Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2005, 14:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinsanity
Okie.. So a K&N which KPhilip is going to put on his 180 wont be a problem later in the performance!!!!!!

guys,

there seems to be a confusion.the free flow that i am talking about is the exhaust.
and you seem to be referring to the K&n filter as the free flow.

from when did it a free flow :confused
:
and u can safely fit a k&n in your bikes

satya
Old 3rd February 2005, 14:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

@rtech :hehe thats koolsun who upgraded his bike from 150 to 180.. I have a 180 DTSi

See the whole point is if u increase ur STOCK air flow then u must also increase the STOCK fuel flow which can be done by making the mixture rich but it will have limitation of the jet size.. also my bike is designed to run on 112.5 jet but urs is designed to run on 115.. u'l have to get the jets bored to bigger or scout for a bigger one.

I'll give my exp wid the freel flow air filter.. when i put it, my mid range improved noticeably but what i also noticed was that my top end was coming slower than before, reason??? simple the amnt of air goin in was much more than the fuel, so aftre putting a bigger jet the top end comes very smoothely & faster than before.. hope this clears..

lemme know if more explaination is needed
Old 3rd February 2005, 14:49   #33
BHPian

Guess i got all wrong there!!!!!!!
I referred to it as free flow air filter!!

Last edited by vinsanity : 3rd February 2005 at 15:02.
Old 3rd February 2005, 19:11   #34
BHPian

guys i've ordered for one,i'll get it on monday..will tell u the details once i install it ...
Old 3rd February 2005, 19:21   #35
BHPian

Even I went along with kp to cheack out about the K&N!!
The shop owner's City 1.6 was parked outside.. It has K&N on it.. It's a show pieace for Alpine audio.. The car is as hot a car i'v ever seen.. Simply superb.. WE told him about tbhp and asked him to join...... heheheee...
The black city was looking fantastic..Good tubeless radials, DVD player, sub, amp..
The seat cover, steering wheel, pedals were all having a touch of red to it... Interiors were too good...
We'l try to post some pics...
Old 3rd February 2005, 22:01   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
@rtech :hehe thats koolsun who upgraded his bike from 150 to 180.. I have a 180 DTSi

See the whole point is if u increase ur STOCK air flow then u must also increase the STOCK fuel flow which can be done by making the mixture rich but it will have limitation of the jet size.. also my bike is designed to run on 112.5 jet but urs is designed to run on 115.. u'l have to get the jets bored to bigger or scout for a bigger one.
oop's! I guess I was mistaken about your bike

Anyways, it's not always a given that changing your air filter for a free flowing one would need a jet change as well. Just depends on the type of filter as well as the maximum flow allowed by that jet.

The amount of fuel used is also restricted by the pressure difference caused by the air passing through the venturi. The greater the difference, the more fuel is sucked out. Now, with a stock (restrictive) air filter, the amount of air allowed through might not be enough to use the jet to its maximum. In this case, switching to a less restrictive filter would allow (maybe) the ideal amount of air through to use the jet to its fullest. In this case, no added benefit would be had by upsizing the jets.

This is what is probably happening with your bike, as you said your midrange has improved, but not your top end. The reason is, at lower revvs and lower speed, the free flow filter is taking in the correct amount of air, but your jet simply can't cope with the volume of air at higher rpm's.

Like i said, trial and error would be the only way, but if you know someone who has done this, please fill me in on what his conclusions were.
Old 4th February 2005, 10:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

I agree with u & thats what i mentioned, aftre putting a bigger jet the top end was faster too.. i cud have done that wid playing wid the stock one also but u need a guy awho knows his job but since i didn't i consulted a few & they suggested me to get the easly available classic 180's jet... so voila!! no jetting & i got the desired result i may even get better results when i find a gud mech
Old 8th February 2005, 13:37   #38
BHPian

guys, today i'll get my bike with k&n installed..Hoping to have better performance!
Old 9th February 2005, 09:19   #39
BHPian

after a long wait.. i've installed the k&n kit ..man awesome, power and response.. i got to check the mileage too.. The guy who had changed the filter know, he owns a harley.. he had come for the bangalore drag race..He owns a fully modded jeep too..his name is kuttan...hope everyone who had come for the drag would have noticed the harley, its 1200 cc..
Old 9th February 2005, 09:46   #40
BHPian

hey,
Even i rode the pulsar, freakin good pickup. dint test top speed though... Gotto try it on roads with lesser traffic, tough to find one here... But the power has definetly increased..
Sound has changed considerably, box removed, rejetted.. Got to get the bike washed and find a place to put on the K&N sticker.. Any idea guys?!!
Old 9th February 2005, 13:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

be careful to see that the filter does not get wet when you are washing the bike.
also keep the stock filter as you can use it during the rains if water gets splashed on to it.
cheers,
satya
Old 9th February 2005, 13:42   #42
BHPian

So there is a problem with the filter with no box?!!

Last edited by vinsanity : 9th February 2005 at 13:45.
Old 9th February 2005, 13:43   #43
BHPian

satya,thank u for the information..is it better to put inside the airbox if there is problem with the water.??
Old 9th February 2005, 13:43   #44
BHPian

Hey but aint it washable??!!
The stock filter and box is still with him..
cheers,
RiCKY
Old 9th February 2005, 15:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

:WTF: it is washable.but it doesnt mean u wash it with water.its got a special oil with which it can be washed n cleaned.
it is not affected if water splashes on it,but then its better to be careful.
u also get a cover called pre-filter which is put on the filter to protect from rain and it costs the same as a the filter.but ,i dunno if its available here in india.
so to be safe ,replace with the stock one during rains if water tends to get inside.

satya

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks