Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2008, 22:12   #1

Good Bike Mechanic in Chennai?

Hi,

Can any body suggest a good mechanic in Chennai, for Unicorn. Finished all free services and not sure if i should go back to the service center.

Help!!
Old 4th November 2008, 20:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Bumping this thread up. I am looking for a good electrical mechanic in chennai who can help me out with a pair of twin horns for my Honda. I presume it may entail a change to the battery and other minor tweaks. Hence looking for a reputed guy. Any pointers in this direction is very much appreciated.
Old 6th December 2008, 23:02   #3
BHPian

hi where are you put up? i stay in mount road pudhupetai area is nearby which has got everything
Old 7th December 2008, 14:34   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by himakar View Post
Hi,

Can any body suggest a good mechanic in Chennai, for Unicorn. Finished all free services and not sure if i should go back to the service center.

Help!!
The unicorn is designed to be a trouble free ,less maintenance bike . The service centre people are much better equipped and I have seen that most of the service centres are much cheaper to service a bike rather than a mechanic on the road .

Incase if your bike is the spokes version then wheel trouing chain adjustment , steering yoke adjustment , hedlight adjustment and other general maintenance and service can be done with mechanics . I advise you against going to roadside mechanics .
Old 7th December 2008, 15:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
I advise you against going to roadside mechanics .
Not all roadside mechanics are wrong or bad. I've had my mechanic who i know for more than 20 odd years. He is good with all bikes, but unfortunately is a roadside shop of around 150 sqft only off RK Salai in Chennai.
Old 7th December 2008, 16:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Bumping this thread up. I am looking for a good electrical mechanic in chennai who can help me out with a pair of twin horns for my Honda. I presume it may entail a change to the battery and other minor tweaks. Hence looking for a reputed guy. Any pointers in this direction is very much appreciated.
I have the twin horns in my unicorn too, from the pulsar family. It sounds very good, a big difference from the stock one. Its direct bolt on, NO change to anything, battery as well as electrical, but did have to splice the horn wire to take out one more output wire. But yes, mine is a ES version so it has much stronger battery than KS version. Did all this in the Castrol Bike zone in Ekkattuthangal.

Last edited by anandtheleo : 7th December 2008 at 16:48.
Old 31st December 2008, 11:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Can any body suggest a good mechanic in Bangalore, for Unicorn...I am quite new to Bangalore ......Service centers near to Old Airport is preferred..
Old 5th January 2009, 19:37   #8

Thanx Headers!!!!.

Can u please give the address of the same?

i have no qualms about a road side mechanics. more over i stay very close to RK salai.
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:09   #9
BHPian

Good bike mechanics in Chennai?

Hey guys,

I own a Pulsar 135LS. The bike's great, however, there's a niggling issue that is refusing to get resolved. The battery's power somehow doesn't seem to get routed to the self starter. At times, the self works fine, while, for most of the time, when I use the self starter, the display goes blank and there are a couple of failed cranks. However, when the service technician tightened a few wires, it started. So it is clearly not an issue of the battery losing charge.

Jai Bajaj (Adyar) has not been able to resolve the issue so far. The last time, they returned the bike as it was given to them. I've given it to them now, but I doubt if they'll do anything productive. My guess is they'll simply charge the battery and hand over the bike.

Is there any good mechanic, whom I can trust with the electricals of the bike? Moreover, I do not want him voiding the warranty. I think it must be a fault with the earthing system, so I think any competent mechanic should be able to resolve it.

Would appreciate suggestions. Mechanics in and around Adyar would be preferred.
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:29   #10
BHPian

Take it to Kivraj - Mount Road. I am sure they would have able to figure out the issue.
Old 2nd August 2010, 17:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

@Fanatic - Pls do not take it to any mechanic other than B.A.S.S since you're prone to loose warranty on your LS. Pls change to any B.A.S.S, but never give it to any of the local mechanic even if he's million times better than A.S.S, atleast till your warranty period is completed.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:32   #12
BHPian

I would like to share my experience. The Sunrise Auto guys just opposite Sutherlands in Velachery (on the small lane) did a great job today for my Splendor and charged me just 80 bucks. They usually ask me to get the stuff. Today, I got a 250 bucks tube, 200 bucks Castrol 4T from the shop opposite to Royal Shoppe on Taramani-Road. He cleaned up carborator, the changed the tube, wheel-alignment, changed the oil. There's the boss and two boys.

Previously I used to take it to the Hero Honda service center at Adyar. Always the bill > 1000 bucks - x changed, y changed. Then I started to go to Shree Motors, a little bigger establishment than Sunrise, opposite A2B (close to Vijay Nagar circle) on the Tambaram road. He too used to give big bills but lesser than the Hero Honda Service center and I had to leave the bike overnight with this guy as well. They always put in the 20s/30s here and there and it adds up to a big number.

Only thing I am driving at is that your street garage guy is the best, the bigger the establishment the higher the running cost and higher is the bill. I am not sure about Sunrise's electricals skills.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a good bike mechanic as well for rebuilding my Shaolin. Any help folks?
Old 11th January 2011, 13:57   #14
BHPian

Re: Good bike mechanics in Chennai?

I went to Sunrise again Saturday. My bike was asking for much-needed attention with the Spark getting all of it off-late. The silencer had rusted and broken with holes at the start of the silencer area. Sunrise auto asked me to go to a welder. I drove and just before the HP bunk on the left side on the 100ft Velachery bypass road there is Guna Autoworks. He said a welding would last 1-2 months. I made the decision to go for a replacement. I walked to Mohana Hero Honda Service agency and to the store below. Silencer = Rs 1325/-, Got a crash-guard (Rs 370/-) too (the previous one fitted at GP Road was a fake one and completely rusted) Guna fitted them for me. Chain was creating a noise as well. He fixed it as well, corrected the idling. Now the bike was real silent during motion. Amazing what replacements can do.

His other charges which I did not do was - 250/- for the general service, 100 for the front wheel suspension part. 60 for water-wash.

This also brings fore the pt that the 8K I spent on the bike at GP Road was not very smart. He had changed alloys as well. However, why should we go to GP road when a good mechanic and genuine parts are available.
Old 31st May 2013, 10:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Good Yamaha service centre at Chennai

With the R15, FZ etc becoming a hit with the customers and Ray also joining the group, Yamaha is definitely on an upswing in India. However, the Service aspect does not seem to be meeting expectations, especially with an increase in the customer base. I don't own a Yamaha, but this is the feedback I am getting from my friends/colleagues who own Yamahas. A colleague owns the Yamaha FZ and has been complaining about the service from the 1st free service onwards (the authorised service centre is on OMR, Chennai). As per him, his new bike sounds like an old badly maintained bike, though he has been getting each service done on schedule at the service centre.

He recently took his bike for an oil-change at a local mechanic, after the free services were over. When the old oil was drained into a pan, my colleague was aghast to not only see it dark & greasy, but also saw metal-filings in the oil. Usually there would be metal-filings from initial engine bedding-in, but this should be seen when the oil is drained for the 1st time, not after all free services are done during each of which oil was "supposedly" changed. He now wonders whether they even changed the oil during the free service, though they charged him for it.

He clearly does not want to go back to the authorised service centre again, but does not know of any good mechanic/garage for Yamaha. Could you guys recommend a good authorised or non-authorised mechanic / garage for Yamaha in the Sholinganallur / Thoraipakkam / Velachery / Medavakkam area ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 31st May 2013 at 11:02.

Most Viewed