Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2008, 16:59   #16
BHPian

MANISH7,

I'd easily recommend the Avenger 200. It is a wonderful bike. I am sure you saw the pictures of my bike posted in this forum.

I took delivery of the bike on Thursday 27 March 2008 and I have been enjoying the bike since then. Mileage seems to be around 40-41 kmpl for now which is pretty good with the K&N air filter installed.

In terms of quality, probably Bajaj products may not equal Hero Honda, but their attitude to rectify any problem and help / advise the customer is impressive. At least I am impressed. However I should say the quality of Bajaj products has improved lots over the years.

The bike is very comfortable. If you want a comfy, relaxed and stylish + powerful bike, go for the Avenger 200 man. I can vouch for it since I just got one. And once you start riding it, you will feel royal - just like a King - and you will forget everything else. It's that nice seriously. If you're getting this from a guy who's owned a well maintained CBZ from 2001 to 2008, that's something isn't it ?

Plus touring - Avenger 200 is definitely the one to go for. Nothing to beat it. Well you can consider the Karizma too, but it's not a cruiser. For now, there is really nothing to compete with the Avenger 200 for comfort, style and power. Karizma's seat is high like other normal sports bikes and doesn't give you the comfort you get in the Avenger 200.

As per my opinion, the Avenger 200's engine is quite smooth and refined and even the gearbox is good with smooth shifts. Though of course, neutral is a bit tricky sometimes. I have now got used to it though and am easily able to shift to neutral when I stop at signals.

You will get used to the seating position, gear shifts, handling in traffic etc in just a few days. No problem at all.

I know this may sound like an Avenger 200 promo campaign, but I am being frank since I just bought one and have been using it for the last 1 week. You got it right from the horse's mouth.

Go for the Avy 200
Old 6th April 2008, 22:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
And once you start riding it, you will feel royal - just like a King - and you will forget everything else.
Feel Like God, isn't it?
Old 7th April 2008, 12:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
MANISH7,

I know this may sound like an Avenger 200 promo campaign, but I am being frank since I just bought one and have been using it for the last 1 week. You got it right from the horse's mouth.

Go for the Avy 200
Venkat, aren't you the one who had starting problems with Avy 200 immediately 3 days after purchasing? How was it rectified? Did Bajaj do it or you paid local mechanic to get it done?
Old 7th April 2008, 23:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
Venkat, aren't you the one who had starting problems with Avy 200 immediately 3 days after purchasing? How was it rectified? Did Bajaj do it or you paid local mechanic to get it done?
Hi Manish7,

Yes. I was the one who had the starting trouble. However that's a big story which I would like to describe fully in a separate post.

In short, the problem was with the battery. Nothing wrong with the bike at all. The culprit was probably the horn. So I've got the normal single tone horn installed. The electrician charged the battery for me fully in high power and said there shouldn't be any such problem anymore. As for the lighting, the entire lighting system was connected directly to the battery. He said, it was possible that the battery could get discharged if I didn't run the bike at least 60 kms every day. However this was much over my daily average of 30-35 kms and anyway I never used the headlight or HID in those 3 days. I was riding mainly with the parking light only since most of the roads were well lit. Occasionally for flashing, I used the headlight.

The connection has now been changed such that the yellow light of the HID kit and parking lights are connected to the coil like before, and only the HID is connected directly to the battery. However, the HID can no longer be operated using my high beam switch. A separate switch (push/pull) has been installed on the right side in front of the engine lower down, for the HID. Whenever I want to use it, I just pull the switch. As of now, it's a bit inconvenient since I can't turn it on quickly when I am riding the bike. I have to take my right hand off the handlebar to turn on the HID.

I will have a smaller switch installed on the handlebar itself to make using the HID easier. This should be done probably by the end of this week or so.

So the bike is fine. Absolutely no problem. Ever since the single horn was installed, the HID connection / wiring was changed etc the bike has been fine and it starts up first time using the button start. Even after leaving the bike idle for a little more than 24 hours, it starts up.

Today I've not touched the bike at all. I used the CBZ to get to work. Tomorrow I shall be taking the Avy 200.

So go for the bike man. This battery problem can happen in any bike. Not just a Bajaj product. The bike has been running absolutely fine. I stand by my words and highly recommend the Avenger 200.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 17th April 2008, 10:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

I am caught in the same situation. Options are Pulsar 150, RTR 160, Unicorn. CBZ Xtreme and Hunk were not considered. I like the RTR 160 for the looks, ride and the power. Handling was good too. But the 'clip-on' handle was very uncomfortable for longer rides. TVS should have provided an option for conventional handle bars. I believe it is this particular feature which is keeping many people away from the RTR even though very much impressed by the bike.
Old 17th April 2008, 13:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Mithun, glad to hear that! I had a different picture of the market. How much do you think I might get for an Aug 02 P180(Black) ?
@ zenx

Just today i sold my Black 2002 (Augest) 180 CC Pulsar. The bike was registered in Blor as i relocated from Goa 2 years back. I spent close to 6K in last 2 years. The Chain Spocket is new, Battery, Full Electric wiring, Tyres & tubes all are new and general servicing done at regular intervals.

In seconhand market i was offered a max of 22-23K on JC Road, but i was expecting close to 28K. Last night when i took my bike out for a wash, the mechanic was quite impressed with my bike and i was given a final offer of 26K after negotiations.

So if your bike is well maintained you can expect close to 26K, else you mite have to settle with 22-23K.

Keep me posted buddy.
Old 17th April 2008, 13:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
An idea about Pulsar resale value in Bangalore. I tried to sell my P-150 DTSi with Alloy wheels and self start (U2 version). It had run 14K Kms then(Jan 08). I was getting about 32K. My bike is Nov 2005 model.
@ blue_pulsar :

Mine Pulsar 180 model 2002, well maintained 29000 kms done, fetched me 26K @ Blor. Get intouch with local mechanics if you need a good offer. Retailers on JC road are not advisable as they will give a very low quote and sell it for a good price to third party.

Pulsar 150 DTSI Nov 2005, should fetch you atleast 36K.

Keep me posted buddy.
Old 17th April 2008, 20:47   #23
BHPian

I bought Unicorn today (well, actually bought it yesterday and got it delivered today)!

Took delivery of my Silver Unicorn today...that was fast. Got it delivered in less than 24 hours with RTO passing!!!

Any tips for Running In period? The manual maintains running in period of only 500 kms as copared to 1000 kms as specified by many Bike manufacturers. There is no mention of speed limit either - any idea what speed limit /rpm range I should stick to? I think rpm below 4000 would be fine. Please confirm!
Old 17th April 2008, 20:52   #24
BHPian

since i had all three bikes since 05 i would suggest the avenger

the bike is like a dream sadly had to sell it since no one used it after i caught the car fever and the bike almost rusted

any how its an amazing bike and cannot be compared to the other 2
however if your looking for either unicorn or pulur or rtr
i would suggest rtr has an amazing pickup and is a sporty looking bike
Old 17th April 2008, 22:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
@ blue_pulsar :

Mine Pulsar 180 model 2002, well maintained 29000 kms done, fetched me 26K @ Blor. Get intouch with local mechanics if you need a good offer. Retailers on JC road are not advisable as they will give a very low quote and sell it for a good price to third party.

Pulsar 150 DTSI Nov 2005, should fetch you atleast 36K.

Keep me posted buddy.
Thanks for the info dude! I tried selling my bike to the guy in Honda showroom and was planning to buy a Unicorn. He quoted this price. I also got in touch with a local mech. He was quoting 29k. Anyways, will try to catch hold of more of them when I try to sell this time.

Anyways, my plans are on hold now. Will surely inform you once I finalize.
Old 17th April 2008, 22:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
I bought Unicorn today (well, actually bought it yesterday and got it delivered today)!

Took delivery of my Silver Unicorn today...that was fast. Got it delivered in less than 24 hours with RTO passing!!!
Congratulations on that.
Most manufacturers ask suggest to stick to speeds under 40-50 for the first 1000km, but its also how one gets to 40-50...make sure you dont go heavy/rough on the engine, i.e. smooth acceleration and smooth de acceleration, thats about it.

Last edited by gendarmee : 17th April 2008 at 22:36. Reason: typo
Old 21st April 2008, 13:43   #27
BHPian

Thanks! This is my long post about my decision -
xBhp - View Single Post - Apache RTR, Unicorn or Avenger - which one?
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:33   #28
BHPian

Some problems with dealer Kothari Wheels

I am having some problems with the Honda dealer - "Kothari Wheels". On Wednesday evening my Bike was available and he informed me that on Thursday RTO passing will be done and I will get my bike. I called upon Thursday and and he informed me that I can collect my Bike as RTO formalities are done and I got my Bike as promised. So far so good.

Yesterday, I was supposed to collect the required documents including registration number. However, when I went there he informed me that RTO passing is not done - when I reminded him of his own words - he said one passing was done and another wasn't and blah blah. Moreover, the invoice document is barely readable....all smudgy I was told I will get it yesterday as well - and he refused saying that there is a printer problem. There is no electricity in Kothari wheels for last 4-5 days and they blame it on MSEB, whereas neighboring Maruti & Mercedes showrooms are well lit without generator. Also, he couldn't find my insurance cover letter as well. Another old man their told this guy - tell him to collect invoice after 15 days, printer is not working! (Is it my fault? )

They are least bothered and simply disappear after 2 mins once you start talking to them. Any idea what can I do now to get these things done asap? Does anybody know a senior contact there I can talk to. I wonder when these Honda dealers will improve and become professional! Sick!

Please let me know urgently if you know know some contact there. Also, I would like to escalate this issue to Honda - but as I have experienced they simply don't bother replying to my mails. Any clues what can be done here?
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:54   #29
BHPian

Manish7

Really shocking to hear the kind of treatment you got from the Honda dealer in Pune. It's Honda man. They at least have to live up to the expectations people have of the brand. Really shocking.

Unfortunately since you're in Pune I am unable to help. If it was Chennai, I could have helped since some of my friends have contacts who can put some pressure and get things done. Sorry about that.

I am pretty happy with the service I got from Bajaj Probiking when I picked up my Avenger 200 in March 2008. The bike was delivered as promised and I didn't have to go back to them to collect anything later. The delivery note, insurance cover note, inspection docs, bike manual, battery warranty etc were all available as a set for me to take rightaway. I would say they were more professional than the Honda or Hero Honda guys.

Hero Honda people are also full of head weight. They expected me to plonk down 80k for the Karizma without even having a test ride. At least they can't expect this from a person who has never ridden the bike before. This attitude problem itself put me away 50% from the Karizma thought.

I went through your post on xbhp.com with all the things you considered while deciding on the Unicorn. Well, so far, I love the Avy 200. I mean you can't really compare the Avy and the Unicorn since their engine capacities are different, prices are totally different and the bike types are totally different too. 150cc vs 200cc - no comparison. Cruiser vs commuter bike - no comparison. 60k vs 70k - 10k is a big difference in price.

The Avy 200 is definitely a big, long bike and can't be handled like a CBZ or Unicorn etc. Just like how different it is to drive a Santro and a Verna. However I must say that the Avy 200 has been a fantastic bike so far. Very comfortable to sit and ride as it is, while I am planning to get my seats done up at an upholstery shop for around 800 bucks. The road grip / stability at high speeds is astounding.

Yes it's not a great bike for the city, but it's still a good one. On Chennai roads it is not that bad. I have been to Pune in 2005 and I know the kind of traffic there. Plus, I wanted a totally different category of bike this time and a more powerful one as well. Hence everything pointed towards the Avenger 200.

Oh well ... there goes my story behind my decision to get the Avy 200.

My friend has a Unicorn which has done about 8000 kms and I started the engine the other day and was blown away by the refinement and smoothness of the engine. It was so quiet when idling. Honda is Honda any day and I do agree with that. Well ... if only Honda made a nice cruiser of 300cc - that would probably be my next bike !!

Old 22nd April 2008, 12:35   #30
BHPian

Hey manish7...

hope ur dealer problems are finally sorted out....

keep your revs low initially < 5000 rpm... also try and maintain fuel supply from one pump whose quality can be trusted.. would advise speed from bpcl... difference is just about a rupee from regular fuel and the quality is pretty good...

i did the same with my p180 2 yrs ago and no issues with the engine so far...

best of luck and happy riding

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks