Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 21:50   #91
Senior - BHPian

Is Dilip Bam a member here by any (actually a good) chance ?
Old 29th September 2009, 22:39   #92
BHPian

OMG!!! We have a thread on Dilip Bam right on t-bhp, and I had been searching all over the net just to know what is he up to these days!

I thought I was the only nutter who remembered him.

I really liked how he projected an alternate personna of himself in his Auto India articles. When reviewing the freshly launched KiHo Marvel, he said that the scooter's footboard was wide enough to help him in his 'primary job' of being a 'gas delivery boy'!

His recommendation was *the only* reason why I bought the Marvel in 1998, against the word of all my friends.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 29th September 2009 at 22:42.
vipul_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2009, 13:04   #93
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
OMG!!! We have a thread on Dilip Bam right on t-bhp, and I had been searching all over the net just to know what is he up to these days!
Is there anything relevant to the Indian automotive scene that we haven't covered?

Quote:
His recommendation was *the only* reason why I bought the Marvel in 1998, against the word of all my friends.
Out of curiousity, were you happy with the Marvel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi All,
As mentioned earlier in this thread that Dilip Bam is lecturer and teaches MBA students of Symbiosis and other colleges.
Ah, symbiosis at that!

Quote:
He is gem of a person. Just to let you know guys he is XLRI Jamshedpur Alumni. He cleared IAS exams but did not opt for it.
He is evidently an intelligent chap. To have the ability to make the masses laugh at such a scale....

Quote:
Although i read some critic post about use of his language, but just FYI he has excellent command over Hindi and English. i attended 10 days Workshop moderated by him. Whenevr he used to speak we had to search some of his words in dictionary even for Hindi words!!!!!!!!!!
I've come across many people, on Team-BHP itself, who boast excellent language skills yet type in SMS / Slang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Dilip Bam is India's Jeremy Clarkston and he's been entertaining readers even before TopGear and Jeremy became popular.
Hey, that's a compliment! I have to admit, he makes me laugh far more than Jeremy's cracks. Dilip truly is unassailable!
Old 30th September 2009, 21:24   #94
BHPian

@GTO: Dilip Bam's assessment of the Marvel was spot on! Especially the part about it being a "zero defect bike". There was nothing left for me to discover when I went for a 'road test' (or a 'chhota ride around the dukaan' as DB would have put it).

The Marvel proved to be an ever reliable steed for the 65000 KM I used it as a student. The entertaining handling (due to the low gyroscopic effect and low polar moment of inertia) was a bonus.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 30th September 2009 at 21:33.
Old 1st October 2009, 15:22   #95
Senior - BHPian

Great News, Folks!

Please see my post of 26/09 - The following is self-explanatory :

Q:Once again, Hello Mr. Bam! I just wanted to tell you that you have a great fan following - especially in team-bhp? Have you gone through the thread? People want you join the forum!! I second that - we miss your style of writing in the auto magazines and there can be one and only Dilip Bam! Please do give a thought of joining.
Posted On : 9/26/2009

A:OK, I WiLL Join THE FORUM. WHAT IS URL? IS IT xbhp.com? ABOUT AUTO MAGAZiNE, I WOULD LiKE TO JOiN SOME MAGAZiNE BUT MOST OF THE EDiTORs ARE AFRAiD OF ME FOR THE REASONs THAT YOU HAVE MENTiONED ABOVE. WHATTODO?

UNQUOTE

Now, how do we go about from here? Send him the URL? I don't want to tell him about the screening done in the forum - I wonder what would be my fate if by chance his membership is refused? Can't take any chances here! Senior bhpians, please help!
Old 1st October 2009, 15:35   #96
BHPian

Yeah I remember reading his reviews in the decade old Auto India's when he tested Bikes and Bajaj Scooters. I even went to his place once, could not stop myself from meeting him, was in school those days and his reviews in Auto India were god sent for me and my friends. Great thread this.
Old 1st October 2009, 15:45   #97
BHPian

Another concern is the SMS-style of writing is in conflict with board rules. That might become an issue.
Old 1st October 2009, 16:16   #98
Senior - BHPian

I have had the good fortune of interacting with Dilip when I was at Symbiosis between 1995-97. He used to take guest lectures on personality development. He was a total non conformist who use to drive his own Auto Rickshaw to the campus. He even wrotwe an artile on making Autorickshaw the official vehicle of the President of India.

His languarge was colourful to say the least. It would make seasoned sailors turn red ( not to mention the girls in the class). I used to go on treks with him and also did a comparo between the TVS Super Champ and a Hero Moped with him.

He used to live close to Prabhat Road & smoke bidis. He knew the area around Pune like the back of his hand ( was an avid trekker). Very often he used to be barred from different colleges due to his non conformist views and colourful language.

Amongst all Auto Journalists, he was an original.

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2009 at 19:18. Reason: No discussions on alcohol please
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2009, 19:18   #99
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Now, how do we go about from here? Send him the URL? I don't want to tell him about the screening done in the forum - I wonder what would be my fate if by chance his membership is refused? Can't take any chances here! Senior bhpians, please help!
BRING HIM ON! If you know him, probably a good time to inform him of our stand on SMS language. Send him a link to this thread itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
@GTO: Dilip Bam's assessment of the Marvel was spot on!
I'm not too much of a bike guy, yet his reviews seemed to be brutally honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
He was a total non conformist who use to drive his own Auto Rickshaw to the campus. He even wrotwe an artile on making Autorickshaw the official vehicle of the President of India.
More details and a link (if possible) please.

Quote:
I used to go on treks with him and also did a comparo between the TVS Super Champ and a Hero Moped with him.
Any stories?

Quote:
Amongst all Auto Journalists, he was an original.
Truly an original.
Old 1st October 2009, 19:59   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
BRING HIM ON! If you know him, probably a good time to inform him of our stand on SMS language. Send him a link to this thread itself.
Thanks, GTO! That's good advice and I followed it to a 'T' - sent him the link as well as the rules governing the use of proper language. Let us wait and watch!!

BTW, do you remember another writer during the same IAJ times - he used to write articles about traffic, the behaviour of people on roads etc.? Cannot remember his name - can only recollect that he had a 'Dr.' prefix.
Old 1st October 2009, 20:01   #101
Senior - BHPian

Dilip Bam should write an article on the current crop of auto journalists.
Old 1st October 2009, 23:19   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Is Dilip Bam a member here by any (actually a good) chance ?
He could be a lurker here for all we know. After all, we have Jagat Nanjappa on board, even though he isn't a prolific poster. Knowing his nonconformist nature, I can imagine the amusement Mr Bam would be getting from reading all our comments.
Old 5th October 2009, 13:34   #103
Senior - BHPian

Most of these articles were publised in C&BI, Auto India and Times of India ( Pune Plus Supplement if I recollect correctly). I had stored all these issues ( 1988 onwards) but Seepage in the house spoiled them and I had to burn the stuff( it had started to rot and was giving an awful smell).

However, I do recall one of his artilcles.

Dilip was driving to one of the Management Institutes in his Autorikshaw. It was a new batch and the students did not know what he looked like.

A few km's before the gate to girs flagged him down. They did not realise that it was a private Autorik (blue) and not the usual Black and Yellow one. Dilip did nothing to allay their misunderstanding.

The girls, ( chicks as Dilip reffered to them) were talking amongst themselves and Dilip was listening to them. One of them mentioned that she was getting late for the class and she didn't know how Dilip Bam the *censored* prof would respond as he had a wild reputation. On reaching the gate of the institute the watchman slauted Dilip and waved him on.

The girls were a bit surprised but overlooked this and got down from the Auto. They haggled with Bam who as per them was overcharging and left after exchanging a few harsh words.

Some time later, they ware shocked when Dilip Bam the Prof, walked into the class.

Dilip goes on to say that one of the girl's got an "A" for her presentation. He however went on to add, that "not all chicks who called him abuses got an A".

There were a lot more incidents like this. Unfortunately, narrating most of them here will invite infractions.

Last edited by GTO : 5th October 2009 at 16:59. Reason: No inappropriate words please :)
Old 10th October 2009, 16:06   #104
Senior - BHPian

Typical Response!

Here is his reponse to our invite -

Q:Thanks, Mr. Bam! The forum URL is - Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Home The thread about is - The unassailable Dilip Bam! - Team-BHP The group have their own rules and regulations and one of the things which they keenly enforce in the SMS type language. So, I request you to visit the site - especially the thread above, and then decide yourself. But I can say this for sure, you are a very revered automobile genius and plenty of people have high regard for you - including me! Posted On : 10/1/2009

A:THANKs FOR THE COMPLiMENT BOSS ! I SAW IT. MOST KOMMENTs ARE PRETTY OLD
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2009, 18:26   #105
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A:THANKs FOR THE COMPLiMENT BOSS ! I SAW IT. MOST KOMMENTs ARE PRETTY OLD
I think we missed your part on the language rules . And the earlier posts may be old, these sure aren't!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks