Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 21:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

@Tantragna - All RTRs come with Clip On Handle bars
Old 31st August 2010, 13:48   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantragna View Post
So its a 180cc bike now? How much did the upgrade or mod costed? Does your bike has clip on type handlebar? What is the expected FE? Sorry too many questions!
Its around 172cc with an increase of about 2 BHP as quoted by Joel. But the clincher was the improvement in the mid and top end torque. The number of gearshifts has decreased compared to the stock bike. Overtaking on the highways is a breeze. Went on a short 150kms ride over the weekend as i want to finish the run in soon With a pillion, overtaking trucks was easy without any downshifts.

There are some minor adjustments to sort out before its perfect but on the whole, happy with the performance of the bike and kudos to Joel for his workmanship and response.

PS: Thanks Techno, for answering the Clip-on handlebar query.
Old 23rd December 2010, 15:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

Upgrades complete!!

Time for an update!!

Got the second set of mods completed by Joel over the last week. Got hold of the bike yesterday and boy oh boy!! What a dramatic change the mods have made.

List of Mods carried out so far:

1. Big bore kit
2. Cylinder head work
3. Compression bump
4. Custom free flow exhaust
5. BS29 carb
6. K&N R1060 free flow air filter

Now the bike is a different beast altogether. It revvs cleanly till the red line without any hint of vibration in the handle bar/foot pegs. This was my main grouse with the bike and thanks to Joel, its sorted out. Low and mid range torque is excellent compared to stock bike and rideability in the city is at its best. The most distinctive change is to the top end punch. Once it crosses 60, it pulls as if a turbo has just come alive!!! And it gets to 60 much much faster than when the first set of mods were completed.

The exhaust note is intoxicating to say the least and I wait to take it out every morning and ride it again in the night after work.

Money well spent and Joel is "The" one when it comes to modifications. Hats off to you Joel !!
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

Re: Apache RTR160 - Ownership Review

Know what the thread miss? Color! Where are the pix!

And would actually love a video so that we can hear the sound of new exhaust + rest.

Lucky you! that you have experts nearby to mod your bike.
Old 23rd December 2010, 17:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Know what the thread miss? Color! Where are the pix!

And would actually love a video so that we can hear the sound of new exhaust + rest.

Lucky you! that you have experts nearby to mod your bike.
Thanks JKD. The bike is currently all muddy and dirty. Will give it a good wash and polish over the weekend and click some pics. Will try and post a video too!
Old 23rd December 2010, 22:02   #51
Senior - BHPian

Sounds good man, keep us posted on the overall performance & also how well does the bike keep up with the changes
Old 23rd December 2010, 23:25   #52
BHPian

lovely.. I wish I was in bangalore!

BTW has the free flow got you in trouble with any cops? Its very loud, have heard joel's works on my friend's machine!
Old 24th December 2010, 13:56   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
BTW has the free flow got you in trouble with any cops? Its very loud, have heard joel's works on my friend's machine!
2 days since i am riding it to work and no trouble so far. I informed Joel before hand to make it as subtle as possible without losing out on the performance. Also if i keep the revs low when the cops are around, its not a problem as the sound is not so loud when not revving it.
Old 24th December 2010, 16:52   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Upgrades complete!!

Hi Abhinav, I just came across this thread. .

Well, I too own a RTR from right from the time its been launched. One of the bikes from the first batch to land on Cochin. June, 2007. 32,000kms done.

Nowadays, I don't get to spend too much time on the bike, but still am enjoying every bit spent on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
It revvs cleanly till the red line without any hint of vibration in the handle bar/foot pegs.
The only gripe the bike was giving was the irritating vibration, and its great to know that you have managed to take care of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
1. Big bore kit
2. Cylinder head work
3. Compression bump
4. Custom free flow exhaust
5. BS29 carb
6. K&N R1060 free flow air filter
If it is OK with you, could you please provide a cost break up of the above mentioned mods?.
Old 27th December 2010, 00:17   #55
BHPian

Re: Upgrades complete!!

I built the package. Anything related, pls send me a PM. No costs and details will be shared online. I have some bolt-on options for the RTR.
Old 27th December 2010, 00:38   #56
BHPian

Met Abhinav today and went for a good 2kms ride. What an awesome performance!! I found the low end and top-end to be splendid! With the exhaust note, who needs horns? You can show your arrival in style. Thanks for the ride Abhinav Joel, impressive work mate!
Old 29th December 2010, 14:32   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The only gripe the bike was giving was the irritating vibration, and its great to know that you have managed to take care of that.
Thanks to Joel, no vibes in the handle bars even in the mid range which was the most troublesome for me. And yes its worth every penny spent as the feel of the bike is totally different. You can PM Joel (forum id: fieorid) for more specific details

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
I built the package.
Thanks for the package dude. Its a cracker of a bike now after the 2nd set of mods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
Met Abhinav today and went for a good 2kms ride. What an awesome performance!! I found the low end and top-end to be splendid! With the exhaust note, who needs horns? You can show your arrival in style. Thanks for the ride Abhinav Joel, impressive work mate!
Nice meeting you too Sunil. Glad you liked the mods and thanks to Joel for the impressive work
Old 13th January 2011, 22:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

Mileage update

After completing the mods, the first time round that I am doing the calculations on mileage, the figures are surprising to me at least!!
To give a fair idea, the stock RTR with my riding style, used to return 40-42kmpl in the city. After the mods and ripping the bike on a daily basis, the bike has managed to return a healthy 45kmpl. I am impressed to say the least. Joel, man, you are a magician!! Hats off bro!

PS: Will try and click the much needed pics for the thread and upload them this weekend!
Old 3rd February 2011, 04:01   #59
BHPian

Still looking forward to the pics and videos.

Great bike and with mods from Joel it sure sounds really tempting. I envy you
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:20   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
Still looking forward to the pics and videos.
Sorry folks, have not had time to clean the bike for the pics. I promise I will get it done this weekend.

Another mileage update - With sane riding and touching 90kmph only 3-4 times and 100kmph only once, the bike returned 48kmpl!!!

With 4 refills and reserve to reserve method of checking I can safely assume that the mileage has settled down to 45kmpl with ripping and around 47-48kmpl with sane riding.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks