Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2008, 00:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the input.I will ask him for this.
Old 3rd November 2008, 02:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

Adjustable cam spindles are not bad and does not themselves cause engine failure - if this happens, it is because of improper adjustment . I wonder why the veteran of 30+ years cannot still adjust cam spindles properly? Do not trust everything these oldies say, sometimes they are just stuck in a rut and do not open up to new things/ideas, though they may be very good at doing what they do, repeatedly over donkeys years. Even RE adopted these as OE at some point, I guess. Not sure, can somebody confirm?

A properly made adjustable cam spindle is the only way to have that perfect meshing of cam gears, with minimum backlash.

Doing that requires skill(something which I don't have, tried my hand at it and failed) and I had a particular old man to set my cams properly, my bike used to feel like butter(makhan jaisa !). He had his other quirks though, which ultimately led me to go away. Dealing with the mechs is a crash course in HR in itself !

Last edited by kuttapan : 3rd November 2008 at 02:53.
Old 3rd November 2008, 03:45   #48
Senior - BHPian

yeah.I will be trying a mechanic at thevara(cochin) soon.
Old 3rd November 2008, 04:35   #49
Senior - BHPian

guys from Ernakulam ,can you suggest a good bullet mechanic there?
Old 3rd November 2008, 09:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Doing that requires skill(something which I don't have, tried my hand at it and failed) and I had a particular old man to set my cams properly, my bike used to feel like butter(makhan jaisa !). He had his other quirks though, which ultimately led me to go away. Dealing with the mechs is a crash course in HR in itself !
Very true man very true. And i have got a hint who that mech you referred to might be
Old 3rd November 2008, 12:40   #51
BHPian

Hey Guys!!

I've started a new thread to rope in all the Bhp'ians who own a Royal Enfield. Come on folks.. Post your beautiful rides and be part of the Thread!!
Old 14th February 2009, 11:26   #52
BHPian

Well for me:

I considered TB and new Machismo bullet before I settled down to RE 500 ES. Same old looks and the gears.

I had one of the first RE Machismo in Ghaziabad in '96. Had it for 5 years before I sold it while going to UK. After coming back bought a RD350. Still felt the need of RE.

Now I went out for RE500 as its gear shift was typical enfield and not on the "worng side". If you want the enfield as it was along with neutral finder then it is an old enfield. Other advantage is you can do lot of subtle modifications, for example putting in carburettor of TB which is costly but would give your vehicle good average and stuff. Also you can go for SS head.

Old enfields (My feeling/opinion) feel more sturdy as compared to the new ones and also sound good.

Best bet would be search for few old ones after deciding a time frame if you get something you like then nothing like it else head to a showroom. Do not delay!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
I've started a new thread to rope in all the Bhp'ians who own a Royal Enfield. Come on folks.. Post your beautiful rides and be part of the Thread!!
LInk?
Old 16th February 2009, 15:12   #53
Senior - BHPian

Dear Experienced Bulleteers,
I read a few posts in this thread where you say that a heavier crank helps improving the thump. Is it possible for somebody to replace the standard crank of electra onto the heavier crank?
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 16th February 2009, 15:41   #54
Senior - BHPian

Heavier Crank can help the people who wants a city ride at 25kmph speed and the Phat-Phat sound(Show off).when it comes to speeding or say cruising at 80kmph speed electra 4s/5s are better -comfortable .
I guess heavy crank will vibrate more and don't know about the top speed either!Choose!Electra anytime-for me
PS: my friend got a electra 5S which is a 2007 model comes with heavy crank! .
Old 16th February 2009, 16:31   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Heavier Crank can help the people who wants a city ride at 25kmph speed and the Phat-Phat sound(Show off).when it comes to speeding or say cruising at 80kmph speed electra 4s/5s are better -comfortable .
I guess heavy crank will vibrate more and don't know about the top speed either!Choose!Electra anytime-for me
PS: my friend got a electra 5S which is a 2007 model comes with heavy crank! .
Dear deepclutch,
Thanks for your reply. Personally, i enjoy riding my bullet at lower speeds ..
Well, i already own an electra 4 speed since 2007 and it was just a enquiry if it is possible to change the crank from the lighter one to heavier one in an electra and is a new heavy crank available as a spare part?
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 17th February 2009, 07:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

^Yes.it is possible.mechanic's got different ways.some weld a "ark" like metal sheet to increase the weight.some gets big crank from scrap/chor markets.different priorities.indeed ,it is possible.
Old 17th February 2009, 09:33   #57
Senior - BHPian

You guys crazy to have the mechanic weld a sheet of metal to the crankshaft to increase it's weight??!!!! What about the dynamic balancing of the crankshaft? Don't tell me that he does it in his lathe!

Buy a new STD350s or Electras crank if you need a heavy crank. Or buy a pre 77 bullet's crank.
Old 18th February 2009, 12:16   #58
BHPian

Electra crank

^ Sure of new Electra's (4s & 5s) having heavy cranks?.

RE brand store say Electras are lighther. (by 1Kg or so). These also responds faster than STD's. Is it then becsause of TCI alone?
Old 18th February 2009, 13:53   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
You guys crazy to have the mechanic weld a sheet of metal to the crankshaft to increase it's weight??!!!! What about the dynamic balancing of the crankshaft? Don't tell me that he does it in his lathe!

Buy a new STD350s or Electras crank if you need a heavy crank. Or buy a pre 77 bullet's crank.
Dear Sankar,
I've a 2007 Electra 4 Speed. Are you really sure that these post 2006 electras come with a heavy crank? Would be nice if you could confirm on this.
Cheers and happy thumping,
Deepak
Old 18th February 2009, 14:53   #60
Senior - BHPian

Yep, it does have a heavier crank. I have not measured it myself but i have this information from a very reliable source. We might have a new STD going in for engine repairs soon, in that case i shall measure and post the figures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks