Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 17:59   #121
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here you go! His profile from Indiacar:

Quote:
Also as Senior Export Executive for TELCO for six years, it was his job to intimately know the traffic and road conditions of the foreign countries where he was selling TATA trucks and buses. He thus understands very well what 'Indian Conditions' mean.

Dilip is a graduate Mechanical Engineer of the University of Roorkee and an MBA from XLRI, Jamshedpur. He is also an Associate of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers of U.K., a Corporate Member of the Institute of Industrial Engineers, USA as well as a Chartered Engineer and Member of the Institution of Engineers, India

He is also a visiting faculty at B.I.T.S., Pilani, one of the premier technical universities in India and educates students at few Management Institutes in Pune.
Old 9th December 2009, 00:52   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
It's large, unwieldy things that are hard to transport on a two-wheeler, not necessarily heavy items. After all, an adult male can weigh three times as much as a full LPG cylinder. In a similar vein, an empty VIP suitcase would be just as difficult to transport on the footboard as a full one -- maybe even more so, since light objects tend to shift more easily! However, though Mr Bam's only being practical, I don't approve of the practice at all.
You got a point there. And, I did consider that a possible reason for using a VIP suitcase. It's like the difference between carrying a fully packed big travel bag and a plastic bag containing a few clothes (heading to the local clothes-ironing-wallah) on the fuel tank of a motorcycle. The latter catches the wind and tends to fly off. I remember those days... Maybe Mr. Bam could add that to his 'practicality tests' for motorcycles!

Bam's tests may not pass safety regulations but he's definitely being practical, as you said. That's how many scooters are still used today and sometimes things can get dangerous. It's just my paranoia but I avoid stopping my bike next to a scooter carrying a gas cylinder in a traffic jam or at red lights in the fear that the valve may pop off sending the cylinder into orbit with me on it!!
Old 9th December 2009, 02:29   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
MODS please edit the headline as -(Not to be read in office).
+1 to you. Because thats what I am doing right now. Sitting in my office, reading the tales and LMAO. And everybody else has gone nuts here too, looking at me.

I never heard about this guy but surely I am in his fans club now on.
Old 29th January 2010, 15:34   #124

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 30th January 2010 at 10:43.
esumitkumar is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th March 2010, 19:18   #125
BHPian

Excerpt from Mr. Dilip Bam's review of the TVS Apache RTR 160 EFI. This is the section on the looks of the bike.

LuuX :
I am generally averse to commenting on looks. Personally somebody may like Bipasha, others may prefer Aishwarya. How to say? My personal choice is Pamela Anderson, which in bike terms is Bullet==fully naked. No faltu paneling-baazi. Just front mudguard and rear mudguard==Bra & Panty. Other people may like Yamaha FZ or Pulsar. It is a very personal thing. But one thing is sure. This bike looks aggressive. And it is.
UNQUOTE

This gentleman is amazing.
Old 29th March 2010, 21:38   #126
Senior - BHPian

Hilarious stuff! The only other guy I know is Jeremy Clarkson.
Old 29th March 2010, 21:45   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post
Excerpt from Mr. Dilip Bam's review of the TVS Apache RTR 160 EFI. This is the section on the looks of the bike.

LuuX :
I am generally averse to commenting on looks. Personally somebody may like Bipasha, others may prefer Aishwarya. How to say? My personal choice is Pamela Anderson, which in bike terms is Bullet==fully naked. No faltu paneling-baazi. Just front mudguard and rear mudguard==Bra & Panty. Other people may like Yamaha FZ or Pulsar. It is a very personal thing. But one thing is sure. This bike looks aggressive. And it is.
UNQUOTE

This gentleman is amazing.
He almost always gets Pamela A into the picture when making comparison. This one was hilarious. He drives home the point with the last line very well.
Old 29th March 2010, 23:25   #128
BHPian

Thanks for bumping this topic, it was a pleasure to read. Come over to TBHP sir!
Old 30th March 2010, 13:28   #129
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider View Post

LuuX :
I am generally averse to commenting on looks. Personally somebody may like Bipasha, others may prefer Aishwarya. How to say? My personal choice is Pamela Anderson, which in bike terms is Bullet==fully naked. No faltu paneling-baazi.
Everytime I visit this thread, I end up rolling on the floor. Even if I'm reading the older Dilip Bam quotes on this thread for the nth time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Hilarious stuff! The only other guy I know is Jeremy Clarkson.
No ways! JC is puff compared to DB.
Old 31st March 2010, 15:15   #130
BHPian

It was so heartening to read this. I have always enjoyed reading Mr. Bam's articles in Auto India as well as Indian Auto, though I might be wrong about Indian Auto. In my opinion he is the most humourous and practical autmotive journalist in India. I still have a lot of old issues of Auto India and Indian Auto back home. Will bring them to Mumbai with me.

The whole office is wondering why was I laughing like a lunatic!!!! Thanks GTO for bringing this up. I miss Dilip Bam's articles in auto mags. I wish he would start writing again but it might be an issue with his politically incorrect writing style.
Old 31st March 2010, 16:52   #131
Senior - BHPian

Another Gem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No ways! JC is puff compared to DB.
Bet that JC can't match this.. one of the queries he has replied to in Cybersteering - The complete guide to Indian Cars :-

Quote:

PANKAJ Question: hi Dilip, I have new Electra 5s it has done 3300km, the engine makes so much noise that I cannot hear its thump with company fitted silencer, Is it okay or RE engine makes loud noise, it has done second service and the sound is from day one when I have purchased it, although engine run smooth but the sound is not decreasing. I do not know from where it is coming, from the bottom or right side near gear box or from silencer. Is their RE also made loud sound when it was new and it will decrease with the time when my bullet runs some more K kms? Regards Pankaj

BIKE GURU Answer:ALL MACHiNERY MAKE NOiSE. THAT IS LAW OF NATURE. HOW LOUD IS NOISE? PLEASE LiSTEN TO NOiSE OF FEW OTHER new Electra 5s, AND COMPARE WiTH YOUR OWN NOISE. IF IT IS TOO MUCH, THEN COMPLAiN TO ENFiELD. YOU HAVE TO TELL WHERE NOiZE IZ COMiNG FROM. IF YOU CANNOT TELL DOKTOR WHERE PAiN IS, HOW CAN HE GiVE MEDiCiNE? BCOZ THERE IS DiFFERENT MEDiCiNE FOR DiFFERENT PLACES OF PAiN.
Old 25th May 2011, 20:19   #132
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: The unassailable Dilip Bam! EDIT - Rest in peace!

Some recent gems from Dilip Bam Someone stop this guy before my sides split.

Wego Review

Quote:
which means you are getting a Michelin equivalent tire, which means better road holding which means more safety which means you live longer.
Quote:
Sekondly, in case of a minor dent you can repair the dent yourself by using DENT-KiNG, which advertises early morning every day on National Geographic / Discovery / Animal Planet channels before 8am. Along with Dent-king you also get a FREE felt-pen type scratch filler called SCRATCH-PEN which covers up minor skratches. Dent-King & Scratch-Pen together cost Rs.2490/- which you can order 0n-Line. Check it out on TV if you can wake up at 7am.
Quote:
Roads are not too good, the rains just got over and the pot holes are not filled up yet bcoz politic0 pockets are not filled up yet, waiting for the k0ntrakt0rs to fill their pockets which are deep indeed, and lining the deep pockets of politic0s is a long tailoring process. Takes time. So the roads are bad.
Quote:
Gearless scooters are majorly used for city traffic by <1>females <2>older people <3>physically challenged people <4>learners <5>people who lack confidence <6>couch potat0s - who want to save their energy on biking and use it on FACEBooK !
Quote:
the petrol gets used in inkrizing rpm to tighten the slack without contributing to motion. This is as per Laws of Mechanics as defined by Pythagoras, Archimedes & Newton, which is also Law of Nature, and even GwaD (==god) cannot increase the mileage of ANY gearless skootre. This happens every time you use brake, which in city traffic we do about 100 times per km. There is nothing you can do. YOU want comfort and ease of driving, YOU pay for it.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2011, 20:57   #133
BHPian

I gave up the after dinner sweet dish to read this infallible piece of literature. My eyes were literally watering... Thanks for sharing GTO.
luky_13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 09:44   #134
BHPian

I have known Mr. Bam since 1996 and have worked with him earlier in Auto India and then Indian Auto magazines. Now-a-days, ALL automobile magazines align their vehicle (2, 4 wheelers) test reports in line with the ads of the respective manufacturer and here is where Mr. Bam differs, his test reports in magazines were completely unbiased which made him famous with the aam junta but not with the magazine's marketing department. Even the ways he used to conduct tests (along with a bunch of passionate idiots) was unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Some recent gems from Dilip Bam Someone stop this guy before my sides split.

Wego Review
AmarPaithankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 11:13   #135
BHPian

Was going through his Yamaha R15 Article

His thoughts on the twin headlamp setup!!

Quote:
This is because the brightness produced by TWO bulbs being supplied thru a 35 watt cable is NOT as bright as a single bulb alone being supplied 35 watts. To understand this, just imagine: it is like one man marrying TWO nine-year old girls instead of ONE eighteen year old girl !
On the FZ16
Quote:
The outrageous looking 12-litre fuel tank is pure Pamela Anderson.The 35 watt headlight is Katrina Kaif. The 41 mm diameter solid front forks (claimed to be thickest in India) are The Great Khali. The front mudguard is a Mallika. The 100/80 X 17 front tire is John Abraham. The 267 mm front disc brake with 2-pot caliper is Paresh Rawal while the rear drum brake is run-of-the-mill. The silencer is Arnold Shivajinagar. The 140/60 x 17 rear tire is King Kong==Fattest standard tire on any Indian made bike so far. Both tires are tubeless. And the overall package is absolutely Bipasha. You can”t keep your hands away from this bike. You HAVE to ride her immediately.
Cheers!
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed