Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2008, 01:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Need Help urgently - Dio or Flyte??

Hi to all Bhpians,

I would need your esteemed advice and guidance in buying an ungeared vehicle. From the time i have learnt riding, i have used a geared bike only and have never used an ungeared vehicle except for the short ride to the shop about 1 km away once in a blue moon. So I am a novice when it comes to ungeared scoots.

My priority in an ungeared scoot are as listed below:
  • Should be light and easy to handle with good shock absorbers
  • Seating position should be very comfortable for rides upto 30-50 kms in very heavy traffic without any aches or pains since i already have an injured arm.
  • Should have good road grip since I am very new to ungeared scoots and would not like to fall due to a small pebble on the road or after hitting a pot hole.
  • Mileage is not a big concern but would be a plus point if its good.
I ruled out Activa since it was heavy and also had a dated design. Scooty was out of question since its not adequately powered to pull two people.
I was not given a test ride of Suzuki Access and was told that I have to book it without a test ride and the waiting time is 2-3 months. So ruled that out as well. Never liked the design of Access in the first place.

I was left with the Honda Dio and Sym Flyte. Went through a long thread here on Flyte and was almost sure I will go for it but then wanted to take a ride on the Dio as well.

The new Dio sport looks really well finished in terms of paint quality and I also liked the design. But the ride quality was a bit low when compared to Flyte. Wait time for the Dio Sport was around a week with the dealer near 9th block Jayanagar in B'lore. The attitude of the salesperson was not very nice and he was least bothered to make a sale. He was not interested to answer any of my questions regarding the ride quality as well.

Flyte on the other hand does not have the paint quality like the Dio sport but its not bad at all. The ride quality was really good (credit probably goes to the telescopic front shocks) and it took on the pot holed roads with lots of aplomb. But it felt a wee bit small when compared to Dio. Also there is the notorious question mark about the Kinetic A.S.S. The Flyte was literally available off the shelf. I only had to select the color and the vehicle and it would be ready by next day afternoon along with the registration and all the documentation complete. Since I was paying full cash the sales person coaxed me to go for it by saying its the best right now etc etc. But as advised on T-Bhp i took it with a pinch of salt and said I would be back.

At the moment I am very confused between the two and looking for help desperately since my daily commute is affected after selling off the RTR and I am not able to keep up by paying the autowallahs the sum they demand as per their whims and fancies.

All Dio and Flyte owners advice and help at the earliest would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help guys!!

Abhi
Old 4th May 2008, 11:40   #2
BHPian

flyte is better

As a flyte owner i am happy to recommend the scoot over the dio.

Mainly we really appreciate the flyte's better suspension, handling and convenience like big storage, front fueling etc. plus other gizmos.

In scooters, handling is very important and Flyte scores highly here. Also we find that the telescopic forks make a big difference to ride quality & quite nicely protect yr back. mileage is good too, about 45-47 for solo, decent riding. Flyte also gets + marks for safety related concerns such as brakes & headlights.

Having first hand experienced service at kinetic dealership & honda dealership, I will say that service is much better at Kinetic than at honda. Honda dealers have a very bad atttitude towards customers.
Old 4th May 2008, 14:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbandra View Post
As a flyte owner i am happy to recommend the scoot over the dio.

Mainly we really appreciate the flyte's better suspension, handling and convenience like big storage, front fueling etc. plus other gizmos.

In scooters, handling is very important and Flyte scores highly here. Also we find that the telescopic forks make a big difference to ride quality & quite nicely protect yr back. mileage is good too, about 45-47 for solo, decent riding. Flyte also gets + marks for safety related concerns such as brakes & headlights.

Having first hand experienced service at kinetic dealership & honda dealership, I will say that service is much better at Kinetic than at honda. Honda dealers have a very bad atttitude towards customers.
Thanks a lot BrainBadra! I also noticed that the attitude of the Honda showroom guys was not very good towards the customer and they were least bothered if they made a sale or not.
On the other hand the DR Motors guy in Bangalore was very pleasant to talk to though there were already 3 customers waiting to talk to him about the Flyte.
I am being a offered a good deal by the Flyte salesperson as well since I am paying full cash upfront. He said he can have the vehicle ready and registered by tomorrow evening if i pay him the cash in the morning before 11.30, which I think is very quick given my urgency to get a two wheeler.
Thanks for your quick reply and advice! I think i am 99% inclined towards Flyte now.

Regards
Abhi
Old 4th May 2008, 16:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
My priority in an ungeared scoot are as listed below:
  • Seating position should be very comfortable for rides upto 30-50 kms in very heavy traffic without any aches or pains since i already have an injured arm.
I own a Dio, the above requirement won't be fulfilled by a Dio since it's seating position is more sporty than sedate. The ergo's would worse if you are to ride pillion. Activa has a more upright seating than Dio.
I can't comment over Flyte's because I'm yet to ride it...
Old 4th May 2008, 20:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
I own a Dio, the above requirement won't be fulfilled by a Dio since it's seating position is more sporty than sedate. The ergo's would worse if you are to ride pillion. Activa has a more upright seating than Dio.
I can't comment over Flyte's because I'm yet to ride it...
Hey there five46, thanks a lot for that bit of info. Its decided then that its going to be flyte for me. Activa has better seating but is a bit on the heavier side and looks dated and old. So flyte it is. Will post an initial ownership report once its delivered.

Thanks to five46 & brainbadra who helped me with this decision! Much appreciated!!!

Regards
Abhi
Old 4th May 2008, 22:32   #6
BHPian

abhinav I have a Dio and Activa with me.
I will say that you take another look at Activa. Although its heavier it has much better ride and handling than Dio which makes up for the weight.
Both Dio and Activa have given us very good service and have gone on and on, sometime even without any service for 6+ months.

Though Flyte seems to be a good scooter, IMO activa is much better and proven scooter.
Old 4th May 2008, 23:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post

Though Flyte seems to be a good scooter, IMO activa is much better and proven scooter.
Hi Vabs, I totally agree with your above point that Activa is a proven scoot. And I am getting it within a week as well... No more insane waiting periods.

But the thing is the scoot that I buy now will be used by ladies in the house as well. And both my fiance and my mom are short. So I am skeptical as to if they can handle the weight of Activa. I know there are lots of ladies ripping around on Activas/Dios on B'lore roads... Hmmm.. U have me in a tight spot now.

I was almost certain on the Flyte and was about to make payment tomorrow as today is Sunday... Good thing is I am off tomorrow from work... So I will leave early and take a ride on the Activa along with my fiance. If she is ok to handle it then I am all game for it. Though it will be me doing most of the riding, its better to get her to test it as well.. I dont want her to blame me later on saying that I did not consider her during the buy...
Old 5th May 2008, 11:04   #8
BHPian

Flyte would be better choice as mentioned by brianbandra. I too own a Flyte and i use it for my daily trip to office (round trip 50KMS). It is quite confortable too. You can go through my post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...0-kms-odo.html for more info .
Old 5th May 2008, 11:21   #9
BHPian

Abhinav, i suggest u even consider Aviator !

Even i was sailing in same ship as you are in now 2 weeks back, until i got my new Aviator from City Honda showroom.

For:
1. A definate head turner on road, was shocked to see young guys & gals stearing @ my bike, some people followed me closely with thier 220 CC bikes... heheh...
2. The bike has a upmarket feel, you actually sit well above the ground. (Good if you are more than 5.8" tall). The Access and Activa looked like its younger sisters near Indiranagar signal.
3. Milege and ride is simply superb and very comfortable.
4. Proven HONDA silent engine.
5. Excelllent Quality and refinement.

Against:
1. Sales agents are too busy doing business!!! (As you already experianced it in Honda showroom, need to follow up at each step ny yourself.)
2. All round body protection guard is not available (had to get it from Goa).
3. Crowded Honda service centers.

In all a Honda is a Honda i must say, gives you a complete peace of mind.

If decided on a Honda than get it from Dhruvdesh. My collegues have got from them are the service is quite good. I got my Aviator from City Honda just because they waved off 2% transaction charge on swiping my Cr. Card.

Keep us updated on your decision...
Old 5th May 2008, 14:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
1. Sales agents are too busy doing business!!! (As you already experianced it in Honda showroom, need to follow up at each step ny yourself.).
I also felt this.
But latter with time I realised that this happens with all hot-selling products.
Old 5th May 2008, 14:45   #11
BHPian

Looking at all your requirements, why don't you try the HH Pleasure also, if you can carry that 'girlie' tag with you that is...
The work mill and most cycle parts are from Activa/Dio albeit the engine little pimped (or pesk-ed) for fuel efficiency (Well, HH claims so...). Take a test ride of this option too before you decide.
I would still be a little apprehensive about Kinetic inspite of many Gurus praising it.
Old 5th May 2008, 15:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the help and advice in this regard. The decision has been taken. Kinetic Sym Flyte it is. Have paid the amount to the dealer and am just back home. The delivery is in the evening. Chosen the Black color. Will post pics once I get some free time.

After a run of all the showrooms including the HH Pleasure, decision was made to go for the Kinetic-Sym Flyte.

@mail4loys - Have read through your thread on T-Bhp and the one by DCEite as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

@sary - Thanks for the suggestion sary, but since short people at home will be using it as well, Aviator was not preferred by them. So had to leave it out of the decision. OT, my fiance was not comfortable as she is only 5'2 and could not keep her foot on the road. She was furious that I was giggling away to glory when she came back from the test ride.

@five46 - Tried the HH Pleasure as well today buddy, but felt that Flyte rides and handles better than Pleasure. So frozen on the Flyte. Thanks again for making me aware of the Dio seating since the test ride i took was only for 1.5 kms and back. Would have regretted the buy later on if not for you.

Mods: Could the title pls be changed to- Bought Kinetic-Sym Flyte!!

Regards,
Abhi
Old 5th May 2008, 16:32   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently read in the Bike magazine a 7 scooter shootout and they gave full marks to a Dio. If you like a big looking scooter then go for the Aviator.
Old 5th May 2008, 16:42   #14
BHPian

Nice choice and hope it will not disappoint you ! I too own a black flyte
Old 5th May 2008, 16:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Thanks everyone for the help and advice in this regard. The decision has been taken. Kinetic Sym Flyte it is. Have paid the amount to the dealer and am just back home. The delivery is in the evening. Chosen the Black color.
Wise decision considering your requirements... happy driving SYM ! cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks