Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2008, 21:16   #1
BHPian

Advice needed on Enfield

Hi all,

I am planning to get my self a RE. But i am bit confused. With the price for a new one way high would it be better to go in for an old one and mod it. Or is it an overall better experience to go in for a new one.

If new which one, electra 5s or thunderbird.

Valuable suggestions and informations are badly needed..

Thanks.
Old 8th April 2008, 22:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

All depends on your budget and the kind of guy you are.

If you have the moolah, prefer to have a fewer problems(in relative terms), go for a new bike.

If you are strapped for cash, and also the type that consider mechs as part of your friend circle, like to hang around workshops etc, go for an old one and modify it to your hearts content.

Be aware that RE is a white elephant, which ever way you look at it.
Old 9th April 2008, 01:00   #3

Hey Jobinjv, I had the same dilemma before I bought my bull. I went in for a 2000 Machismo - 3rd hand though. The bike was in a great condition, albeit with minor updates/repairs.

Kuttapan is right when he says "All depends on your budget...". I had a very limited budget and I found this bull within the range.

So, it all comes down to YOU.
Old 9th April 2008, 02:23   #4
BHPian

hi, my entirely personal suggestion would be to go for a old bike, not only for the cost factor but for the sole reason that the new enfields are fast losing the charm.. for a while one may be caught off guard by the sweeping wide handle-bars and the stance and the chrome, i myself being a sucker for chrome that said and the fuel economy and the acceleration of modern enfields and the list can go on..

but, one big but, if you are a lover of classic english bikes, there is nothing like a old enfield, the thump of a properly maintained cast iron engine, the right side gears and the ever so useful neutral finder, the straight handle bars and upright seating position and the list can get much longer than the first one here.. hehe

listen carefully and look around, if you do not mind a 2 stroke kinda sound from your machine over the mighty thump, go for the new ones, life would be easier but charm would be discounted to a great extent.. you might catch the imagination of quite a few others but will lose the confidence to go up and stand next to an old thumper riding a 70's machine, not making a second extra sound between the absolutely necessary thumps at the ever so present traffic light.. he'd not bother to look at your chomes.. the cluttery sound of your new machine would be a no bother itself.

an old machine may be hard to start, battery may be giving away at the drop of a hat, fuel economy nothing to write home about, but but but, i leave it to you to weigh and decide for yourself.

my views entirely again, do not want to hurt anyone's feelings, only giving the advice that was asked, everyone has his own likes and dislikes.
Old 9th April 2008, 07:14   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys.

Here are a few more things that can help me decide.

If I go in for an older Enfield:

1.1. Which year should I be looking at and how much will the price be for such.

2.2. Will I be able to fix disc brakes on them and if so at what price

3.3. Will I be able to fix self starter, cos when I am not home for a long time someone will be able to start her, and how much will it come out to.

I have not gone much into Enfield details but I have heard that the present is having Digital TCI. Can someone shed some information on that? And are the carburettors on the present one different from the previous ones.

If I go in for a new Enfield how can I get the Thump of the older model?
Old 9th April 2008, 10:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

What Kuttapan said makes sense. I would also recommend the same.

And if you wish to buy a brand new STD350 but your friends are telling you to go for an older machine because it has got a heavier crank please don't believe them. Since 2003 all the STD350s are coming with the heavy crank like those pre-77 machines. I'm not sure about the Electra's crank weight.

Electra is a good buy.
Old 9th April 2008, 10:42   #7
BHPian

Coming to modification, what i had in mind was very subtle ones. Something like in the picture below

Advice needed on Enfield-bull.jpg

A thuderbird seat with the pillion back rest and thunderbird instrument cluster. Rest all in good ol ways.

Has anyone tried such a thing out and how much have it cost. Does any have any good modification pictures to share and not the out of hand choppers and all.
Old 9th April 2008, 11:16   #8
BHPian

TB instrument cluster on a Bullet chassis? Then it's identity is gone. A Bullet looks Bullet (what I mean here with the term 'Bullet' is the traditional model named Bullet. TB is not a Bullet, its RE TB only) when it has its unique headlight / instrument assembly called casquette. If you want to put TB instrument panel, then you may have to go for TB like HL, which is a sperarate HL fixed o clamps at the top of shocks. In your case, you like TB seat, TB pillion rest, TB instrument cluster, then why don't you go for a TB?

I also had the same qn, but settled with a new std 500. She is serving me for last 4 years.
Old 9th April 2008, 12:56   #9
BHPian

Well, i don like how TB is built. The tank or the side covering. What i was looking for in the TB cluster was the Tacho n the fuel gauge..

But if there is some other way i can mount a fuel gauge i will be more than happy.
Old 9th April 2008, 13:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Job, depends on whats the purpose? is it for looks and city ride only then your options het wider..

If you are looking for long rides then its easier to narrow it down....
Old 9th April 2008, 14:36   #11
kph
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Since 2003 all the STD350s are coming with the heavy crank like those pre-77 machines. I'm not sure about the Electra's crank weight.
Electra is a good buy.
Yes true, But I have heard that it is only In KL and PB. For other states std are lighter.
And yes, all electras are lighter.
Old 9th April 2008, 14:38   #12
BHPian

I has to be looks, thump and city ride.

How much should and '82 enfield be quoted at. And what are the things to be looked into when dealing with old enfields
Old 9th April 2008, 14:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking to buy a old one, i will suggest buy the cheapest you get. then find a mech rebuild the entire thing as per your taste....this would work wonders!
Old 9th April 2008, 15:03   #14
kph
BHPian

Here are my views on selecting the right bullet.
1. If you do not do long rides quite often and do not enjoy very fast riding and if you like the thump and feel of the classic bullet, go for a Cast Iron std bullet.
2. If you intend frequent touring and fast nonstop riding, go for a Machismo or a TB with avl engine. avl is faster, efficient, reliable and long lasting.

whether to go for 350cc or 500cc is up to you. Difference is in performance, mileage and of course price and maintenance cost.

Buying old one or new one depends on your budget and your contact with an expert to inspect and certify old bike before buying.
Since I see your locations KL and TN, I suggest you to look out for a bullet in chennai if you wish to go for an old one. In TN old ones are cheaper compared to KL.

Regarding the modifications you were asking about...
Bullet looks good with a TB seat and a TB tail lamp and no plate assembly. That gives the bike a sleek sexy look. I have done it on my std350. Later the seat is changed to a 535 single though. One advantage with the TB seat is that its broad rider portion is comfortable for long rides. Since the front part is broad you get a bit of thigh support too.
Adding a fuel gauge is waste of time effort and money. Why do we need it?
Front disk breaks will cost you 6K+, i think. But is a very useful addition.
Old 9th April 2008, 18:04   #15
BHPian

Thanks Kph..

I would like a KL registration. I feel the process of getting an old one from Chennai and then changing it to KL is gonna be some tedious process. On top, do u feel that there will be problems with insurance when it comes to older models. And what about Tax.

Another question, on the picture i put up is that a normal Electra handle?

Has anyone here tried out getting an after market disc done, if so can u share the experience.

The last thing is about the carburetors and TCI. It seems all is very different on the newer models and reliable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks