Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2008, 19:49   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Why car magazines? Why not for Team-BHP?
And get banned for life??? He may get the guys who introduced him banned too!!
Old 26th March 2008, 23:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

GTO,

Just wanted your comments on the kinda language he currently writes in. You seem to have not replied to those posts. Hilarious to some, but surely not palatable on teambhp, atleast to some moderators in the current form as posted.

@Sankar: Completely disagree with your 20w40 logic. By that funda, every bike in rajasthan would run 20w50 or worse. And SBKs that operate at 100+ temp at times, would ha ve......!! While I may wish to draw your attention to the fact that yamalube 20w40 is what's used for R1. So maybe you may wish to consider that ambient temperature is not the deciding factor but metallurgy, engine design, heat flow, operating temperatures among other factors are what decide the recommendation. its only with good tolerances that 10w30 can be used.
Old 26th March 2008, 23:53   #48
BHPian

This got me in splits,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
question:Iam planning to buy a scooter for my wife. she was riding LML scooter(with gear) earlier. one way travel is around 15kms. can you suggest which is better suited among the following for city conditions taking in to account weight, mileage etc.: 1)bajaj krystal 2) bajaj wave 3) honda activa 4) tvs pep+

Indiabike's answer:IF YOUR WiFE IS LESS THAN 60 kg, THEN GO FOR PEP+. IF MORE HEAVY AND MANY TiMES DUBBLE SEAT RiDiNG, THEN GO FOR KiNETiC FLYTE. AVOiD BAJAJ. AKTiVA IS NOT AS GuuD AS FLYTE AND IS MORE EXPENSiVE, LONG WAiTING PERiOD, EXPENSiVE SPARE PARTS AND VERY POOR AFTER SALES SERViCE. GO FOR PEP+ OR FLYTE DEPENDiNG ON WEiGHT OF WiFE.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

We gotta get him here!

Last edited by sids911 : 26th March 2008 at 23:54.
Old 27th March 2008, 03:04   #49
BHPian

Ah, the redoubtable Mr Bam. It seems like only the other day that I heard the following gems from him:

* The seat of the Lamby Polo is excellent, but tragically little else is.

* The KB100 is a favourite of college campuses because its extra long seat allows riding triple. It should have had triple footrests too.

* The thing is to knock the baffles [of the Yezdi] out. The exhaust then sounds like music - the healthiest note among all two-wheelers.

* Don't ever ride [a two-wheeler] with the helmet visor up, or the wind will catch it and you'll soon be pondering why is the sky blue.

* The Bullet is most comfortable for long rides because it's the only Indian bike that has a seat designed with the human a.r.s.e in mind.

* Considering the cost of maintenance, the RD350 is the proverbial racehorse while the Rajdoot [with the Earles fork] is the donkey.

There are many more, but these are what I remember offhand... I read them a decade and a half ago.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2008, 09:42   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@Sankar: Completely disagree with your 20w40 logic. By that funda, every bike in rajasthan would run 20w50 or worse. And SBKs that operate at 100+ temp at times, would ha ve......!! While I may wish to draw your attention to the fact that yamalube 20w40 is what's used for R1. So maybe you may wish to consider that ambient temperature is not the deciding factor but metallurgy, engine design, heat flow, operating temperatures among other factors are what decide the recommendation. its only with good tolerances that 10w30 can be used.

Hi Phamilyman,

I disagree with the highlighted part of your post, though i do agree that the other things you have mentioned play a part (however, a very small part) in selecting the "right" oil.

The main factor is operating temperature, which is in a way, a function of ambient temperature.

The viscosity index specifys how much the oil is going to thin when heated.
If ambient temperature didnt play a role, then they wouldnt have "winter grade" oils etc.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th March 2008 at 10:58.
Old 27th March 2008, 11:28   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post

* Considering the cost of maintenance, the RD350 is the proverbial racehorse while the Rajdoot [with the Earles fork] is the donkey.
I remember reading these lines in a Two-Wheeler buyer's guide published in Auto India, don't remmber the year though, maybe sometime around '97.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 27th March 2008, 12:08   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
GTO,

Just wanted your comments on the kinda language he currently writes in. You seem to have not replied to those posts. Hilarious to some, but surely not palatable on teambhp, atleast to some moderators in the current form as posted.
Unfortunately (and obviously) that language will not clear our mod filters. But look at the brighter side....I know a good number of members who have changed their posting style on Team-BHP, to benefit our readers.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2008, 12:52   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Hi Phamilyman,

I disagree with the highlighted part of your post, though i do agree that the other things you have mentioned play a part (however, a very small part) in selecting the "right" oil.

The main factor is operating temperature, which is in a way, a function of ambient temperature.

The viscosity index specifys how much the oil is going to thin when heated.
If ambient temperature didnt play a role, then they wouldnt have "winter grade" oils etc.

cya
R
Rehaan,

Unless i'm dead wrong, and imnshe, i'm not, there are two parts to it:
a. Winter oils, as I've myself experienced with a non-responsive engine at 4500m at 5am, help to get things going (by being thinner/easier flowing at lower temps). That is about getting the engine started up with minimum friction/damage given the ambient temp THAN the operating temperature per se. Which is why we have even 5W50 or 10W60 - the first number is for winter operation while operation actually happens towards the other end of the scale.

b. In our summers, almost ALL motorbikes (save the enfield/Bajaj pulsar 180+ : much less refined engines) take 20w40. Whereas the newer karizma/CBZx take 10w30. The 30 part is about how it performs at 100 deg. So if your bike has excellent metallurgy/tolerances, it can do with lesser lubrication which imo would separate the men from the boys. Which is why the YZFR1 example came. If for Indian conditions , Yamaha in its infinite wisdom decided on 20w40 (inspite of the high revs/summer), then its only correct for us to respect HH's (or Honda's) wisdom and stick to 20w40 than the shortcut logic of Mr Bam/Sankar in previous posts.

Doesn't the metallurgy determine the operating temperature and hence the oil recommendation more than ambient temperature?
Old 27th March 2008, 14:47   #54
BHPian

Nostalgia

Aaaahhhh nostalgia .. the good 'ol days .. Car & Bike International & good 'ol Dilip Bam. I loved reading his articles. Brilliant humour, blatant honesty and technically sound info. If anyone knows where he still writes, i'd like a linky please. Come back Mr. Bam.
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:35   #55
BHPian

Mr.Bam is too good he still writes for indiacar.com and replies every query even after having such a busy schedule.The way he road tests bikes, Simple stop watch to measure o to 60 Timings also the way he measures torque,breaking distance in all practical way,mileage measurement he also mentions the number of signals and gearshifts.I remember when he used to write for Autoindia for the road tests he also used to evaluate the owners Manuel ,used to mention the head light beam spread also used to compare even the rear view mirrors.And i still remember the days when i used to send postal mail which bike to buy and he used to reply all the mail.He is a big fan of TVS bikes and these bikes are most practical and best engineered bikes today but only lacks the brand name.
Old 23rd September 2009, 01:53   #56
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading a Yezdi 350 road test by him ages ago in CBI. He claimed that the brake lever was designed by Sunil Gavaskar.

Turns out Gavaskar had knocked down his bike while it was parked and bent its lever.
Mpower is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2009, 09:23   #57
BHPian

I dont remember if it was Indian Auto Journal or Car & Bike Intl back in the 90's...there was a narration by Dilip on his experiences as a Taxi Driver...thats something I can never forget. Totally Hilarious !
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:34   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Turns out Gavaskar had knocked down his bike while it was parked and bent its lever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
I dont remember if it was Indian Auto Journal or Car & Bike Intl back in the 90's...there was a narration by Dilip on his experiences as a Taxi Driver...thats something I can never forget. Totally Hilarious !
Oh please tell which mag. Anyone? I'll make sure to source it out from the local raddiwala. I just went through this entire thread again and have to admit : I am a Dilip Bam fan.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:29   #59
Senior - BHPian

Ah, this thread brings back so many memories! I used to enjoy his articles very much in the early to mid nineties - first in the Indian Auto Journal (anybody remember this one?) and later in the Auto India. Had me chuckling for the whole day!
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:49   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Ah, this thread brings back so many memories! I used to enjoy his articles very much in the early to mid nineties - first in the Indian Auto Journal (anybody remember this one?) and later in the Auto India. Had me chuckling for the whole day!
Nostalgia trips!! IAJ was edited by Gautam Sen?? I still recollect an article comparing the 118NE with the Maruti 1000, which was the drool car of the time. With good old Pune based C&BI as the only competition. But with little to write about then, there wasn't the space for anyone else. If I remember, Auto India got launched as a premium magazine at the time the Zen was launched.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks