Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2013, 04:18   #136
BHPian

Re: The best 4T oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
You have not posted the details of reconditioning done? If the pistons/ valves/ cylinder block, etc, were changed, then do not shift to synthetic oil until at least 1500-2000 kms.
Thanks Saket. All of it were changed by the previous owner except sprockets and con rod. I changed the sprockets. The odo says the bike has run for about 350kms after overhaul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Regarding the quantity, while draining and refill, a tad lesser quantity is needed, about 100 ml less than a fill after an engine rebuild. However, it is best to refer to the manual to see that how much quantity is needed while a refill. Else, fellow avenger owners will pour their help too.
Regards,
Saket
I do not have a manual. I guess when the oil is drained some of it gets stagnated in the oil cooler itself. So the oil mark increased drastically after I cranked the engine. There should be a way for doing this. I now understand that 1100ml oil needs to go in my engine.

Fellow Avenger owners... please help!
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:01   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The best 4T oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
All of it were changed by the previous owner except sprockets and con rod. I changed the sprockets. The odo says the bike has run for about 350kms after overhaul.

I do not have a manual. I guess when the oil is drained some of it gets stagnated in the oil cooler itself. So the oil mark increased drastically after I cranked the engine. There should be a way for doing this. I now understand that 1100ml oil needs to go in my engine.

Fellow Avenger owners... please help!
Hey Petrolhead!

Since your engine is new after the rebuild, stick to mineral oil for at least 1500-2000 kms. This will allow proper run-in. Shift to synthetics (if you wish) only after 2K kms.

The oil measure on the dip stick will show incorrect reading once you crank the engine. The best time to check oil is in the morning, after a night's rest to the bike. Ideally 4-5 hours at least. I am sure you would know the procedure, just to get the message across properly, park your bike on the centre stand for the night and take the reading on the dipstick in the morning, without cranking the engine.

Also, most bike manuals recommend NOT TO tighten the dipstick while taking the measurement. Just dip it in the sump and take the reading on the gauge. Fill/ drain oil as necessary. Hope that helps until some members having a copy of your bike manual post here.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 21:37   #138

Re: Oil change for Honda Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
oil change depends on the oil itself...i have found that shell lasts longer than castrol...and price also less....

put mobil synthetic and it will last for 10k kms....its best for unicon

I have heard from the company dealers of not to use synthetic oil for unicorn !!! is this true ?
Old 13th November 2013, 09:45   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun_b2 View Post
I have heard from the company dealers of not to use synthetic oil for unicorn !!! is this true ?
Yes, what you heard is true. For reason check out post no 7 by Sankar.
Old 13th November 2013, 11:39   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun_b2 View Post

I think honda has a 10w30 full synthetic oil for their bikes. I believe they use it for CBR . DO check with the authorized service center if it is ok to use full synthetic oil. I read in some other forum that using a synthetic oil is ok as long as its 10w30.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2013, 19:22   #141
Senior - BHPian

I went in for Shell Advance Ultra fully synthetic oil for my Unicorn in Feb. Have done a little over 1k till date since then. The engine is very smooth no doubt but I must admit that there is no significant difference from performance now and before.
Old 13th November 2013, 19:55   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
Hi Guys,

I own a Honda Unicorn sports bike and have done almost 5 K on ODO by now. Bike is due for the 4th servicing in 2nd week of January. In all 3 servicings earlier, I had changed engine oil.

Bike has clocked almost 2.5K KM after 3rd servicing. Do I need to change the oil in now? Would like to know from experts, after how many KM engine oil should be changed?

Cheers,
Amit.
The best oil for the Unicorn is the Shell AX5, or the AX7. But since the engine is still in the run in, I'd suggest you to use AX5 for a more 2k and then switch to AX7 semi-synthetic. Next you can consider is AGIP, very good oil.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 28th November 2013, 18:32   #143
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Best 4T Oil

Which Grade Engine Oil should be used for HH Karizma R (my brother purchased in Jun 2008)? The manual is lost.
Can I use 20W50 (Bajaj's Engine Oil) grade in it? Or should I stick to 10W30 (I guess HH recommends 10W30)?

EDIT:-
The bike would be driven sedately by my employee and engine oil would be changed every 3000Kms henceforth.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 28th November 2013 at 18:35.
Old 28th November 2013, 21:32   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Which Grade Engine Oil should be used for HH Karizma R (my brother purchased in Jun 2008)? The manual is lost.
Can I use 20W50 (Bajaj's Engine Oil) grade in it? Or should I stick to 10W30 (I guess HH recommends 10W30)?

EDIT:-
The bike would be driven sedately by my employee and engine oil would be changed every 3000Kms henceforth.

. I use Fully synthetic MOTUL these days( on a ZMR). I love my bikes/cars/cycles. I change the oil at a 2 month interval or 2k. For synthetic.

So you have a pizza joint or somethin like that at some Upmarket location?

If I was your brother, the owner of the bike and you are loaning to some nitwit who you think will ride sedately, are going to get (beep beep beep etc.) So what kind of work does this employee do?

Spare your bros bike, get the sedately driving employee a sedate two wheeler.
If he is young, buy him a cycle! Absolutley no oil/change required!
Old 29th November 2013, 01:17   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe the HH Karizma R recommends using SAE 10 W 30 SJ grade specifications that meets the requirements of JASO MA (MA1 or MA2. MA2 is better).

As it is air cooled and will likely be ridden in slow traffic, using a 15W-40 or 15W-50 oil should not cause a problem.
The 20W oils may be a bit too thick if the bike will be ridden in cool/cold weather.

It is important to use a motorcycle specific 4 stroke oil and rather than pay the high price for full synthetic oil
and with your scheduled oil change interval I would lean towards using a semi-synthetic oil.

Of course this is all just an opinion and worth every rupee it cost.

Mod Note: Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text as it leads to visual discomfort for readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 29th November 2013 at 07:59.
Old 29th November 2013, 07:36   #146
Senior - BHPian

The originally recommended oil for HH, long back when I bought my Splendor, was the 20W40 from IOC, irrespective of the location in India. Some places have pretty cold winters but still this oil worked fine. By the time the Karizma was released, they shifted to "one size fits all" Hero Honda 4T+ oil (10W30), again for all models. They still stick with it.

My personal recommendation would be Shell Helix AX 5 (20W40 mineral) or AX7 (10W40 Semi-synth).
Old 29th November 2013, 07:43   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
to "one size fits all" Hero Honda 4T+ oil (10W30), again for all models. They still stick with it.

My personal recommendation would be Shell Helix AX 5 (20W40 mineral) or AX7 (10W40 Semi-synth).
Sir, AX5 is available in 10W40 too so why use 20W40? Isnt it thicker than what is recommended? Of course the karizma has a newer engine with better tolerances and hence it should require thinner oil compared to a splendour.

AX3 I believe is the mineral oil. Both AX5 and 7 are synthetic blends with varying composition.

Last edited by audioholic : 29th November 2013 at 07:44.
Old 29th November 2013, 10:47   #148
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all for your suggestions.
I would try to find SAE 10W40 API SJ Engine Oil in my city. Lets see which brands are available. From the options available, I will decide which one to go for.

@yaejay..
I am confident about the riding/driving of the employee in question. He cares about the vehicle he is riding/driving.
Old 29th November 2013, 20:43   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post

@yaejay..
I am confident about the riding/driving of the employee in question. He cares about the vehicle he is riding/driving.

He is a rare breed indeed. Retain him!
Old 29th November 2013, 21:05   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Sir, AX5 is available in 10W40 too so why use 20W40?
No, it is not. See here:
http://www.shell.com/ind/products-se...gine-oils.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks