Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 22:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

anup carry on , after few days you will forget your car :P
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dude.

You will get used to it pretty fast. When I was learning to ride bike, initially I practiced on the highway with frequent gear shifts and stops. It helps you to think with peace of mind. Then take it to city chaos for futher practice. Its just a matter of couple of week before you master.

Wear helmet always. Enjoy!!
Old 4th April 2008, 16:47   #18

@aburaqohain - Thanks for suggesting the heel-toe technique. It worked brilliantly! Will work more on the stalling and shifting gear into neutral over the weekend.

@patiencewins - Lucky for me, the highway is very close by. Will take the bull there and practice as suggested by you!

Thanks for the advice/suggestions folks! Really appreciate it!
Old 4th April 2008, 20:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Lol...You take me back to 2002, when I had got my new bullet, graduated from a 100cc. I got into many an embarassing situation, with the bike shutting off time and again, at traffic signals in Kochi,as the gearbox was playing traunt and I was playing blackjack with it at every signal. My then girlfriend(now wife) was more forgiving towards the bike, while I used to mumble obscenities inside the helmet. Like my friend said, for at least a week, the Bullet rides you, and only after that, you start riding the bike.

The gearbox eased off with use, and the bike was a pleasure to ride thereafter. Even today, my wife is more attached to the bike and does not allow me to sell it.

aburaqohain's tips will keep you in good stead, enjoy your Bullet experience.
Old 4th April 2008, 21:03   #20
BHPian

I agree... I bought my first bullet on 19 Apr 1997. I only rode 100cc bikes with their gear shift on the left. This was something new to me and also, the kick starting tecnique was diferent.
The mechanic who was making the bike ready for delivery sensed that I am a novice on this bike so he started intimidating me rather than advicing me.
I told him to keep his advice to himself as I was an old hand on a Bullet!
Not to divulge the fact of myself being novice, I told him to start it for me as I knew that I would have proved myself as a fool in front of everybody. I kept my mind cool and put the bike in the first gear and rolled it out if the showroom and that was it! I went away to a safe distance from the showroom and switched off my bike as an experiment and a test of my skills to restart it. I managed it after a few hicups and never looked behind as far as the bike troubling me syndrome was concerned.
I rode that bike till 2006 when I was leaving India for a foreign asignment. I had to sell it of with a heavy heart.
The addiction of that bike was such that I bought another one a few months back and have decided that I will not sell it off.
I am not comfortable with any other Indian make motorcycles anymore.

There is a saying about Bullets-' Challe to rath, na challe to parbat'.
Old 8th April 2008, 14:58   #21
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase!!

Hey Anup,
Congratulations on the purchase. I have just finalized on a 2 year old red Thunderbird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupbhatk View Post
Gave it for service on monday and got it back today..put in disc brakes in the front. The rear wheel was bent, so got it rectified.
My bike does not have front disc brakes. How much did it cost you to install frint disc brakes?

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 8th April 2008, 15:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

If you have double link drum brake at front then disc upgrade not much needed
Old 8th April 2008, 17:40   #23
BHPian

OK - But how do I confirm?

Hey Technocrat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
If you have double link drum brake at front then disc upgrade not much needed
How do I confirm that I have "double link drum brake"? Did the Thunderbirds come with these. Mine is from early 2006.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 8th April 2008, 18:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubh_vaze View Post
Hey Technocrat,

How do I confirm that I have "double link drum brake"? Did the Thunderbirds come with these. Mine is from early 2006.

Regards,
Kaustubh
TLS (twin leading shoe) brake hubs have two actuators working the bake shoes. One is at the lower level where the brake cable connects to and the other is at the upper side which is connected to the lower lever by a trunnion.

If yours is a thunderbird then it should have a disk brake. If it's a drum brake (like some early birds) it WILL be of the TLS variety.

The other older type drum (usually referred to as the small drum) does not come on any RE nowadays. Even the STDs have those tls big drums.
Old 8th April 2008, 18:41   #25
BHPian

Thanks for the info

Hey Sankar and Technocrat,
Thank you both for the information.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 8th April 2008, 22:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

@Technocrat ; When adjusted perfectly, the TLS drums work as good as disks, but even then they are prone to fade. The perfect adjustment is usually beyond your normal grease monkey. I would advise disks anyday, for its sheer consistency in braking. Bullet needs it.
Old 8th April 2008, 22:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

i agree with kuttapan.... been with a drum break on my machismo for long, would love the disc on my 500 anyday gives u so much of confidence heheh
Old 9th April 2008, 00:06   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubh_vaze View Post
Hey Anup,
Congratulations on the purchase. I have just finalized on a 2 year old red Thunderbird.

My bike does not have front disc brakes. How much did it cost you to install front disc brakes?

Regards,
Kaustubh
Hey Kaustubh! I spent 7k on the discs. I guess, that's the market rate. I just didn't bother about the price. I went in for discs purely because I was a newbie with any gear bike, moreover with a bull. I wanted more safety! Hehe

@ PaitenceWins - I did as you suggested. Took it to the highway and practiced shifting gears, coming to a dead halt and proceeding with minimal acceleration, rode the bike for a few meters in very low speed. It was good.

Thanks for your help fellas!cheers:
Old 9th April 2008, 10:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Disk all the way!!

TLS drum is quite powerful when adjusted properly. But it needs frequent adjustment like any normal drum brake. And properly adjusting a TLS drum is difficult.
Old 9th April 2008, 16:19   #30
BHPian

One more question

Hey guys,
Since the thread was started by Anup and it deals with a second hand bullet and since I have decided on a second hand Thunderbird I have one question. I am posting it here since I felt its not worth starting an all new thread. So here goes:
The Thunderbird which I am going to buy has run 16K Kms over 1.5 years and then for the last 6 months has not been started at all. I went in and helped my friend start the bike. It was not run because the friend's brother-in-law who owns the bike has gone overseas for higher studies.
Needed to change the battery and it came to life at the first kick. Sounds unbelievable but its true. Then I rode it for 6-7 Kms and decided to go ahead with the deal. My friend has got it serviced from a RE A.S.S.
What are the problems that I should expect from this bike? Should I take care of somethings myself after getting it?
I have the following things in mind:
1. Change the clutch cable, accelerator cable and front brake cable
2. Change the front and rear brake pads.
3. Battery is brand new so no change there

Anything else that I should take care of since I plan to do my first road trip on the bike in another 15 days.

Regards,
Kaustubh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks