Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2008, 22:49   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
All SBK's have the same 10W-40 rating as well. When the weather gets really cold oil tends to lose its viscosity and becomes hard. In the same manner, when it gets really hot (along with engine heat) the oil tends to become thinner. The '40' in 10W-40 is the viscosity. So 10W-50 is thicker oil.

SBK manuals also have this graph that guides you to the grade according to weather.

The oil change intervals depend on the manner you ride and also how often you ride. Which bike do you ride?
I have an old bucket of rust Avenger 180 cheers: Bajaj build quality showing its wonders!

Most of my riding is inside the city obviously cant do anything more 50KM with so much traffic.

muneemmk
This is the best decision you have come to lol.
Old 5th September 2008, 00:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
That's not true. Manson is using Magnatec in his Thunderace since a year now. Its rating is 10W-40 which is what the manufacturers suggest by default for SBK's.
Hey does your thunderace have a wet clutch or dry plate system? castrol magnetic does create clutch slippage in pulsar.

@Gerogy, I forgot to mention I used full synthetic Mobil1 and shell advance is fully synthetic as well, read the change interval given by Mobil1 for that oil...you'll understand.The oil cost around RS650 a liter , the interval given by bike maker in India is for the regular oils. They do not give a interval for synthetic oil.

Last edited by dinar : 5th September 2008 at 00:05.
Old 5th September 2008, 00:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Sankar As far as i know Magnatec is a 40 grade oil the specs are 10w40,so is it ok to use it in the bullet as the specified grade for the bullet is 20w50.

How was your experience in using magnatec for the bullet? Which OIl would you reccomend for the BUllet.

Regards
Once upon a time Magnatec was available in 50 grade. Now it seems they have stopped the 50 grade.

In Bangalore i was quite satisfied with 40 grade oil on my Bullet, once i shifted to Kerala i have switched to normal 50 grade oil as the climate is hotter. But i'm using 10W30 oil in the clutch case (recommended grade by factory) unlike 50 or 40 which mechs normally use.

I don't recommend any oil for the Bullet. I have used syntheitc in it. But if you ask me Bullet needs proper scheduled oil changes rather than high tech oil. Any good 50 grade oil like Castrol/Elf should work fine. Really i didn't feel any great difference in Bullet's performance while using Syntetic and Mineral oil.
Old 5th September 2008, 03:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Hey does your thunderace have a wet clutch or dry plate system?
There are hardly any bikes that run dry clutches these days.
Old 5th September 2008, 09:41   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post

Do I need to change the oil?
I would recommend you to change it since the oil is SAE 10W40 which is not the recommended spec. for Pulsar.
Old 5th September 2008, 10:09   #51
BHPian

If its a p150, the specified rating is 20w40, but you can use 10w40 without any problems.
iirc, P180 and above have 20w50 rating for the oil. You can use any xW50 oil in that case.
Old 5th September 2008, 15:25   #52
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Plus its a __W50 oil so that makes it suitable only for the P180/200/220.
20W50 is beneficial in the high load, high temperature, stop-start usage that our air-cooled bikes have to suffer in Indian cities. The reason most manufacturers stick with W40 is cost (IMO).

I do not know where you get the idea that most of India has 'moderate' climate. The summer heat is terrible in MP, UP, Haryana, Gujrat, Rajasthan, NCR.......

Oil shouldn't be so complicated. Blah, just use the manufacturers / dealers' recommendation.

Old 5th September 2008, 20:44   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

I don't recommend any oil for the Bullet. I have used syntheitc in it. But if you ask me Bullet needs proper scheduled oil changes rather than high tech oil. Any good 50 grade oil like Castrol/Elf should work fine. Really i didn't feel any great difference in Bullet's performance while using Syntetic and Mineral oil.
Sankar thanks For the honest opinion,its hard to come by these days!!
I think i would stick to the regular oil changes and a decent 50 grade like
Catrol Gtx.

Regards
Old 6th September 2008, 08:42   #54
Senior - BHPian

For the iron bullets, from my understanding with some leading bullet guys (very exp guys who own workshops), its the freq of oil change - they prefer to use servo for the simple reason that it can be changed regularly anywhere. Else that gent used to have the simple Veedol HDB 50 (single grade, NOT multi grade).
Old 13th July 2009, 11:31   #55
BHPian

Is there anybody using motul 300V Fl synthetic for honda unicorn. How is the engine smoothness while using that oil. Is there any clutch slippage?
Old 25th September 2010, 21:01   #56
Senior - BHPian

Shell was offering a fully synthetic oil at a price of Rs.810 /Lt , the oil seems to be imported from Malaysia. The pricing seems to be quite steep hence decided to go in for the mineral blend ,Shell Advance S4, cost Rs 205/- @ Bangalore. Shell offered a free oil change which was quite well done, I was also told that the waste oil will be collected recycled by Shell, felt quite good that the waste oil will not pollute the environment.

I was using the normal Honda recommended oil till date, till now haven't felt much of a difference with respect to smoothness & noise levels, sincerely I feel its quite early to comment on the quality of oil.
Old 25th September 2010, 21:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Nothing comes close to MOTUL 300V FL when it comes to 4T oils for bikes.

It's imported from France, green in color and smells chewing gum.

Very smooth engine, gearbox and phenomenal clutch performance. Should last atleast 4k kms.
Old 25th September 2010, 22:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
decided to go in for the mineral blend ,Shell Advance S4, cost Rs 205/- @ Bangalore. Shell offered a free oil change which was quite well done, I was also told that the waste oil will be collected recycled by Shell, felt quite good that the waste oil will not pollute the environment.
I too changed to Shell advance for my Splendor last week. Basically wanted to try a 20W40 oil as opposed to the 10w30 used at Hero Honda workshops, as the bike has crossed 85k KM. They did the oil change very very nicely (how I wish the MASS guys also do it like that, without me sitting on their necks!) and the bike feels the same as of now. Will be able to tell any difference only after a few weeks.

After the oil change, a local mechanic showed me a 20W50 oil from Bajaj. It has to be purchases from Bajaj A.S.S and costs Rs 300 per litre. I may shift to that for the next change.
Old 26th September 2010, 00:51   #59
BHPian

Castrol Activ Xtra - 20W-50. 3-4k Max or 30 to 60 days Max. Alteast for lowtech HH splendor.
Old 26th September 2010, 07:55   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Castrol Activ Xtra - 20W-50. 3-4k Max or 30 to 60 days Max. Alteast for lowtech HH splendor.
Care to elaborate the highlighted part? I will not touch any oil that will not last at least 4 months (or 4k kms) with top-ups. And Castrol is well known for fakes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks