Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2005, 03:11   #1
BHPian

The Best 4T Oil

Hi Guys,
What's the best engine oil available for 4-stroke bikes.
I hear Shell Advance is a better Oil compared to Castrol 4T or Power.

What engine oil do you guys use? What would you suggest I use? Also wants the oil change interval you guys maintain, is it like change the oil every 2000kms???
Please do give in your feedabck and reviews.

Thank you.
Akil
Old 12th February 2005, 13:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Oil and tyres, 2 things where people will never see eye to eye on and everyone has their favorites

I have tried different oils in my pulsar. Used Castrol Power 1 semi synthetic which was good if you do short stints on the bike of maximum 1 hour. Going 80kmph for 45 mins had the engine almost overheating.

So I switched over to Castrol GTX. It's ok, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Why don't you try Pennzoil. i heard that's pretty good as well. But if you really want to splurge, get Mobile 1. At about Rs.550 a litre, its 4.5 times the cost of regular oil. However, there are some who say it causes your clutch to slip. But then there are those who swear by it as well!

BTW, what bike do you have?
Old 12th February 2005, 13:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

mobil 1 rules .

about bikes ,u better use what the bike maker gives and mabbe use some engine oil additive like Nulon or bahrdahl or STPwith it.it is not recommended for wet clutch engines,but i used it regularly in my splendor and nothing of the clutch slipping that everyone had warned about ever happened.and my first clutch change was at 51k kms,and that too because i felt i had lasted enough.

i had also used esso fully synthetic oil for sometime ,but there was not much diffrence.
Old 12th February 2005, 19:17   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
mobil 1 rules .

about bikes ,u better use what the bike maker gives and mabbe use some engine oil additive like Nulon or bahrdahl or STPwith it.it is not recommended for wet clutch engines,but i used it regularly in my splendor and nothing of the clutch slipping that everyone had warned about ever happened.and my first clutch change was at 51k kms,and that too because i felt i had lasted enough.

i had also used esso fully synthetic oil for sometime ,but there was not much diffrence.
mobil 1 is too expensive for the type of bikes we have here in india.i think castrol is the one cheap and good
Old 13th February 2005, 00:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

How much does Castrol GTX and Pennzoil cost ?
Old 13th February 2005, 02:03   #6
Team-BHP Support

/Cost ranges from Rs.120 - 200 depending on the oil. Power 1 costs Rs.180 / litre. GTX costs Rs.132.50/litre.
Old 14th February 2005, 12:31   #7
BHPian

even am using castrol gtx for my 180 now..the bajaj guys use to put 20w40 oil in my bike and the oil simply drains out with in 2 weeks. they were using some cheap oil. so people, please be careful about the oil ur service guys use..i think castrol gtx is good ...rtech,have u tried anything better than gtx for ur 180???.
Old 14th February 2005, 13:30   #8
Team-BHP Support

Hey philip,

As I mentioned, I used Power 1 for 2 changes. However, it's not very good for prolonged high speed rides.

I don't feel like using Mobile 1 as I don't think the Pulsar deserves it
Old 14th February 2005, 13:44   #9
BHPian

so, i think GTX is the best...
Old 14th February 2005, 15:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

Iam using Fuchs Silkolene 20w50 for my 180DTSi & its very good
Old 15th February 2005, 19:32   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Oil and tyres, 2 things where people will never see eye to eye on and everyone has their favorites

I have tried different oils in my pulsar. Used Castrol Power 1 semi synthetic which was good if you do short stints on the bike of maximum 1 hour. Going 80kmph for 45 mins had the engine almost overheating.

So I switched over to Castrol GTX. It's ok, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Why don't you try Pennzoil. i heard that's pretty good as well. But if you really want to splurge, get Mobile 1. At about Rs.550 a litre, its 4.5 times the cost of regular oil. However, there are some who say it causes your clutch to slip. But then there are those who swear by it as well!

BTW, what bike do you have?
Thanks a lot for all your views guys. Rtech, I have a 2004 Karizma. The bike has done 6000kms, all of the kms covered have been long high speed drives. Untill now I have been using the oil put by the service guys, that is Hero Honda 4T. I'm yet to come across a Mobil outlet here, let alone getting Mobile1, if you do know of an outlet here, do let me know. The Honda oil has served well, no over heating at continuous speeds 90-110 km/hr.
Penzoil is available here. How good is Shell??

Last edited by Akkiben : 15th February 2005 at 19:40.
Old 15th February 2005, 22:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

hey akkiben,

there is no problem in sticking to the HH 4t oil.why do you want to change the brand.any particular reason?????
Old 16th February 2005, 00:37   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
hey akkiben,

there is no problem in sticking to the HH 4t oil.why do you want to change the brand.any particular reason?????
I was thinking that if I can switch over to some superior oil, I may get a slight improvement in overall performance but, that's not gonna happen right??? I know that. Only wanted to make sure I put in good oil, as the bike does a lot of high speed runs and performance is awesome I must say. Sustained high speed runs is a cake walk for this bike. Amazes me, I must say. I think I'll try shell for a change and see how good it is but, then again as you say HH 4T oil should be good, cause it has not posed any problems so far.

Another thing nobody answered here is, what's the oil change duration???? Every 2000kms???

Last edited by Akkiben : 16th February 2005 at 00:39.
Old 16th February 2005, 10:14   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another thing nobody answered here is, what's the oil change duration???? Every 2000kms???
Well, as you say you do a lot of long distance sonstant speed runs, so I would say you could safely change your oil every 3,500km or so.

However, there is never a fixed time period. You should check the condition of your oil atleast once a week. Check it's colour and its viscosity. If in doubt, change it.

For some great information on oil, readThe Chris Longhurst Oil Bible

Last edited by Rtech : 16th February 2005 at 10:15.
Old 15th December 2005, 15:28   #15
Max
BHPian

hi guys,

can anyone tell me where can I get mobil 1 oil in Bombay (preferably in thane, or mulund or chembur) for my car and bike ? any phone numbers will be highly appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks