Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2008, 23:03   #1
BHPian

Detailed Update on my Avenger 200 starting problem

Hi everyone,

Finally, I got some time to sit down and type the update on the starting problem in my Avy 200. Well, last Wednesday I took the bike to Bajaj Probiking and spoke to one of the senior guys there in the service section. This guy had been at Bajaj Pune for almost 8 years before coming to Chennai just 6 months back. Tamilian, but he has been in Pune for a long time at the Bajaj headquarters.

I thought I'd take his advice since he was an experienced guy, and since he'd been with Bajaj itself for so long, from the way he spoke I could make out that he was also pretty
knowledgable technically. There were some terms that I couldn't understand and which I had asked him to explain like talking to a lay man. So he saw the bike and checked the starter after turning it off, and it was very weak. He tried 2 times to start it and it was almost dead by the 2nd crank. Then he got a multimeter and connected it to the battery to check the voltage. It was showing only around 11 volts.

This was a digital multimeter. Then what they did was looked around the bike and found that I had a high powered horn installed. One high tone, one low tone - combined, it
produces a lovely tone like a default Santro's horn. Lovely. However, he then said the horn must have been taking all the power.

I then told him that proper wiring was done and even a regulator/cut-out was installed etc and the electricians had installed a slightly more powerful horn in my CBZ 1.5 yrs back and that I had no trouble with it till date. He then said that the horn was connected directly to the battery. I think he said that it was connected directly to the negative terminal or something. I didn't understand this part. He was saying that this had bypassed the charging mechanism, and used to take whatever current was generated when the bike was driven, resulting in the battery not getting charged like usual. So whatever power the battery had was used only to start the bike each time, while all the power generated while the bike was running was taken up by the horn, HID etc. I told him that the HID was also connected directly to the battery but I had not used it at all, apart from testing it at the shop after installation. This testing was also done when the engine was running.

Anyway he said the wiring was wrong, and said that the Avy 200 did not support such a
powerful horn, since this bike had the most powerful headlights in the entire Bajaj series of bikes, except for the projector lamps on the Pulsar 220. He said all the other bikes had only a 35w headlight system while only the Avy 200 had a 55w/60w headlight system. Due to this extra powerful headlight system in the bike, he said some things were compromised like the power allotted to the horn. He said on the Pulsars, dual horns were provided and there were LED tail lamps, digital LED instrument console etc but the headlights were only 35w and hence the wiring was done differently to support dual horns.

I asked him why I couldn't get at least a Pulsar horn fitted to the Avy 200, and he gave me this big explanation. It seemed logical, but I still somehow felt that he was trying to prevent me from fitting a better horn at any cost. Why ? This is still not clear to me.

What he did next was, he started the bike using another proper battery, disconnected it,
then connected my weak battery while the engine was still running. Then he connected the multi meter to it and showed me how the voltage was slowly rising as the engine was revving. He adjusted the idling speed to around 3000-4000 RPM and I saw the voltage on the meter slowly rising to about 12.35 volts. Then he pressed my horn button once and the voltage instantly dropped to almost 11.2 volts and came back slowly.

He used this example to say that each time the horn is pressed, it was taking up so much power from the battery. He then said if I pressed and held down the horn button in a bad traffic situation, it would drain the battery like anything. I was shocked at what I saw on the meter. The horn taking up more than 1 full volt ????

Anyway he then said he would disconnect the high tone horn (one side) and connect just the other one for now, and asked me to take the bike outside to the entrance of the service centre to talk. He then brought the bike out himself. He came and told me (while the engine was still running - didn't want to turn it off, since it wouldn't start probably) that I should go back to the shop where I got everything done and have the powerful horn removed, and the original horn fitted back. He said I could come back once this was done and he would get the battery replaced under warranty without any hassles. But if I came back with the extra wiring and this powerful horn, there would be no chance of getting the battery replaced under warranty.

Then, I decided to go back to the shop and gave the guy a call and told him what happened. He asked me to come over so we could sort out the problem. I went to the shop first, where he asked one of his boys to remove the dual horn and gave a new Roots single horn (similar to the original one on the Avenger) to be fitted. The boys finished this in about 15 mins. The sound was lousy - reminded me of the horn in my 1996 Kinetic Honda actually.

Somehow with the royal look of the bike, now with the nice windshield and lovely alloys and wide rear tyre etc, the horn simply didn't match with the rest of the bike !! Anyway once this was done, he said we could go back to that electrician and explain this to him and see what he said. We went there, and told him what had happened. First, the
electrician said that the HID would not drain the battery unless it was used when the engine was off. I told him that I did not use the HID at all, except for testing and showing my parents at home, after starting the engine. Then he said he would:

(1) remove the yellow bulb & parking light's direct connection to the battery and connect these back to the coil as it was originally
(2) disconnect the HID from my normal high beam switch and pass beam switch, and
connect it to a separate switch which would be installed. He said then when I wanted the HID, I could just turn on this new switch.

What he said was done, and the new switch (a push/pull type like the choke on the left of the Avenger) was installed on the right side, in front of the engine but a bit lower down. It's inconvenient to use when you would like to turn on the HID in traffic, since the right hand has to be taken off the handlebar just to turn on this switch. Plus the position of the switch is something that I have to get used to, since I can't see the switch when I am riding the bike. The guy who installed the switch (one of the electrician's boys - experienced fellows) said that I could use this initially and then come back a bit later to get a smaller switch installed on the handlebar somewhere near the normal light switch / horn switch so that it would be much easier to use. Then he also said they had a high powered battery charger in the shop and they could charge the battery fully for me, which would take about 30-40 mins max.

So they removed the battery and put it for charging, while they removed the seat, tank, backrest, sidebox etc, to do the wiring for the HID and to connect the yellow bulb back to the coil etc. Then they fixed everything back and by that time, the battery was ready and fully charged. When it was connected, the bike started at 1st crank itself. What a relief !!

The shop guy (Hardeep Auto Agencies guy) told me that I could now use the bike for a
couple of days to see if the battery retained the charge or whether the charge was getting reduced like before. In case everything was smooth, I could get the battery replaced under warranty and then get the dual horn fitted once again.

I have been using the bike since last Wednesday (everyday for 10 mins or so) and there has been no starting trouble at all. It starts up fine at 1st crank itself smoothly. I've been using the yellow light on and off with better and more frequent usage of the horn. No problems at all. Just Saturday and today, I took my bike to office and on my way back home, used the HID half way. Today though, I rode to office (approx 8km), parked it there around 9.15am, then left office around 7pm to go and pick up my wife from Tidel Park (which is about 11.5 km from my office). When I was half way thru to her office, (around 6 km) I turned on the HID and didn't turn it off till I picked up my wife, cruised at 70 kmph on that road on 5th gear and reached home by around 8pm. No problems with starting the bike till now.

Anyway 2 days back I called the Bajaj electrical guy and told him about all this. After
hearing everything he said that the battery seemed to be fine now and that I could just
continue using the bike like this without installing that fancy horn.

However I miss that horn badly. It matched really well to the looks and road presence of the Avy 200. I may check this out for another couple of days and then try to change the horn back to the dual horn which I love.

So the bike is fine people. No problem at all. Till date it's been running fine.

To those who thought this may be an issue with the button starter / starter motor etc, well - it's not really like that now. I am now at peace knowing that I can go in the morning and safely start the bike.

If there's anything else, please do email me at vsg12777@gmail.com or PM me.

That's about it for now. Thanks for spending your time and reading this.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 9th April 2008, 03:19   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
He then said that the horn was connected directly to the battery. I think he said that it was connected directly to the negative terminal or something. I didn't understand this part. He was saying that this had bypassed the charging mechanism, and used to take whatever current was generated when the bike was driven, resulting in the battery not getting charged like usual. So whatever power the battery had was used only to start the bike each time, while all the power generated while the bike was running was taken up by the horn, HID etc. I told him that the HID was also connected directly to the battery but I had not used it at all, apart from testing it at the shop after installation.

He used this example to say that each time the horn is pressed, it was taking up so much power from the battery. He then said if I pressed and held down the horn button in a bad traffic situation, it would drain the battery like anything. I was shocked at what I saw on the meter. The horn taking up more than 1 full volt ????
I'm a lay man with technical details and in depth know how, but can understand one simple thing, The whole charge of the battery doesn't drop with honking once or honking a constantly, even when the engine is switched off. I used set the tone of the male & female to what i liked, adjusting the screw and honking to check, i used to do it for hours and still get the self to work without a hitch, even when my old battery was there, 3 1/2 years old, used to drain a bit over night, so much that the self wouldn't work, but it would charge up for the horns to work in a kilometer or two.
-> male horn or female horn both use the same amount of current. 2A or 4A what ever the rating. The difference is in the diaphram, one produces a loud note while the other a low note. Together, it sounds sweet.
->horn doesnt sap power unless you use it or there is a short circuit. If the battery positive is connected to the relay and negative to the switch, unless you press the horn switch the circuit doesnt close, so there is no way of current leaking.(if there's short u'll know, u'll see smoke)
->Even if one honks one's heart out w/o the engine running the battery shouldnt go dead specially when its new, a few kilometers of driving should charge it back up.

Even look at it this way, charging addition is increasing the voltage, honking is using it go the voltage is going down, 1 volt thats normal i guess.
When ever one honks the voltage would drop, even with a regular horn, after all the bike is just idling and any electrical appliance uses current. You should ask him to demonstrate how much voltage a regular horn or the pulsar horn uses, for a fair comparison.

->If ya install the horns w/o a cut out(relay) they draw as much current as the battery can supply, draining it plus the sound isnt that good. A cut out doesn't let that happen, provides a constant supply.

Even i heard a silly explanation from the Honda guy, who refused to charge/ replace the amco battery saying that I had put up a BIG horn that sapped power which resulted in the battery discharging and getting spoilt. The horn in question was a Yezdi's horn designed to work without a battery, on solely the magnet's power, he refused to agree with anything i said, covering it up with a very diplomatic technical explanation which didnt hold a lot of substance but sounded very complex......so the honda Service advisor's explanation was sheer humbug.
I got an exide battery after that. No problems faced since. I'm even hooked up a pair of trumpet horns on it.

Having a completely new wiring(whole loop) for the additions always helps coz the wiring specs of the bike and the additions don't always match perfectly.

One question, you said that a new switch was installed for the HID, Was the HID connected to the coils current before? though the bike's wiring

but then, horns+yellow bulb+parking lights+hid connected directly to the battery(as it looks like), could probably have drained the battery faster than it could charge!
Old 9th April 2008, 09:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

hi Venkat, told you so on your earlier thread, anyways all's well that ends well, just ride on in this stock condition for a few months, then who knows, you can even toy with the idea of changing/upgrading the magento to produce a higher volt and may get a rectifier/alternator done to stabilize it, (like a enfield's) and then you may enjoy your loud horn and etc etc.

If you want more inputs on how to remove the magneto cover and 'rewind' the coil to give a better output let me know. there is a famous guy next to Lalbagh main gate in bangalore, I can check with him.

PS - Do you know the 1st bike in India with a 55-60 output setup.It was the enfield Diesel, So I got headlights that makes even a trucker dip when I switch on High
You may even toy with the idea of getting that coil 'rewound' onto your magneto.

All said, thats a gamble, you will not loose anything more a few blown fuses and 2-3 drained out batterry;s, but worth a try. Why dont you ask the Bajaj Tamilian guy it self if it may work? PS - Warranty WILL GO BUST, thats why i said try after at least 2 services.
Old 9th April 2008, 10:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

It's simply unacceptable that Avenger can't support a pair of powerful horns.

As long as you don't put any of those big Bosch/Hella/Roots horns it should be perfectly fine. Windtones/Roots vibro mini and the other horns of comparable sizes (& similar current draw) should be fine.

The dealer's tech guy told you that since avenger has got a higher wattage headlamp the other electrical bits are compromised. That's pure hogwash, because the headlight is powered by the lighting coil which is different from the charging coil. Headlight is on a different circuit and the current draw there will not affect your battery charging circuit.

Maybe your horn wasn't wired the proper way or maybe you were using the horn for long durations. This is the only reason why it would make the battery go dead.

For occasional use your 9Ah battery should support any decent horn. If you use both horn and the HID excessively you can go in for a 14Ah battery.
Old 9th April 2008, 10:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good detailed explanation and i feel the technician is right in all respects.You can actually consult him for other options in getting a better horn too.
ram
Old 9th April 2008, 22:20   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
It's simply unacceptable that Avenger can't support a pair of powerful horns.

As long as you don't put any of those big Bosch/Hella/Roots horns it should be perfectly fine. Windtones/Roots vibro mini and the other horns of comparable sizes (& similar current draw) should be fine.

The dealer's tech guy told you that since avenger has got a higher wattage headlamp the other electrical bits are compromised. That's pure hogwash, because the headlight is powered by the lighting coil which is different from the charging coil. Headlight is on a different circuit and the current draw there will not affect your battery charging circuit.

Maybe your horn wasn't wired the proper way or maybe you were using the horn for long durations. This is the only reason why it would make the battery go dead.

For occasional use your 9Ah battery should support any decent horn. If you use both horn and the HID excessively you can go in for a 14Ah battery.
Sankar,

I agree with you absolutely. I mean the single tone horn I am using now sucks big time and just does not match with the rest of the bike. It sounds like my old 1996 Kinetic Honda horn. A bike like the Avenger 200 with the windshield, wide tyres, imported alloys etc should have a nice horn to match with the character of the bike.

Like I mentioned earlier, I never honk continuously by holding down the horn button. I always use it in short presses. I never used the HID before the battery drained. I was riding mainly with my parking light only and occasionally I used to turn on the yellow low beam light. I do the same thing on my CBZ too.

14Ah battery ? Would such a battery fit in my bike in the same slot ? I think just for safety's sake I would think of going in for this more powerful battery. What brand / model of 14Ah battery do I look for and what would be the approximate cost ? Would the battery shop get it installed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
hi Venkat, told you so on your earlier thread, anyways all's well that ends well, just ride on in this stock condition for a few months, then who knows, you can even toy with the idea of changing/upgrading the magento to produce a higher volt and may get a rectifier/alternator done to stabilize it, (like a enfield's) and then you may enjoy your loud horn and etc etc.

If you want more inputs on how to remove the magneto cover and 'rewind' the coil to give a better output let me know. there is a famous guy next to Lalbagh main gate in bangalore, I can check with him.

PS - Do you know the 1st bike in India with a 55-60 output setup.It was the enfield Diesel, So I got headlights that makes even a trucker dip when I switch on High
You may even toy with the idea of getting that coil 'rewound' onto your magneto.

All said, thats a gamble, you will not loose anything more a few blown fuses and 2-3 drained out batterry;s, but worth a try. Why dont you ask the Bajaj Tamilian guy it self if it may work? PS - Warranty WILL GO BUST, thats why i said try after at least 2 services.

Hmm rewinding the coil to get higher voltage output sounds interesting but I think I would try this later. Thanks for the idea though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
I'm a lay man with technical details and in depth know how, but can understand one simple thing, The whole charge of the battery doesn't drop with honking once or honking a constantly, even when the engine is switched off. I used set the tone of the male & female to what i liked, adjusting the screw and honking to check, i used to do it for hours and still get the self to work without a hitch, even when my old battery was there, 3 1/2 years old, used to drain a bit over night, so much that the self wouldn't work, but it would charge up for the horns to work in a kilometer or two.
-> male horn or female horn both use the same amount of current. 2A or 4A what ever the rating. The difference is in the diaphram, one produces a loud note while the other a low note. Together, it sounds sweet.
->horn doesnt sap power unless you use it or there is a short circuit. If the battery positive is connected to the relay and negative to the switch, unless you press the horn switch the circuit doesnt close, so there is no way of current leaking.(if there's short u'll know, u'll see smoke)
->Even if one honks one's heart out w/o the engine running the battery shouldnt go dead specially when its new, a few kilometers of driving should charge it back up.

Even look at it this way, charging addition is increasing the voltage, honking is using it go the voltage is going down, 1 volt thats normal i guess.
When ever one honks the voltage would drop, even with a regular horn, after all the bike is just idling and any electrical appliance uses current. You should ask him to demonstrate how much voltage a regular horn or the pulsar horn uses, for a fair comparison.

->If ya install the horns w/o a cut out(relay) they draw as much current as the battery can supply, draining it plus the sound isnt that good. A cut out doesn't let that happen, provides a constant supply.

Even i heard a silly explanation from the Honda guy, who refused to charge/ replace the amco battery saying that I had put up a BIG horn that sapped power which resulted in the battery discharging and getting spoilt. The horn in question was a Yezdi's horn designed to work without a battery, on solely the magnet's power, he refused to agree with anything i said, covering it up with a very diplomatic technical explanation which didnt hold a lot of substance but sounded very complex......so the honda Service advisor's explanation was sheer humbug.
I got an exide battery after that. No problems faced since. I'm even hooked up a pair of trumpet horns on it.

Having a completely new wiring(whole loop) for the additions always helps coz the wiring specs of the bike and the additions don't always match perfectly.

One question, you said that a new switch was installed for the HID, Was the HID connected to the coils current before? though the bike's wiring
but then, horns+yellow bulb+parking lights+hid connected directly to the battery(as it looks like), could probably have drained the battery faster than it could charge!

Gendarmee

Your information was useful. Reading through what you have mentioned, I am convinced that the electrician did a proper job with the lighting. Remember that they did only the HID installation. The HID, parking light and yellow low beam light were connected directly to the battery. Nothing was connected to the coil. So all of these could be operated by just turning the key to the ON position. The HID was also connected to the pass beam switch (for flashing while overtaking etc) But, I never used any of these without turning on the engine. And I never used the HID before the battery got drained. Thinking about this, I am still confused as to how the battery got drained. Now, with the new wiring setup, the yellow bulb and parking light are connected to the coil and the HID is connected directly to the battery through a separate switch. Now the yellow bulb (low beam) is connected to the pass beam switch. It is so dull and keeps flickering which is so irritating after seeing the nice bright constant beam of the HID when it is turned on.

And the HID for sure makes people turn their heads. They think a top of the line Skoda/Mercedes/Audi/BMW etc is coming behind them - and I end up overtaking them on my Avenger 200. That feeling is just something that can't be described here !!
Old 9th April 2008, 23:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
Sankar,

I agree with you absolutely. I mean the single tone horn I am using now sucks big time and just does not match with the rest of the bike. It sounds like my old 1996 Kinetic Honda horn. A bike like the Avenger 200 with the windshield, wide tyres, imported alloys etc should have a nice horn to match with the character of the bike.

Like I mentioned earlier, I never honk continuously by holding down the horn button. I always use it in short presses. I never used the HID before the battery drained. I was riding mainly with my parking light only and occasionally I used to turn on the yellow low beam light. I do the same thing on my CBZ too.

14Ah battery ? Would such a battery fit in my bike in the same slot ? I think just for safety's sake I would think of going in for this more powerful battery. What brand / model of 14Ah battery do I look for and what would be the approximate cost ? Would the battery shop get it installed ?
In your case 14Ah battery is not required. It's only required in heavy current draw situation like using the high draw horns for too long and running couple of auxiliary lamps off the battery. 14Ah battery comes in the electric start Enfields.

Could you tell me which horn you fitted on to the bike, it's make & model? You should be able to use a pair of decent after market horns in your bike. It's a normal thing to do, as faras i know the electricals of the Avenger 180 and the Avenger 200 are the same except the Avenger 200 having an additional circuit for the fuel gauge. Get your wiring done from a good electrician, you should be able to use the horns. Stebel windtones are a good choice, use the relay they come with. I have those on my Bullet.
Old 10th April 2008, 00:45   #8
BHPian

[quote=Sankar;789960 Stebel windtones are a good choice, use the relay they come with. I have those on my Bullet.[/quote]

The stebel-natius that ur refering too, is it the one piece pressure horn or the trumpet(fist like shaped) 2 piece horns?
How much would they cost around? (I'm looking for a different tone horn of the same kind, I have a Fiamm on the kine, Roots on the car, Mico-bosch on the activa-(all trumpet horns))
Old 10th April 2008, 01:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

No i'm not referring to the Stebel Nautilus, which is an air horn. I had it in my 800. Air horns are bad on bikes with a limited battery capacity because they have pretty high current draw. Nautilus cost me 850 bucks in Blore.

The Stebel windtones are dual electric horns with hi & lo tones, they have a very pleasing but powerful sound. The pair cost me 800 bucks in Blore.
Old 10th April 2008, 01:21   #10
BHPian

[quote=Sankar;790064The Stebel windtones are dual electric horns with hi & lo tones, they have a very pleasing but powerful sound. The pair cost me 800 bucks in Blore.[/quote]

thanks for the price and info, am not looking at the air horn too, the sound is soft...thats exactly why i asked ya!

Is windtone = trumpet? I'm attaching a picture of a trumpet.
Loudness and punch in sound is what im looking for, I put a pair of the jawa's fiamm horn on the kine, coz they were 6V they sound sweet and like that of a truck, looking for something like that!
After all, the horn gives the personality to the bike/car!
Attached Thumbnails
Detailed Update on my Avenger 200 starting problem-dsc06620.jpg  

Old 10th April 2008, 21:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
thanks for the price and info, am not looking at the air horn too, the sound is soft...thats exactly why i asked ya!

Loudness and punch in sound is what im looking for, I put a pair of the jawa's fiamm horn on the kine, coz they were 6V they sound sweet and like that of a truck, looking for something like that!
Exactly Gendarmee. The horn just changes the personality of the bike. I really miss a nice horn in my Avenger 200. Have to get one fitted soon. The trumpet horns on my CBZ look similar to your black Mico Bosch horns in the picture. So this is not what I want to get. I shall attach the picture of the dual tone horns removed from my Avenger when I had the battery problem.

Quote:
No i'm not referring to the Stebel Nautilus, which is an air horn. I had it in my 800. Air horns are bad on bikes with a limited battery capacity because they have pretty high current draw. Nautilus cost me 850 bucks in Blore.

The Stebel windtones are dual electric horns with hi & lo tones, they have a very pleasing but powerful sound. The pair cost me 800 bucks in Blore.
Sankar, the description of your horn sounds good. But the thing is that now I have 3 different types of horns with me - the original lousy single tone one that came with the Avenger factory fitted (removed and given to me), the nice dual tone horns fitted at the shop (now removed and with me due to the battery problem) and a new different Roots single tone horn which is currently on the bike. This was because when I went to the shop with the battery problem, I didn't take the original Avenger horn with me.

I shall attach a picture of the dual tone horn which I have with me, and probably that would make it clearer to you. It is also a Roots horn, but I am not sure of the model. The picture should make it clear. Will update this thread with the picture.
Old 10th April 2008, 22:37   #12
BHPian

so the dual tone horn is the problem eh. Anyways am using the dual horn that comes in the pulsar and am pretty much satisfied with it. Way better than the avy stock horn.
Old 10th April 2008, 23:21   #13
BHPian

These ones? I attached a picture( the ones in the pic are type 3(ten years old)) )

Quote:
The Stebel windtones are dual electric horns with hi & lo tones, they have a very pleasing but powerful sound.
Got my answer to the trumpet=windtone question when i snapped this pic....FIAMM calls it Trumpet type while Roots calls it Windtone type, both are the same, I just found out..
I'm going to try out stebel windtones this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Detailed Update on my Avenger 200 starting problem-dsc06625.jpg  

Last edited by gendarmee : 10th April 2008 at 23:39. Reason: typo
Old 21st April 2008, 00:17   #14
BHPian

Pics of the horns on my Avenger 200

Quote:
In your case 14Ah battery is not required. It's only required in heavy current draw situation like using the high draw horns for too long and running couple of auxiliary lamps off the battery. 14Ah battery comes in the electric start Enfields.

Could you tell me which horn you fitted on to the bike, it's make & model? You should be able to use a pair of decent after market horns in your bike. It's a normal thing to do, as faras i know the electricals of the Avenger 180 and the Avenger 200 are the same except the Avenger 200 having an additional circuit for the fuel gauge. Get your wiring done from a good electrician, you should be able to use the horns. Stebel windtones are a good choice, use the relay they come with. I have those on my Bullet.
Sankar

as promised, the snaps of my dual horn (Roots, 12V / 4A rating) and the factory fitted Minda single horn (12V / 2A) are included at the bottom of this message. The snaps taken on my bed of the dual horn also show the regulator / cut-out installed with the horn.

The last picture shows my Minda original factory fitted horn on the Avy 200. Now you guys can tell me if the horn I chose (the Roots dual one) is okay.

By the way, I got a new battery (AMCO 12V/9Ah one for 1300 bucks) installed. Last 2 days, I have been using only the yellow head light & single horn. I was advised by the shop guy to use these for at least the 1st 30-40 kms and then start using the dual horn and HID, so that the battery gets set by then. I am following this, and hope that I don't have any more problems. If the battery still gets drained, then I shall have the wiring checked up thoroughly. Now it would be clear - if the battery gets drained, it is a wiring problem. If the battery does not get drained, then it was due to a defective battery. I know it was a gamble of Rs. 1300/- with the new battery but I was willing to do it. Last 2 days, it has been okay.

I look forward to your views on the horns chosen by me. The dual horn and the original one are now fitted on the bike, through a switch on the left side bottom so that I can choose whichever horn I want or turn them both off by putting the switch in the middle position when I park the bike.

Quote:

Gendarmee

My CBZ Roots windtone horn is red and looks almost the same as the Bosch one in your picture. Good sound, but it is a bit soft. Far better than the stock one though. Another shocking thing my friend told me was that my CBZ had only a 9V battery and it was supporting a Roots 12V / 4A horn without problems !!! I was astonished to hear this, to say the least.

Anyway that is about it for now. Please do see my horn pictures and give me your views.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Attached Thumbnails
Detailed Update on my Avenger 200 starting problem-11042008171.jpg  

Detailed Update on my Avenger 200 starting problem-11042008172.jpg  

Detailed Update on my Avenger 200 starting problem-11042008173.jpg  

Detailed Update on my Avenger 200 starting problem-11042008175.jpg  

Detailed Update on my Avenger 200 starting problem-11042008174.jpg  

Old 21st April 2008, 01:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Those horns look perfectly allright and there shouldn't be any problems whatsoever. It's those big roots vibro range of horns that will suck your batt dry.

The CBZ has a 12v electrical system so the battery has to be 12volt, maybe your friend meant 9Ah. There is no 9 volt automotive battery that i know of.

Btw i too switched to a 12v 9Ah battery for my Bullet. Earlier i had a 5Ah battery and my Stebel windtones were powered by 5Ah

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks