Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2008, 23:53   #1
BHPian

Tachometer for the Bajaj Avenger 200

Hi everyone ...

I have decided to buy a new Bajaj Avenger 200 sometime next month and would really love to have a tachometer fitted to the bike. I feel it looks very plain / bare with the unit, since I am so used to having the tachometer in my CBZ and both the cars - Cielo GLX 1998 and Santro Ltd Edition 2007.

I know most people are of the opinion that the single pod instrumentation suits a cruiser but I see so many other low slung cruisers (like the 250cc Kinetic Hyonsung Aquila etc with a tachometer. The picture attached below shows the Aquila. Unfortunately I could not find any pictures showing the instrumentation of the bike.

Anyway I live in Chennai, and I would like some advice on how / where to go about getting the tachometer fitted in the Avenger 200. One of my friends said it might void the warranty so it may be better to do it after the warranty is over. But it looks like the warranty is 2 years on the Avenger .... I can't wait for 2 years for a tachometer on the bike. The Indian market would be more advanced then and I may even be ready to spend 1 or 1.5 lacs on a new 200+ cc cruiser bike by then.

Looking forward to your advice on the same guys .....

Also, a few more things ....

(1) I would like to have the Pulsar 200/220 horn fitted to the Avenger, as well as tubeless tyres. From what I know, the Avenger comes with MRF Zapper 90/90 17-inch (front) and 130/90 15-inch (rear). I would like to upgrade these to 100/90 or 100/80 and 140/90 respctively - but tubeless tyres.

(2) Advise on headlight upgrade
(3) Advise on the K&N air filter - is it worth it ? What is the cost ? Where to get it fitted in Chennai and where ot buy it ?

Kindly advise on the same too.

Thanks and warm regards,
Venkat
Attached Thumbnails
Tachometer for the Bajaj Avenger 200-aquila.jpg  

Old 20th March 2008, 21:59   #2
BHPian

No replies ?? Waiting for your views / opinions guys ......
Old 20th March 2008, 22:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

140 is an good upgrade ..loks mean. I have it. But it would be better to keep the front for many reasons.

The headlamps are good. Maybe a better bulb.

Tacho, yes get it. 200 comes with fuel guage.

If you travel a lot, avoid tubeless as you will find less puncture walla who works on tube less.
Old 20th March 2008, 23:20   #4
BHPian

Do some hunting at Pudupet, ask the whole load of bike dealers and you'll get to the tacho's.
Old 21st March 2008, 02:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

a pulsar 150/180's mechanical tacho should fit the bike but you will need to get the right mechanic to do a good job.

i think you can put in a 100/90W bulb with out issues too but will need a bigger battey. The alternator you have can take the load already but you will need to get good wires.

i dont advice the K&N, you will need to get perfect jetting job done if you choose to get the K&N and if really interested then RC-1060 is the model number you should get for the bike.

do get those horns but you will need a good branded relay and wires for the horns to perform at the full potential.
Old 21st March 2008, 09:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
Hi everyone ...

I have decided to buy a new Bajaj Avenger 200 sometime next month and would really love to have a tachometer fitted to the bike. I feel it looks very plain / bare with the unit, since I am so used to having the tachometer in my CBZ and both the cars - Cielo GLX 1998 and Santro Ltd Edition 2007.

I know most people are of the opinion that the single pod instrumentation suits a cruiser but I see so many other low slung cruisers (like the 250cc Kinetic Hyonsung Aquila etc with a tachometer. The picture attached below shows the Aquila. Unfortunately I could not find any pictures showing the instrumentation of the bike.

Anyway I live in Chennai, and I would like some advice on how / where to go about getting the tachometer fitted in the Avenger 200. One of my friends said it might void the warranty so it may be better to do it after the warranty is over. But it looks like the warranty is 2 years on the Avenger .... I can't wait for 2 years for a tachometer on the bike. The Indian market would be more advanced then and I may even be ready to spend 1 or 1.5 lacs on a new 200+ cc cruiser bike by then.

Looking forward to your advice on the same guys .....

Also, a few more things ....

(1) I would like to have the Pulsar 200/220 horn fitted to the Avenger, as well as tubeless tyres. From what I know, the Avenger comes with MRF Zapper 90/90 17-inch (front) and 130/90 15-inch (rear). I would like to upgrade these to 100/90 or 100/80 and 140/90 respctively - but tubeless tyres.

(2) Advise on headlight upgrade
(3) Advise on the K&N air filter - is it worth it ? What is the cost ? Where to get it fitted in Chennai and where ot buy it ?

Kindly advise on the same too.

Thanks and warm regards,

Venkat
Venkat,

The Avenger comes with the best headlights for any bike in India. I honestly do not believe you need to upgrade them.

As for tubeless tyres, you can get them, but be advised that tubless can only be fitted on alloys and not on the OEM spoked rim. Find alloys suitable for a cruiser could be a challange. On long rides, make sure you carry an air pump and a tubeless repair kit. You maybe able to find some one willing to do it, but may not have the equipment. Also it is a very simple DIY.

Now for the tacho- Any tacho from 150-180 will fit the Avenger. The best way to do it would be to get an empty speedo bin for the avenger, fit the taco in it and then mount the existing speedo and the tacho side by side on a bracket. This will not compromise the looks of the bike and will look similar to the Aquila setup in you picture.

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 21st March 2008, 14:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm, this is news to me. A 200cc bike that does not sport a tachometer
Old 21st March 2008, 18:50   #8
BHPian

Amitwiz,

Thanks for the advice on the tachometer ..... but where do I start and how would this affect the warranty on the bike ? If you know of any specific shops there, please PM me. Not all shops at Pudupet can be trusted as a lot of spooky stuff goes on there as well. If you leave your bike unattended for an extended period of time there, there is a very good chance that some parts or the bike itself would be stolen. But if you are with the bike throughout, it's ok. I got my air horn for the CBZ installed at a shop called AtoZ Electricals in Pudupet with a cut-out etc.

Rajan ... what you say about the tubeless tyres is true. I called up the shop from where I got the alloys and 120/80 tyre for my CBZ and told him about the Avenger 200. He told me that they now have imported alloys for the Avenger which looks pretty good on the bike. He also said the same thing - that I would have to go for tubeless tyres with alloys. He said imported tubeless tyres were now available for the Avenger - 150/80 max for rear and 100/90 or 100/80 for the front if needed. He said the imported alloys would cost around 4,600 bucks while the Indian ones would be around 4000 bucks. For the tyres, he said the 150/80 tubeless tyre for the rear would be around 2,400 bucks. Are these prices okay ? Plus of course, the existing spoke rims and tubed MRF Zapper tyres would be bought back by the shop and accordingly the amount would be reduced. It looks like I would have to pay half the price for the new tyres. Not sure how much would be offered for the spoke rims.

Also Rajan, regarding the tachometer your idea sounds perfect. However, the question is now where/how to get the empty speedo bin for the Avenger. Should I try at the Probiking service centre itself ? Same question regarding the Pulsar 150/180 tachometer - are you referring to the older type analogue tacho/speedo units on the Pulsar - before the digital console was introduced ? The tachometer from that series of Pulsar and the speedo from the existing Avenger - they look like 2 different sizes. So how do we go about doing this stuff .... I've never done such mods to my bike and hence so many questions.

If anyone has any other idea on this, please feel free to contribute in this thread.

Alternatively, should I go in for a completely new speedo/tacho set from that old 150/180 Pulsar series ? In that case, like you said I may have to get an empty bin for the speedo and tacho, and put the units into the bins before mounting. Another important thing is what kind of bracket to get. Oh boy .... this is really getting confusing.
Old 21st March 2008, 20:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

which brand of tyres?? would suggest you to check out v12's elim group or pm him for the size and the brand of tyres, he had did a lot of research before upgrading the tyres on his elim, his was one of the best maintained elims i had ever seen.
Old 22nd March 2008, 02:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

pm arpandiv for all the necessary dope
Old 22nd March 2008, 02:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

man get that from the bajaj spares it costs roughly 400(black color) or get the enfield's spares/fiero MX champion's bin from tvs spares, and you can easily seat the tacho in one of these bins (they are nickel coated i guess looks flashy and nice).

My advice is forget the alloys the rims really do the job and they look classic too. please dont put anything beyond 140 width for rear, and 100 width for the front and preferably with tubes, not tubeless.

the two brands i have come across are mrf and tvs tyres in these sizes, and some other local and imported ones in hyd atleast. well the mrf should be good for price.

rest is your wish.
Old 22nd March 2008, 20:20   #12
BHPian

Hey Rider60 .....

Thanks for your inputs man. I shall enquire at the Bajaj service centre regarding the empty bin for the Avenger, since it would match the look of the existing speedo exactly. But the question remains ...... where do I get this job done ... and how would it affect the warranty on the bike ??

As far as my knowledge goes, I think a tachometer needs to be directly connected to the engine and a hole needs to be made for the RPM sensor to go in or whatever. One of my friends said getting the tachometer installed immediately after buying the bike may void the warranty. I was advised to wait till the warranty got over (which is 2 years) before attempting to get the tachometer fitted.

Need your views on this guys ......
Old 23rd March 2008, 14:13   #13
BHPian

the pulsar tacho is not mechanical. it will not require any drilling of holes etc.
It should work on a wire from HT coil.
you can make it removable,those ProB will not know you mounted a tacho if you remove the wiring when you give it for service.
buy an avenger speedo cover from the junkyard or something. new ones are expensive.
Old 23rd March 2008, 16:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
Hey Rider60 .....

Thanks for your inputs man. I shall enquire at the Bajaj service centre regarding the empty bin for the Avenger, since it would match the look of the existing speedo exactly. But the question remains ...... where do I get this job done ... and how would it affect the warranty on the bike ??

As far as my knowledge goes, I think a tachometer needs to be directly connected to the engine and a hole needs to be made for the RPM sensor to go in or whatever. One of my friends said getting the tachometer installed immediately after buying the bike may void the warranty. I was advised to wait till the warranty got over (which is 2 years) before attempting to get the tachometer fitted.

Need your views on this guys ......

the pulsar's bins are the blacks and the least costing option and will not match the look of the avenger unless you just want to place the tacho in a discreet location.

if you want to install it like its on the aquila then get the fiero's or bullet's bins from the spares that should not be difficult.

well there will be warranty issues for sure, if you dont mind voiding the warranty then go ahead or wait for it to expire.

OR the last option is to install the things in a very discreet manner and when you get the bike serviced, remove the tacho and give it!.

the situation you are in right now is something like you can have the cake but eat it! so you cant get every thing so compromise some where is necessary!
Old 23rd March 2008, 17:18   #15
BHPian

Rider60,

I think the tachometer issue is a complex one. I seriously don't want to risk voiding the warranty by getting a tachometer installed. Maybe I shall wait for some time or just accept and enjoy the bike without the tachometer. It's strange actually - even 125cc and 135cc bikes come fitted with a tachometer while a 200cc bike costing 70k does not have it. Disappointing really. It's all the more disappointing after seeing the Hyosung Aquila with 2 nice dials housing the speedo and tacho.

Oh well - I guess that's the end of my dream of having a tacho on the Avenger 200. Also, it seems to involve too many things - finding the suitable empty bins, getting a mechanic who would do the job properly for me. The worst fear is voiding the warranty. I'd surely not want to risk that.

Most Viewed