Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2008, 14:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Riding with a Cut Accelerator Cable?

Guys, Have you experienced any cable cut situation in your bike. Recently I managed to get my throttle cable cut on my Bullet and to Ride 40Kms with the cable being pulled by my bare hands. Painful thing to do..!!

Any one managed to live through such a experience, share how you over came it.

I once rode a samurai back home without any back brakes. Had to disconnect them manually since they were in the danger of cracking up the hub, So rode only with the uselss Front Hub brakes.

God forbid anyone manages to cut his Clutch wire. There is nothing one can do, they are impossible to pull even on a 100CC bike, let alone a enfield or even a car..!!
Attached Thumbnails
Riding with a Cut Accelerator Cable?-bike4.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 30th April 2008, 15:12   #2
BHPian

I've done it once in despration to get to the mechanic. made a loop of the throttle cable(inner+outer) that i could hold in the fist, and the pulled that from under the tank on the jawa. was tough coz the bike is set to a what i call, a dead beat. the konks off if one doesnt hold the throttle. Once in motion it wasnt a problem,not a lot in distance, 3 kilometers.
Clutch wire breaking on the jawa isn't much of a problem though, its got an auto clutch, can change the gear w/o the clutch at the right speed, can push it and engage the gear. but braking becomes a problem, the 2nd neutral comes in handy then. But it takes a good amount of learning.

Once the accelerator cable on on the 118ne broke, 12 in the night. no mechie available at that time of the day...the button had broken off the wire, so the connection to the carb broke. was impossible to get a new wire too, I didn't want to leave the car and go, all i wanted to do was find a way to make the wire work, aleast to a relatives place.
I opened the boot and check out the nuts & bolts, one bolt didn't have grooves on the neck and nut fit it well loosely onto it, after tightening the bolt to the neck such that it got free at the neck, there was enough space to slip the wire in through the nut-bolt.
I fit the bolt where the cable's head fit on the carb, slipped the cable in and fixed the bolt onto the grooves, the wire got stuck b/w the grooves of the bolt and the nut.
a little adjusting of the cable made the idling motor able, was advanced otherwise.I used it for a week like that before getting the cable replaced.
Old 30th April 2008, 15:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

Make a loop with the cable.
Insert a pen or stick or spanner thru it.
Makes it easy to ride and handle.

I have ridden bikes with
1. cut accelerator cables.
2. jammed acc cable, using ignition off for control.
3. cut clutch cable.
4. zero preasure in front disc.
5. torn air filter hose.

I once towed a bike some 75 kms using my foot on the disabled bike' footrest.

Keep Thumping.
Old 30th April 2008, 15:55   #4
BHPian

riding with a cut-clutch cable is relatively easy.
Did it 2 weeks back. You can ride the way you ride normally.

Probably because i'm accustomed to clutch-less shifts.
Old 30th April 2008, 16:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
...God forbid anyone manages to cut his Clutch wire. There is nothing one can do, ...
I once had to drive our Bajaj Cub scooter (more than 10 years ago), with a cut clutch cable. I would start it, push it little using my legs, and after it gained a little momentum, engage the first gear : it would jump forward, and continue moving . Once it started moving , I could change gears normally (there would be a jerking movement , of course). Whenever I had to stop at a signal, I had to quickly bring it to neutral : it was quite some fun.
Old 30th April 2008, 16:23   #6
BHPian

My bullet used to lose its clutch cable fairly regularly. Remedy: Pull the cable out of the sleeve. tie it around the left side of the crash guard. Use your feet to push the clutch like a car - you are in business
Old 30th April 2008, 16:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
My bullet used to lose its clutch cable fairly regularly. Remedy: Pull the cable out of the sleeve. tie it around the left side of the crash guard. Use your feet to push the clutch like a car - you are in business
One of the best ideas I have heard. I will surely remember you the day I meet this dreaded situation.
Old 30th April 2008, 18:17   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Fantastic.

almost tempted to get someone else to snap off thier clutch cable so I can try this out.
Old 30th April 2008, 18:55   #9
BHPian

Better solution. Maintain your bikes properly.
Old 1st May 2008, 08:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

Some really great ideas in this thread!

The only question i have is - who took the picture??

cya
R
Old 1st May 2008, 08:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Riding a bike with a cut acclerator cable... Hmm... How about driving a bus like that?

One I have seen this KSRTC (Kerala State RTC) driver driving the bus like this. He tied a plastic rope onto the cable from where it got cut, held the other end in his hand and managed to drive.

And yes, one car ride a Bajaj Chetak even if there's no clutch cable. Only difficult thing is to get the scooter moving from standstill. Afterwards, you don't need the clutch at all!

Last edited by clevermax : 1st May 2008 at 08:07.
Old 1st May 2008, 19:45   #12
BHPian

I've done this on my 1976 yezdi once. I had a friend of mine sit on the front seat and reach the naked accel cable near the carb below the gas tank and pull. while i behind and some how managed to reach the handle bars to control the bike. we rode it 2 kms to my house !
Old 1st May 2008, 21:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Cool. Kinda like a suicide clutch
Old 1st May 2008, 23:04   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The only question i have is - who took the picture??
cya
R
You beat me to it,Rehaan. I was going to ask Santosh how he managed to take a pic of the whole situation. A pillion rider on such a bike?
Old 2nd May 2008, 01:07   #15
BHPian

Ahh, this brings up memories...

A snapped throttle wire on my RX100 when I was 150 km from home resulted in my rigging up the wire to my front brake lever, with the help of those cable lock nut thingies found on the likes of the TVS50. Worked like a charm!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks