Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2005, 15:42   #91
BHPian

Unlike other countries we dont have places here which does fabulous paint job on helmet..
If something like that comes up, may be guys would be tempted to wear helmets with really fancy paint job on it..
We just have ones with some sad boring stickers..
This i feel could improove helmet usage.. After all guys want to look kool in front of the opposite sex, so this would definetly help.....
Old 21st February 2005, 14:55   #92
BHPian

just found this link while browsing through!!

We do need helmets!!

Wear Helmets? Kaun Pakdega?

RiCKY
Old 21st February 2005, 15:11   #93
Senior - BHPian

Whatever the resistance from the people helmets should be compulsory. It the HELMET that saved Karan from head injuries in the Speed Run accident. Seeing the condition of his bike its very difficult to believe anyone could have survived the crash.

Please please wear your helmets not to avoid the fine but for your life

Dippy
Old 21st February 2005, 15:29   #94
BHPian

Ya, Dippy certainly agree with you on that...
But sadly that just doesn't seem to get into their heads.. If at they wear, it's to save themselves from fine.. Some people carry it with them in their hands and putit on when they sight cops...

Hey, but good atleast it's a rule there.. the rule came here and went in no time due to the resistance from the public...

_GOD SAVE THESE PEOPLE_
Old 21st February 2005, 16:13   #95
Senior - BHPian

They have a stay order on the helmet rule. Will be implemented from March 1, for pillions as well. Few months later, we will probably have another stay order. And the game goes on. Which is why, it is much more important and beneficial in the long run, to educate the people instead.
Old 21st February 2005, 17:13   #96
BHPian

ported_head,
when will people realise that 'Helmet saves lives'??!!
I just dont see it happening... Its like no matter what, I won't wear a helmet.. Can't really change these guys.. Educating them, well the way things are going, I don't see things change even after that...

_Peace_
Old 21st February 2005, 18:30   #97
Senior - BHPian

This is real crazy! The helmet rule is first implemented and then its abolished....... then after a few years, its again implemented and yet again abolished! Why all the fuss about wearing a helmet? i dont get it. And both the Government and the public are to be blamed....... the Government isn't making this thing compulsory, while the public is making all the fuss for no reason at all.
Old 21st February 2005, 20:33   #98
BHPian

here's me adding my two pence to this thread...

i think, as indians we have a culture of not bothering about our safety or the safety of others!

we choose a car that has the thinnest body and the highest FE, then take the damn thing to 140kmph with 4 family members in it.

we choose a house that has the highest carpet area - who cares if it is earthquake proof - or it has met fire regulation norms?

we drive a car at top speed, all the time talking with 1 hand on that damn mobile phone

we will carry our wife and two kids on that motorbike, so that we can reach the wedding venue at the least possible cost

to answer this whole question of helmets - i think as a people, we are sadly in survival mode - getting things done at any cost - who cares about the consequences...

this is our sad culture - it is our curse
Old 21st February 2005, 23:55   #99
BHPian

Holla

people dunt get it....
the main reason for the rule...
is to promote road safety...
thats bout it....
if they want to keep changin rules...
y dunt they jus let the everybody make...
their own rules.....
Old 4th October 2005, 00:18   #100
Senior - BHPian

well looking around at things around me in bbay - i think the helmet rule is DEAD.

hardly anyone riding a 2 wheeler wears a helmet these days and the cops are least bothered.

I do not have any words now ............................::speechless:
Old 4th October 2005, 00:20   #101
Senior - BHPian

its something that should be taken care of personally.

I spent more than a 1000 bucks on a helmet just because it was for my own sake. One of my friends who never wore a helmet called me as crazy.

today he himself is wearing the same kinda helmet.
Old 5th October 2005, 06:30   #102
Senior - BHPian

Educating Indians is impossible. You can talk to someone who is receptive to your ideas. Most Indians move about as if they are mr or miss "know all's". Ever seen any accident on the roads? Isn't it hilarious how people get down from their cars and immediately start shouting and arguing over how the other person was wrong? When you have people firmly believeing that whatever they do is right, there is no point trying to drill some sense into them. So educating people about how helmets improve safety is pointless.
Here is what I feel should be done. If any rider meets with an accident and has his brains splashed all over the road, life insurance should'nt honour his policy. I know it's harsh. Why punish the family, you may ask? Why not? Obviously, the person wasn't interested in his family's well being hence he chose not to have his helmet on. If you are not interested in your family why should the government or insurance company? If the rider is injured, let him spend out of his pocket to treat himself. Get all the costly brain surgery done from your pocket. Why go to mediclaim? This is the only way incorrigable Indians will learn.
On a lighter note, we are talking about helmets, while I used to see people riding with hawai chappals! And don't tell me people do that because they can't afford to buy shoes!
Old 5th October 2005, 13:02   #103
BHPian

Personally...I would agree with normally_crazy. Helmets do make sense. I saw a guys lying center of the road with his barins splattered, and blood actually oozing from his head, and he did have a helmet...but we all know what kid of a helmet it might have been...or it must have been slung around his rear-view mirror. A friend of mine met with an accident without a helmet, and got his jaw broken, and had to undergo an eye surgery too. I survived injuries to my head during a terrible accident because of my helmet, Which I spent 900 bucks on. I agree that we should have the right to choose, but what's wrong in wearing a helmet? We know how roads are in Mumbai, and truckers and cars cuse stones to fly helter skelter, and one of them hit my head (with my helmet on, of course). Imagine what could have happened if...
JUst think about it guys.
Old 5th October 2005, 17:17   #104
BANNED

Forcing people to wear helmets only pisses them off. You need to educate them first. After that, if they still don't wear a helmet, well it's their problem. Die if you want to, its your own loss.
Old 5th October 2005, 17:32   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Die if you want to, its your own loss.
Yep. Die if you want to, its your loss. And what about family? They will be very happy, isnt it? God forbid, if that one happens to be only earning member of the family, family may be literally on the streets soon. I really wonder, these so called "social workers" opposing helmet law are going to feed such families.

Most Viewed