red one is awesome.
3. It is made for people with height (need to check with my wifey if she is comfortable).
4. Not given for test ride as they are yet to get the RTO approval.
5. started the vehicle sounds very very same as the activa.
6. Body and build are solid, I feel the best in the class.
7. Head lights are very good and gives a commanding driving position.
8. On road in bangalore will be around 45k for drum adn 49k+ for the disc brakes.
9. Looks like there is no big demand for the vehicle as I am fourth guy since a week to enquire. Delivery is pretty fast compared to others like Activa, Access and etc if any.

Overall it looks like its worth a try. I will test drive it Thursday this week and let you all know my inputs.
Old 20th February 2008, 00:30   #2
BHPian

i am made to understand that hmsi dealers are after the blaze customer database at any cost to sell the aviator to them. hah! thats will be a joke! a 102cc aviator replacing the 165cc blaze? of course lets not talk about fit and finish and brand name and resale value etc. i am at the moment referring to the performance aspect thats all and not going to debate on the other aspects.
Old 20th February 2008, 01:11   #3
BHPian

Please post some pictures raghutk, the next time you visit the showroom.
Old 20th February 2008, 01:27   #4
BHPian

Pics

Some pics courtesy praveen sathaye on flickr.
Sorry cant post thumbnails coz flicke doesnt allow that...

Apparently is got the same Super Reliable Activa engine, which has been tinkered to be smoother and more fuel efficient, (improving on something that seems to be perfect!?!) Also, it had metal parts at places prone to accidents to decrease damage and also repair costs.
It comes in 2 versions the higher version has a front disc.
Being slimmer than the Activa and lot more maneuver able than the Activa, also has front telescopic suspension, light front & rear mag wheels.
Seems like this is an upgrade to the ageing Activa.
Reviews say its a good looking thing, but when i saw it at the Expo the meter dial looked a bit bland, pretty good apart from that.
Read someone compare it to a kine Blaze!?! that's the freakiest comparison.
I've read in Tbhp theads there's a lot more to a bike than just the CC, what would one do with a Swaraj Mazda truck with a Ferrari engine in it?!

Last edited by gendarmee : 20th February 2008 at 01:30. Reason: Typo
Old 20th February 2008, 01:53   #5
BHPian

Couldn't stop chuckling!!
I had to post this...If Honda were to compete with the Kine Blade/Blaze they'd get this baby in or mebbe just a 200cc Sis, Tag line-Made for the urban guy who doesnt want to get late to work!

Wohoo!
Now that's competition for the blaze.
BTW thats a Honda.
this is the 2004 version-
Engine: liquid-cooled 4-stroke 8-valve parallel twin
Engine capacity: 398 cc
Fuel system: electronic injection
Starter system: electric
Output: 38 hp at 8,000 rpm
Torque: 3.7 kg-m at 6,500 rpm
Front suspension: hydraulic fork ø 41 mm, 120 mm axle travel; Rear: 2 adjustable shock absorbers
Front brake: 256 mm disc, 3-piston calliper; Rear: 240 mm disc, dual-piston calliper (CBS combined braking)
Front tyre: 120/80 x 14; Rear: 150/70 x 13
Seat height: 740 mm
Fuel tank capacity: 16 litres
Dry weight: 228 kg

The 2008 version is 582CC with ABS.
Now this Swaraj Mazda is worth keeping or even a 200cc version of it.

But hell. I still like things which are small & powerful.

Last edited by gendarmee : 20th February 2008 at 02:01. Reason: typo again
Old 20th February 2008, 08:45   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The rear half of the Aviator reminds me of our old Lamby's and Vijai Super's.
Old 20th February 2008, 10:36   #7
BANNED

Use to see in calenders during late 80's the Honda Tact and Fusion, Tact was just 50 CC 2 stroke 5.8 BHP machine which is very impressive and Fusion was 250 CC 22 BHP machine.Saw the lot of this scooter on monday in airport road loaded in truck.
Old 20th February 2008, 19:31   #8
BHPian

gendarmee, i was not comparing aviator to the blaze. i mentioned that hmsi dealers want to get hold of the blaze customer database to offer them the aviator and my post was in that vein.
Old 20th February 2008, 21:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

gendarmee i really want to get the first scooter in the third pic. Love this vehicle and i dont know why
Old 21st February 2008, 16:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

does not look as good as an activa, i mean it would not suit both male/female riders, sort of looks more biased to wards female riders, you see the size of the bike, the shape looks more like the hh pleasure kind and very, sort of lean like the new flyte, and imo wont suit the make riders look wise! well this is all after looking at the scooter from the pictures, not sure how it looks in real, i mean about the size primarily, hope honda has not added a cousin to dio who will suit the fairer sex better than the latter! you see its got disk brakes after blaze!

but other wise there this suspension upgrade which happens to look quite big will make all activa owners put a smile on their face, when and if they upgrade to this!

let me check it out in the showroom myself and write about it!

Last edited by rider60 : 21st February 2008 at 16:27.
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
does not look as good as an activa, i mean it would not suit both male/female riders, sort of looks more biased to wards female riders, you see the size of the bike, the shape looks more like the hh pleasure kind and very, sort of lean like the new flyte, and imo wont suit the make riders look wise! well this is all after looking at the scooter from the pictures, not sure how it looks in real, i mean about the size primarily, hope honda has not added a cousin to dio who will suit the fairer sex better than the latter! you see its got disk brakes after blaze!

but other wise there this suspension upgrade which happens to look quite big will make all activa owners put a smile on their face, when and if they upgrade to this!

let me check it out in the showroom myself and write about it!
Not really I took my wife to showroom whether she is comfortable with this scoot but looks like height is bit more ( she is 5.4ft) for her. But since the bike was not there for test drive yet she couldn't really try. I will right abt once again as we are going tomorrow to check this out again.
Old 25th February 2008, 16:01   #12
BHPian

Good that aviator has good suspension as Activa suspension was just too bad.
But I feel the Aviator is overpriced, or at least shouldve had a 125cc engine. In that way, the Access is better value.

Though for gals & ladies , Flyte is best to ride and best value for money.
Old 25th February 2008, 23:14   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie View Post
Good that aviator has good suspension as Activa suspension was just too bad.
But I feel the Aviator is overpriced, or at least shouldve had a 125cc engine. In that way, the Access is better value.
May be Activa's suspension isnt the best around. Have you tried to ride an activa at 40-50 over a bad road? it handles it like a breeze.
There is more to any bike than the cubic capacity, no ones going to race on it nor is anyone gonna sprint to 60 as soon as they start the bike.
F.E, overall quality also matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie View Post
Though for gals & ladies , Flyte is best to ride and best value for money.
Old 26th February 2008, 11:37   #14
BHPian

Aviator looks good to me! Haven't taken test ride though...
Old 27th February 2008, 00:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
May be Activa's suspension isnt the best around. Have you tried to ride an activa at 40-50 over a bad road? it handles it like a breeze.
There is more to any bike than the cubic capacity, no ones going to race on it nor is anyone gonna sprint to 60 as soon as they start the bike.
F.E, overall quality also matter.

is it? not quite my dear.

seriously, breeze or not the leading link suspension is outdated and of that there is no doubt.

Most Viewed