Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2005, 11:12   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
People complain that there was no time given to them to buy helmets....
Just goes to show that all those bikers never intended to buy helmets. If i am to buy a bike tom, why would i wait for another year to buy a helmet? I'd buy it even before i take my bike out of the showroom.

One sollution i can think of is, if bike manufacturers start providing a helmet with each bike they sold, people won't have to go hunting for one. And since they've already paid a fair about for that helmet, they'd be forced to use it. (Not bcoz it's safe, but bcoz they paid for it) LOL - that is how you make these people dance to your tunes.

Shan2nu
Old 26th January 2005, 11:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
One sollution i can think of is, if bike manufacturers start providing a helmet with each bike they sold, people won't have to go hunting for one. And since they've already paid a fair about for that helmet, they'd be forced to use it. (Not bcoz it's safe, but bcoz they paid for it) LOL - that is how you make these people dance to your tunes.

Shan2nu
For India, thats really true.
Old 26th January 2005, 19:12   #48
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
People complain that there was no time given to them to buy helmets....

But werent the traffic cops toying with this idea as early as may last year???
The helmet law was bound to come in sooner or later...and the people knew it.
So saying that enough time was not given is all bull%*#@. Be ready to PAY UP the fine without cribbing if you dont wear a helmet.

Just that some are too lazy to do anything about it and some people think its a waste of money. They all think accidents wont happen to them. Indian mentality BAAH!

Drifter
You answered your own question dude.
I know the rule was passed last year but, passing a law and making it compulsory is totally diff. thing.
Im saying they shud give more time so that helmets bought are of good quality. Today i saw at bandra and parle hawkers selling helmets.... what i feel those helmets are not ISI marked, are they?
Old 26th January 2005, 19:19   #49
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Shan2nu

I think the company itself gives a helmet when you purchase a bike.
Because last year my friend bought a HH Passion Plus he was given a helmet along.
Man somedays back I went to Bandra and theres a shop which is famous for accessories. It usually remains closed on Sundays but that day it was open and I just went inside to check out some stuff. When i asked for things they said " Sorry Sir we are open only to sell helmets sir, can you come tomorrow?" I didnt feel bad at all and when i saw the helmets they were so coooool and were looking great for a moment I decided to buy one but then I don own a bike sooooo no use.
Old 26th January 2005, 19:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Im saying they shud give more time so that helmets bought are of good quality.
Give them time for what?? By law you are supposed to take your helmet with you. And since the law was passed in MAY last year. People were aware of this.

I don't see anything wrong with this rule. Why should a biker be allowed to ride a bike without his helmet on? If he's not mature enuf to think about his safety, he doesn't deserve to be on that bike.

Shan2nu
Old 26th January 2005, 19:34   #51
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Give them time for what?? By law you are supposed to take your helmet with you. And since the law was passed in MAY last year. People were aware of this.

I don't see anything wrong with this rule. Why should a biker be allowed to ride a bike without his helmet on? If he's not mature enuf to think about his safety, he doesn't deserve to be on that bike.

Shan2nu
If people were mature enough then there was no need to pass this rule.
Im not against this rule obvs. safety comes first.
The rule was passed last May but it was not made compulsory which is made now. Suddenly one night they wake up and say from tomorrow helmets are compulsory and that too for both the riders and now thats not done.
Its like you go to college today and you come to know exams starting from tomorrow, what will be your reaction? Wherez the prior notice?
Old 26th January 2005, 19:42   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F 50
Wherez the prior notice?
Passing the rule last year - wasnt that notice enough? Didnt the people know the pandus are going to catch them sooner or later for not wearing the helmet? They gave them a year to buy helmets...but almost no one did. Now they sit n crib. Imposing fines and rules is the only way to keep these people safe (atleast somewhat)

Drifter
Old 26th January 2005, 19:45   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its like you go to college today and you come to know exams starting from tomorrow, what will be your reaction? Wherez the prior notice?
This cannot be compared to helmets. If i go to college tom and they don't let me in, bcoz i don't have my ID card with me. I can't do anything. I'll have to go home and get it.

How hard is it to buy a helmet? Just go to a reputed shop and get it. If the people aren't gonna do it on their own, they have to be forced. There's no other way.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 26th January 2005 at 19:49.
Old 26th January 2005, 19:51   #54
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This cannot be compared to helmets. If i go to college tom and they don't let me in, bcoz i don't have my ID card with me. I can't do anything. I'll have to go home and get it.

How hard is it to buy a helmet? Just go to a reputed shop and get it. If the people aren't gonna do it on their own, they have to be forced. There's no other way.

Shan2nu
Im not comparing it to helmet man but to notice.
Dude helmets are not available thats the prob man otherwise there was no reason of people saying and asking bout prior notice.

P.S. I would bunk the college.
Old 26th January 2005, 19:56   #55
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Passing the rule last year - wasnt that notice enough? Didnt the people know the pandus are going to catch them sooner or later for not wearing the helmet? They gave them a year to buy helmets...but almost no one did. Now they sit n crib. Imposing fines and rules is the only way to keep these people safe (atleast somewhat)

Drifter
Boss this is India. People dont understand it quickly.
Old 26th January 2005, 20:03   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude helmets are not available thats the prob man otherwise there was no reason of people saying and asking
That is not at all a valid reason. You can't risk getting killed, just bcoz you don't have a helmet. The bike is not the only mode of transport, you people have the bus, rick, taxi and trains. Use them until you get a helmet.

Never make compromises when safety is involved.

If you lose you DL, you can contact the RTO, get a letter from them, giving you permission to ride without your DL until you get a new one. The presence of a DL in your pocket doesn't directly affect your safety (as long as you have legally aquired one).

But the helmet isn't some object you need to carry, it is "THE" object.

Shan2nu
Old 26th January 2005, 20:07   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boss this is India. People dont understand it quickly.
That is why in India "Zor ka jhatka, zor se lagna chahiye" Hehe. The element of surprise is the only way.

If the government gives these guys a months notice, chances are, after a month the government itself might lose interest. haha

Shan2nu
Old 26th January 2005, 20:17   #58
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is not at all a valid reason. You can't risk getting killed, just bcoz you don't have a helmet. The bike is not the only mode of transport, you people have the bus, rick, taxi and trains. Use them until you get a helmet.
Now there many answers to that sir. Overcrowded buses and trains and fares hiking like anything. Ask anyone who will agree to you to travel in bus and train till the helmet comes, no one.
Quote:
Never make compromises when safety is involved.
Exactly no compromises when it comes to safety. I would rather wait for 2 days and buy ISI marked helmet then to buy it from road-side.

Quote:
If you lose you DL, you can contact the RTO, get a letter from them, giving you permission to ride without your DL until you get a new one. The presence of a DL in your pocket doesn't directly affect your safety (as long as you have legally aquired one).

But the helmet isn't some object you need to carry, it is "THE" object.

Shan2nu
Im sorry but i didnt get you there. DL and safety? Who said having DL means you are a safe driver?
Old 26th January 2005, 20:24   #59
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is why in India "Zor ka jhatka, zor se lagna chahiye" Hehe. The element of surprise is the only way.

If the government gives these guys a months notice, chances are, after a month the government itself might lose interest. haha

Shan2nu
Loll then the riders will say, Bhul gaye! When they remember then we'll see it.
Another reason cud be if money collected is enough for the time being.

What happened when white plates were made compulsory? Obvs. govt. gave time to allow so many people to change it.
Old 26th January 2005, 20:27   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Im sorry but i didnt get you there. DL and safety? Who said having DL means you are a safe driver?
It doesn't. That is why i said, it's not as important as wearing a helmet. But like i've mentioned, if you've legally aquired it, that is by giving a valid test and understanding why rules have to be followed, then you will be a safe driver.

You can't just say, does having a degree make you intelligent. If course it doesn't, but it does make you qualified for the job.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks