Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2009, 20:45   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And the earlier posts may be old, these sure aren't!
Could this be due to the fact that the vBulletin's default view for guest users is in descending order? try logging out and then visit the The unassailable Dilip Bam! and you will see the thread starter post made in 25 MAR 08 as the first post....

Perhaps we should present him - and such personalities in general - with honorable membership...just like a Lifetime Achivement award.

My 2c.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 10th October 2009 at 20:46.
Old 10th October 2009, 21:37   #107
BHPian

Quote:
THANKs FOR THE COMPLiMENT BOSS ! I SAW IT. MOST KOMMENTs ARE PRETTY OLD
Just curious: I can understand someone resorting to SMS lingo out of sheer laziness, but wOuLdN't tYpinG likE tHis iNvoLve MucH gReateR eFFoRt? Why would anyone go to the trouble of mixing uppercase and lowercase, unless his keyboard is acting up and he can't help it?
Edsel Rulez! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2009, 12:58   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Just curious: I can understand someone resorting to SMS lingo out of sheer laziness, but wOuLdN't tYpinG likE tHis iNvoLve MucH gReateR eFFoRt? Why would anyone go to the trouble of mixing uppercase and lowercase, unless his keyboard is acting up and he can't help it?
Edsel Rulez,

Dilip is not your average Jo. He is "different" . What he does may not make sense to some one like you or me. However, it does make him stand out and attract attention. Although, a few people may disagree, Dilip thrives on the attention his comments/actions draw. It is one reason why we are diuscussing him.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:33   #109
BHPian

Quote:
I think we missed your part on the language rules . And the earlier posts may be old, these sure aren't!
My salute to THE GREAT Dilip Bam. He Rules.
The most interesting journalist i have ever read, till date.

I think he has just read the first few posts/pages of the thread and has concluded to what he wrote in the reply.

Our forum does not allow his writing style,
but as he is THE GREAT DILIP BAM,
IMHO he stands right & should never ever change his trademark style, and rather be unemployed.

I feel sad not to have such a great person in our team.
And wish for his well being in life.

Last edited by MAG9 : 12th October 2009 at 14:40.
Old 12th October 2009, 20:16   #110
BHPian

Some facts on Dilip Bam..

He was a CEO of two corporations in Singapore before he returned to india.
Set a record of crossing Sahara on a kinetic honda.
He has the most envious garage of humble to nimble bikes !

Risk, Guts & Bam are good friends !

Last but not the least
- He was my Prof in the B School i attended.

He'll be an instant hit on TV - I bet my.. all !!
Sir, humble submission - kindly smoke less !!
Old 12th October 2009, 21:27   #111
BHPian

Some more Facts,

* Rides TVS Sport for his daily use (70cc two stroke moped and his fav. one)
* His age is approx 60 and still loves to ride i think two years before went to kanyakumari on Kinetic Honda
* Loves TVS Bikes.
* owns almost all the bikes available in market.and gives amazing reviews.
* and still gives time from his busy schedule to answer all the queries posted on indiabike.com
Old 3rd December 2009, 18:29   #112
BHPian

I also bought a kinetic honda after Bam said that you could carry an LPG cylinder in the front. Just for the heck of it, I tried it and you sure can (you have put your feet on the footpegs though.
Old 3rd December 2009, 19:38   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
I wasn't able to dig out the taxi driver issue, but I did find my tattered copy of the bike buyer's guide by Dilip Bam, BE (Mech) MBA MIE (I) Chartered Engineer AMI Mech E (London) MIIE (USA) and Visiting Professor BITS Pilani. The 100-page book is called "How to Select Your Perfect Two-Wheeler" and it was published in 1990. Mr Bam's style is very robust, opinionated and entertaining at the same time. Like Sidhuisms, there's a strong case to be made for naming his inimitable usages as "Bamisms".

Here are some excerpts from the classic:

On safe riding:
On encountering trucks and tempos on the road you'll probably see the cleaner frantically waving his hand through the left window. This has been going on for the last fifty years and nobody -- no driver, no cleaner and no cop -- knows what the hell it means. Neither do I, unless the cleaner is swatting flies or giving 'tata'.
On selecting a two-wheeler:
If Chetak was good enough for Rana Pratap, it should certainly be good enough for the average householder.
Women may take objection to a sex distinction while selecting a bike. True, women have competed against men in some races and even won some of them. This book is NOT for them.
A bright orange kameez worn with a (say) green churidar may be very becoming on a pretty girl, but the same colour combination would hardly do for a 50-year-old lady. Likewise a five-footer riding a Harley Davidson Electra Glide (1340cc) would remind one of an insect stuck on the windscreen of a Porsche.
On buying a second-hand bike:
The most successful marriage is when you marry the girl next door. You know her background, her caste and creed, her "other" boyfriends, the company she keeps, her performance, her behaviour and so on. So also with a bike. If you know the bike for some time while it is in the ownership of the guy who is selling it to you [blah blah] you know the vehicle.
On dealing with animals on the road:
Buffaloes: These are the stupidest of God's creations. A buffalo's brain weight is the lowest among ALL mammals. Thus when a buffalo is in motion it will NEVER change its mind, simply because it has no mind.
Cats: Crosses roads in a flash. So unless you are superstitious, let it cross first. Even if you ARE superstitious, let it cross first and then let two other vehicles overtake you so that they carry away the bad luck.
From the buyer's guide section:
Hero Majestic Pacer: The old Hero Majestic VIP 240DX has been repainted and renamed 'Pacer'. Let's see if it will change the pace of sales. A wind fairing has been added, maybe to give the impression of a 'ghunghat' on a 'chand-sa-mukhda' (headlamp).
Hero Majestic Panther: If I changed my name to Bruce Lee, wore a kung-fu suit (paint job) and put on a helmet (fairing), could I hope to beat up Dara Singh? They did this to the popular 240DX model and called it Panther. Let's see how many from the market this panther can devour.
Bullet 500: If the 350 is ego, the 500 is ego plus. Though slower and much less powerful than the Yamdoot (RD350) this is more than just a bike -- it is something that has to be owned to be believed. It is not the fastest, nor the most powerful, nor the prettiest, nor the most ergonomic. It is also not many other things. But it is a name. Like Helen of Troy, you've GOT to have her. That's all there is to it. All else be damned.
The Acknowledgments page ends thus: "Finally, I wish to thank God that I am still alive!"
Ha Ha ha ha ha. Man i never knew about this guy but yes im a fam of him today. And MODS please edit the headline as -(Not to be read in office). One just cannot control laughing after reading this. Everyone was wondering here if I had gone nuts.
The best one was the review of Bullet Diesel. Ha ha ha...
livyodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2009, 22:17   #114
BHPian

nostalgic effect kicked in. will remain for some time.

BTW, do you really think Mr Bam could be 60? I guess he'd be about 45-50.

Those people who think that he may not be able to write here because of his new style of writing are ignoring the fact that the very style was adopted recently to entertain people and that he is a very good writer in plain English. Had a chance to read many Auto India issues and more of his articles in recent years (online).

He thinks practical. Writes the same thing. A genuine & hard hitting journalist I must say.
Old 5th December 2009, 00:35   #115
BHPian

When I first read the title of the thread, I thought the name sounded familiar. But, when I read the posts, I realized I've read the review of the diesel Bullet when I was in school. I vaguely remember the part about the vibrations. Interesting expressions he uses.
Old 5th December 2009, 08:15   #116
BHPian

I know pulsar boys will like Dilip!

First heard of him through the indiabike site and thenmet him a couple of times.

I like his casual and shooting from the hip style of reviews. Now if only he could be more objective and drop his bias against the venerable Bullet.
Old 5th December 2009, 19:20   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Why on earth?
In all smaller towns of India where scooter is the primary vehicle, the most difficult luggage carrying would be when your cooking gas runs out and you have to carry the cylinder to the gas outlet (since home delivery was not standard then).i have had to do it many times..

Another test could be to take a VIP suitcase in the space near the legs...whenever you have to drop people at the train/bus station.
Old 7th December 2009, 23:57   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
In all smaller towns of India where scooter is the primary vehicle, the most difficult luggage carrying would be when your cooking gas runs out and you have to carry the cylinder to the gas outlet (since home delivery was not standard then).i have had to do it many times..

Another test could be to take a VIP suitcase in the space near the legs...whenever you have to drop people at the train/bus station.
Yeah, but I don't think a VIP suitcase will be as heavy as a gas cylinder. In terms of sheer bulk, I think nothing beats a gas cylinder. Or, are you talking about testing the capacity of a scooter to carry large (albeit not so heavy) items?
Old 8th December 2009, 13:34   #119
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoKris View Post
Those people who think that he may not be able to write here because of his new style of writing are ignoring the fact that the very style was adopted recently to entertain people and that he is a very good writer in plain English.
I for one think that Dilip Bam is an exceedingly intelligent man. Its a gift to make people laugh so hard with your writing. And even in all that humour lies plain ol' common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Thanks!
Old 8th December 2009, 14:40   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
I don't think a VIP suitcase will be as heavy as a gas cylinder. In terms of sheer bulk, I think nothing beats a gas cylinder. Or, are you talking about testing the capacity of a scooter to carry large (albeit not so heavy) items?
It's large, unwieldy things that are hard to transport on a two-wheeler, not necessarily heavy items. After all, an adult male can weigh three times as much as a full LPG cylinder. In a similar vein, an empty VIP suitcase would be just as difficult to transport on the footboard as a full one -- maybe even more so, since light objects tend to shift more easily! However, though Mr Bam's only being practical, I don't approve of the practice at all.

Most Viewed