Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2006, 09:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

awesome stuff dood! cleared out a lot of doubts that i had!
Old 1st April 2008, 15:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Techno ,it was nice that you moved this thread.It was a wonderful read right from the first post.Great effort buddie,
ram
Old 6th April 2008, 09:59   #18

Really useful post.. I was going through post of modifying bikes, and i didn't get what is meant by jetting. what does that mean??
Old 7th April 2008, 13:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Jetting in simple terms mean to change & or tweak the jets of a Carburetor to tweak fuel delivery to make changes in power\FE

Check out following links

Basic Jetting Theory and Procedure

Carb Jetting Two Stroke - Four Stroke
Old 7th April 2008, 13:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Technocrat
Thanks for sharing.
Old 25th April 2008, 09:11   #21
BHPian

Neat write up,

Although funilly I am going through this post for the first time, eventhough it is so old!
Old 30th October 2008, 22:37   #22
BHPian

Very informative !! Techno
I would like to add what I came across recently with Yamaha.

Y.R.C.S : Featured in the FZ16 Yamaha Ram air Cooling System it is nothing but a scoop which directs cool air to the spark plug area. (a big thanks to Mr. Shankar for throwing the light on the same)

Cross plane crank : The new tech in R1, with pistons just at a difference of 90 degrees at the crank compared to the conventional 180 degrees. This smoothens the inertial torque at the crank this gives better response to throttle.
Old 1st December 2008, 22:35   #23
BHPian

Great write up; check if this can be included

there are twotypes of suspension layout i know of

1. Twin-shock / Tradidtional : you would see this almost most of our indian bikes; the not the best you can get in suspension; primarily driven by cost factor. Not meant for high speed riding needs as it flexes & cannot be strengthed as extra material is extra cost; the downside is since most of these shocks are mounted close to rear axle then the stroke of these shocks needs to more or less the same as the stroke of the swingarm which means that it has to work harder & the oil can loose its suspension properties pretty fast.
exception i have seen is high end naked bikes like ;last years CBR400 super four uses a similiar set-up but has Ohlins & alumimum box section so it is amazing. then again they are Ohlins

2. Monoshock / Single shock: This one has various types the advantage over the above is that the stroke is much lesser as it is closer to the front axle of the swinagrm.

Type one is what we see in the Honda Unicorn with shock mounted on to swinagrm & top of the frame it is the most basic form of mono you can find; however not completly giving you the rigidity that you would need; quite similiar to what you find on rd350LC. Purpose weight & cost saving though not much better than the tradional type on ride quality.

The new monoshock which you see in duty in most of the biks like today are one in which the swinagrm is called a H shaped swinagrm with shock more or less perpendicular (Right angled) the top is again attached to the frame however the bottom is attached to the swinagrm with what is known as dog-bones. ride is better as these bones reduce the stroke of the shock much more than the type one monoshock & more suited for performance riding. This is very similiar to what you have on the R15. (Tip; if you want to change the ride height on the R1 make custom dog-bones shorter by whatever height you need )

lastly then there is the single sided swinagrm mono shock not much different from above just that it is a single side; do not know if it has any benefits on the ride

Source : various books namely Tony Foale & suspension reasearch for my current project on the RZ350
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2008, 03:43   #24
BHPian

amazing

Thanks soooo much for the amazing effort and detail you've put in here..! I'm sure many would benefit a BIG lot from here to their tech know-how..
I, personally, really liked the "HRC" and "Desmo/Ducati" mentions there..

Great work!

Cheers,
Jas.
Old 30th January 2009, 07:01   #25
BHPian

Nice one Technocrat. Many of the older English motorcycles used the dry sump, like most of the AMC machines, Matchless, AJS, etc.
Old 29th April 2009, 15:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess_a View Post
Did any one actually read the post completely Patience....

Yes Certainly I did & I am sure you did too!!! & most of us did it too. It is such a intresting & as well knowledge enhancing write up that once hooked you cannot leave it untill completed.

I was just going through the Team BHP pages in my lunch time in office & belive me finished all my lunch time & 30 mins more to read it all ( dindnt even had lunch )

But Kudos to the writer Great JOB!!!!
Old 29th April 2009, 15:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks All for liking it.

As mentioned earlier, I have not written it but merely compiled all the contents from various sources
Old 14th July 2009, 19:19   #28
BHPian

the website HowStuffWorks - Learn How Everything Works! also explains a lot regarding thw working of the automobile and bike engines. very descriptive and very simple language.
Old 25th November 2009, 20:23   #29
BHPian

superb compilation techno. Read it all in one go. Very very informative.
Old 1st December 2009, 21:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Great write up; check if this can be included

Source : various books namely Tony Foale & suspension reasearch for my current project on the RZ350

Very good detailing about suspension.

There is one other kind of suspension also, i would like to add for completeness, called as linkage suspensions which have a linkage mechanism between the swing arm and the shock absorber (or damper). These are seen on high end BMW's and other European makes only (not even ion jap bikes)

Most Viewed