Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:25   #106
BHPian

Re: The best 4T oil

Here's some details on 4T Oil

Source & Credit: Valvoline Cummins Limited.
Attached Thumbnails
The Best 4T Oil-slide1-copy.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide3.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide4.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide5.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide6.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide7.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide8.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide9.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide10.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide11.jpg  

siddvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:29   #107
BHPian

Contd...

Source & Credit : Valvoline Cummins Limited
Attached Thumbnails
The Best 4T Oil-slide12.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide13.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide14.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide15.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide16.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide17.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide18.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide19.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide20.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide21.jpg  

siddvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 17:41   #108
BHPian

Contd...

Attached Thumbnails
The Best 4T Oil-slide22.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide23.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide24.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide26.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide27.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide28.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide29.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide30.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide31.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide32.jpg  

Old 3rd June 2013, 17:46   #109
BHPian

Contd...

Attached Thumbnails
The Best 4T Oil-slide34.jpg  

The Best 4T Oil-slide35.jpg  

siddvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 19:46   #110
Senior - BHPian

Was going through Shell India website to check for the nearest store and found this application called Shell Lube Match which points out the oil depending on the make and model of your ride.

http://lubematch.shell.com/landing.p...age=5&brand=60

Checked for Bajaj India - Discover 125 and the lube recommended was Shell Advance 4T Ultra 10W-40 (SM/MA2) / (SL/MA2)

However there was another option recommended for just Bajaj (non India option) - Discover 125 - Shell Advance 4T AX3 20W-40 (SG/MA)

The change interval mentioned here is 5000km max.

Guess the first option is the one available here.

Last edited by girishglg : 4th June 2013 at 19:50.
Old 4th June 2013, 19:56   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Was going through Shell India website to check for the nearest store and found this application called Shell Lube Match which points out the oil depending on the make and model of your ride.

http://lubematch.shell.com/landing.p...age=5&brand=60

Checked for Bajaj India - Discover 125 and the lube recommended was Shell Advance 4T Ultra 10W-40 (SM/MA2) / (SL/MA2)

However there was another option recommended for just Bajaj (non India option) - Discover 125 - Shell Advance 4T AX3 20W-40 (SG/MA)

The change interval mentioned here is 5000km max.

Guess the first option is the one available here.
Unfortunately, shell does not have any engine oil for motorcycles in the 20W50 grade or for that matter no XXW50 grade oil which is a must for Pulsar 180,200,220!

I am using Valvoline 20W50 for the past 2 refills and i am very happy with it! Frankly, wont go for anything else now. Cheap(relatively) and best for pulsar!
Old 4th June 2013, 20:18   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

I am using Valvoline 20W50 for the past 2 refills and i am very happy with it! Frankly, wont go for anything else now. Cheap(relatively) and best for pulsar!
Same case with me - Valvoline Premium 4T

I use it on my Honda Unicorn(Yes Yes, I know wrong grade and all those talks - It has 20W40 in manual, but engine should have worn with age and oil grade xxW50 will help stick to walls more - My science to use this oil)

I buy about 4 bottles each time because it is not available locally - Even after some shelf life this oil is good.
Good thermal stability! Engine wont feel strained after 200 km non stop highway + ghat ride.

Last edited by Sedate : 4th June 2013 at 20:19.
Old 5th June 2013, 11:37   #113
Senior - BHPian

My Ninja just celebrated her 3rd birthday last month and has run approx. 30,000 kms.

I switched to Motul Semi Synthetic 5100 15w50 at the 4000 kms mark and at 10,000 kms i switched to Motul Fully Synthetic 7100 20w50 oil.

I change the oil once every 5k kms.

I would highly recommend this oil since it performs really well. The engine feels smooth and gear shifts are butter smooth as well.

I was told by the service technician at Auto Service, Blore (where the bike is serviced) that the oil can last for another 2k kms but i change at 5k kms just to be safe.

I am however looking for something better.

Can anyone suggest a better motorcycle oil (wet clutch use only) in fully synthetic variant with 15w50 or 20w50 grade, confirming to JA SO MA/MA1/MA2 specs? Please do indicate the approx. price per liter as well.

Thanks.
Old 5th June 2013, 11:56   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
My Ninja just celebrated her 3rd birthday last month and has run approx. 30,000 kms.

I switched to Motul Semi Synthetic 5100 15w50 at the 4000 kms mark and at 10,000 kms i switched to Motul Fully Synthetic 7100 20w50 oil.

I change the oil once every 5k kms.

I would highly recommend this oil since it performs really well. The engine feels smooth and gear shifts are butter smooth as well.

I was told by the service technician at Auto Service, Blore (where the bike is serviced) that the oil can last for another 2k kms but i change at 5k kms just to be safe.

I am however looking for something better.

Can anyone suggest a better motorcycle oil (wet clutch use only) in fully synthetic variant with 15w50 or 20w50 grade, confirming to JA SO MA/MA1/MA2 specs? Please do indicate the approx. price per liter as well.

Thanks.
Aditya, only logical upgrade seems to be Motul 300V 15W50 double ester. I don't know if it will make a noticeable difference from the 7100 single ester. Otherwise there are not much options in fully synthetic in XXw50 grade that is BETTER than Motul 300v
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 14:06   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Checked for Bajaj India - Discover 125 and the lube recommended was Shell Advance 4T Ultra 10W-40. However there was another option recommended for just Bajaj (non India option) - Discover 125 - Shell Advance 4T AX3 20W-40.
I feel that since Discover has a wet-clutch, the best option would be to stick to 20W-40 as mentioned in the owner's manual. I refrained from using 10W-40 due to fear of clutch slipping because of the low viscosity number. Experts on the forum, please share your thoughts on this.
Old 5th June 2013, 14:57   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
I feel that since Discover has a wet-clutch, the best option would be to stick to 20W-40 as mentioned in the owner's manual. I refrained from using 10W-40 due to fear of clutch slipping because of the low viscosity number. Experts on the forum, please share your thoughts on this.
While i am no expert, but the 10 in the 10W40 is not the low viscosity. It is the cold weather rating of the oil at which it will still retain all its properties including the viscosity. So as long as you stick to the mfg. recommended or lower cold weather rating it should be fine. So 10W40 for a 20W40 recommendation should work fine.
abhinav.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 03:14   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

You are correct in saying the smaller number represents the cold oil condition.
In the case of a 20-40 oil, it means the cool/cold oil will not be thicker than a single grade 20 weight oil.
This in important during cold starts and conditions because it allows the oil to rapidly flow freely to the various parts to provide lubrication at those times.

I should mention that cold 20 weight oil is as thick or thicker ("more viscous" ) than hot 40 weight oil.

It should be noted that many of the newer motorcycles use their engine oil to lubricate the gears in the transmission as well as to provide lubrication to the engines moving parts.

The gears are often operating under highly loaded conditions with high sliding pressures between the gear teeth. These high pressures try to squeeze the oil film out of the way and the thinner the oil is, the more successful the pressures will be.
Put another way, heavier viscosity oils tend to cling to the surfaces better therefore they do a better job of preventing metal to metal contact.

IMO, if the factory that built the motorcycle recommends using a 20 weight minimum viscosity oil in the engine/transmission, it is wise to not use a oil that has a lower viscosity.

While on the subject, the 40 in a 20-40 weight oil represents the hot conditions and means the hot oil will not be thinner than hot 40 weight single viscosity oil.

This hot oil rating is important to assure the oil will maintain its protective cushioning between the moving parts like a single weight 40 weight oil even at high temperatures.

One might jump to the conclusion that using a heavier or thicker weight oil like 20-50 in place of the recommended 20-40 weight oil could be of some benefit but thicker oil takes more horsepower to pump and it creates more drag on the moving parts so unless the engine was designed to use it (like the Royal Enfield) it may reduce the performance of the motorcycle.

At least that's the way I was taught.
ArizonaJim is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 19:42   #118
Senior - BHPian

Got of oil change done for my Discover 125 at Shell Hosur Road bunk today.

Bought 1l of Shell Advance 4T Ultra 10W-40 (SL/MA2) for Rs.347

The oil change was done for free by the bunk staff who knew what they were doing.

Its early kms yet but on return the bike revved smoother overall compared to earlier.

Very satisfied overall that for the first time in all these years was sure of what oil really went in because really wonder if those authorized servicing guys really refill the oil or just top up evertime

The bunk personnel said that the oil will last for 3k kms however the website mentions 5k. Not sure which one to follow.

Another thing is that 1l was filled in but not sure if some more oil could go in since the oil window showed 3/4 full.
Old 10th June 2013, 20:24   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bunk personnel said that the oil will last for 3k kms however the website mentions 5k. Not sure which one to follow.
Well, ideally the 10W40 (AX7) from shell is a semi-synthetic blend. So it should last you around 3000-4000kms for sure. You can stick to 3500kms oil change if you are comfortable with it. On the RTR180 i stuck to 2500kms using Mineral oil from Motul. And you will very well realise the need for oil change with the coarseness of the engine and the hardness of the gear shifts. Dont stretch it far beyond this point once you start feeling this.

Quote:
Another thing is that 1l was filled in but not sure if some more oil could go in since the oil window showed 3/4 full.
Go as per the manual for this. If it says 1L then stick to it. Even on bikes with the oil dip stick, the oil level will always be in between the min-max indicator. So three-quarters in the oil window is fine as long as the manual says that the capacity is 1L.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 21:31   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Well, ideally the 10W40 (AX7) from shell is a semi-synthetic blend.
I think it is. I recently bought HX-7 for car and AX-7 for bike, though I have not yet changed the oil. The AX-7 pack says "synthetic technology" which I suppose means semi-synth! Why, they even gave a nice LED flash light with Shell logo when I bought the bike oil!

I always change the bike oil at 2.5k KM and the car oil once every 12 months. But then the car does just about 5K KM during that period, so it is ok.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed