Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 00:08   #1
BHPian

RTR/Unicorn or Avenger - which one? Edit: Bought Unicorn - Dealer woes

Please help me choose one from these three... I know Avenger is odd one in the list, but still I love the way it looks!!

Here is brief about my dilemma -

(1) I like RTR looks wise and trust TVS brand as well. I have used Shaolin for 10 years and my brother has been using regular Apache for last 2 years and it doesn't have a single major/minor problem. The only problem I have with RTR is its extremely uncomfortable seating position - and I found it very uncomfortable in 2 small test rides I had.

(2) Unicorn - refined and reliable but I find it a bit bland and boring! Absolutely no extra features - no digital console, LED tail lamp - it doesn't even have rudimentary engine kill switch that my Shaolin had 10 years ago. I won't feel any excitement if I had to buy this. I would jump at it if Honda can have digital console & LED tail lamps...this is good, solid bike and it sure deserves smarter/contemporary looks.

(3) Avenger - Hmm...this is only for its looks & unique styling. I love the relaxed riding and it sure is awesome looking bike. Problems - I don't trust BAL based on several personal experiences and feedback from numerous people here and elsewhere. Second issue - I am quite skeptical about its maneuverability in stop-and-go Pune traffic. It feels bulky though I wasn't given a chance to have test ride by Probiking.... Dyno hardly helps.

I am looking for a smart & good looking bike for commuting & touring (planning long distance travels). Top speed is not a big deal, but 0-60 figure (pick-up) is vital. It should offer comfortable riding & reliability.

So I am confused... Each one of these options is very tempting. I would jump at Avenger if it was from Honda/HH or even TVS. Would buy Unicorn if it gets little more smart and adds contemporary features. And only if RTR had comfortable seat and seating posture...

Could you please add inputs to help me clear my mind and come to some conclusion? I have been waiting for 2 months now (RTR Fi is still awaited though)! and now quite tired of analyzing...Any inputs, pointers, own experiences would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,
- Manish
Old 4th April 2008, 00:22   #2
BHPian

Hey.
If i were to choose, I'd go with the avenger.
Very Comfy seating position & couple of other things.
Ask people who use the bike for feedback about it.

Last edited by gendarmee : 4th April 2008 at 00:23.
Old 4th April 2008, 07:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

yaar dekho.

if you want a bulletproof engine, you CANT go wrong with Unicorn. Unlike HHML, they don't charge you a leg and an arm for spares either. Its refinement personified.

If you want a racy dependable bike - the RTR. Very fun. check your back ka status, borrow apache and keep it for a week. Then see how you like it or not. And i'd say wait some months - RTR eFI is around the corner.

And BAL, no way sorry. Else the day something goes bad, you would get decent support from mr pendharkar's people, but its a BAL. Trust it to have cut corners somewhere. And neither does the refinement on BAL bikes ever reach a Honda. That being said, Avvy 200 is a very nice bike.
Old 4th April 2008, 07:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Since you had already test ridden the RTR and found it's seating to be inconvenient for you...

..and since you said you have touring on your mind... which you cannot do on a uncomfortable (for you) bike...

..you have only one option amongst this three - The Avenger.

Unicorn is just an Unicorn - everything you said hold true. Bland, boring, attitude less, character less etc etc.

Avenger is a pretty reliable bike, atleast the old 180 was. The engine feels a bit rough, but that's it, no major issues. You can buy one without any worry.

Btw i & my friend, yesterday we went and booked a new RTR for him. Price 63509 otr. Yellow is 1000 bucks dearer. We had considered the Unicorn, but decided against it for the very same reason posted above.

Last edited by Sankar : 4th April 2008 at 07:24.
Old 4th April 2008, 09:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

I agree with a couple of replies here. Since you plan touring apart from commuting, even I would recommend the Avenger. But you could try out the new 200cc one apart from the earlier 180cc Avenger. 200 has more power and also looks a stark better than the 180.

RTR is mainly for the zip-zap guys. With all its sporty looks and all. Unicorn is mainly for the mild guys who look at a refined engine and want hassle free commuting
Old 4th April 2008, 09:50   #6
BHPian

Let me ask another question - if I decide to sell bike after 2 years; which is likely to have better resale value? Unicorn or Avenger? I can consider buying one of them for 2 years ...and hope that biking scene would be different in couple of years from now - at that time I can consider baby Ninja maybe - if I manage to save enough!
Old 4th April 2008, 09:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

^^ Usualy Honda or HHonda motorcycles yield less to depreciation.

Bajaj bikes tend to depreciate faster. But in the case of Avenger it's different. Avenger depreciates lesser compared to other Bajaj bikes. The reason could be that it's not very widely available in the used bike market.
Old 4th April 2008, 10:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
The only problem I have with RTR is its extremely uncomfortable seating position - and I found it very uncomfortable in 2 small test rides I had.
I felt the same thing about RTR. Its strange that no body else is complaining. I have ridden RTR for 15+ kms and didn't find it comfortable.

From your list I think Avenger should be your pick. You can also look at Karizma which is quiet comfy.
Old 4th April 2008, 10:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

I find the RTR riding position to be sporty and much enjoyable. Bike is very flickable and nimble footed.
Old 4th April 2008, 10:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Touring? The Avenger wins hands down amongst these three - tho on rough surfaces its not the best for you back. On decent roads its very comfortable - I've done Pune-Blr in 13 hours with lots of breaks, easy riding on the 180. You do get used to it in the city over some time. Of course, you learn to ride a little more like a car than a bike

Its also a great stress buster - I feel relaxed on the Avenger as opposed to the Pulsar, which has an uninhibited invitation to rev harder all the time built in.

Is costs/resale is worrying you, get a used Elim/Avenger180 and you'll lose much lesser whenever you sell it.

Last edited by zenx : 4th April 2008 at 10:13.
Old 4th April 2008, 10:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Is costs/resale is worrying you, get a used Elim/Avenger180 and you'll lose much lesser whenever you sell it.
The only reason I asked about resale because now I am considering a bike for short-term, for I am not liking any of the bikes available currently. So thought I'd buy something for years now and go for "the bike" after 2 years.

Touring would be occasional...not frequent! I don't trust BAL to own their bikes for long term anyway!
Old 4th April 2008, 12:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only reason I asked about resale because now I am considering a bike for short-term, for I am not liking any of the bikes available currently. So thought I'd buy something for years now and go for "the bike" after 2 years.

Touring would be occasional...not frequent! I don't trust BAL to own their bikes for long term anyway!
I've had the Pulsar 180 for 5 years now (and I bought one used - its an Aug 2002 one). Done about 45k and still going strong. Go long distancing often. So relax about the BAL products' longevity bit, just find a decent service place.

If you can wait for a few more months, you'll have real decent bikes to choose from. If you really need a bike quickly a used Elim will still do good duty, and even well maintained examples will be not more than 35k. The Elim was really well built.
Old 5th April 2008, 11:19   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Let me ask another question - if I decide to sell bike after 2 years; which is likely to have better resale value? Unicorn or Avenger? I can consider buying one of them for 2 years ...and hope that biking scene would be different in couple of years from now - at that time I can consider baby Ninja maybe - if I manage to save enough!
Bajaj bikes had low resale values when compared to HH before Pulsar came into scene. But after Pulsar, the resale value scene(of Bajaj) has almost changed.

And, Pulsar is one of the most after sought bikes in the used bike market.
Old 5th April 2008, 12:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
And, Pulsar is one of the most after sought bikes in the used bike market.
Mithun, glad to hear that! I had a different picture of the market. How much do you think I might get for an Aug 02 P180(Black) ?
Old 5th April 2008, 13:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

An idea about Pulsar resale value in Bangalore. I tried to sell my P-150 DTSi with Alloy wheels and self start (U2 version). It had run 14K Kms then(Jan 08). I was getting about 32K. My bike is Nov 2005 model.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks