Team-BHP - My lovely P150 thrashed! :-(
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   My lovely P150 thrashed! :-( (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/39386-my-lovely-p150-thrashed.html)

7th may 2008 - one of the worst days of my life.

We were a group of six friends. It was our coll fest on that day and we had been to a nearby restaurant for our supper. We were travelling in three vehicles - 1 Scooty Pep, 1 Activa and my P150. I was riding my friend's activa and he was riding my bike. I insisted on riding MY bike before leaving the restaurant, but he disagreed. I said fine and we started off. He took off with a pillion. I started a bit late, so I was left behind.

College is only 2-3 kms from that restaurant and the road has been newly laid. The road in question is the Uttarahalli-Kengeri main road. When I was nearing my college gate I saw an auto and a few people gathered around. Instantly I knew something had gone wrong. I parked the activa to the side of the road and went to see what had happened. The one who was riding my bike was standing and he was totally covered in sand, head to foot, but he was alright, apart from serious bruises on his hands, no fractures and nothing major. Same for pillion too.

But I couldn't see my bike! I looked towards the side and I was shocked to see my beloved bike in the gutter, completely covered in fine sand. I couldn't bear to see my bike in that state and rushed to it. With the help of a few people, we lifted the bike and propped it up on the main stand by the side of the road. I checked for any oil leaks first. Found none and tried to bring it to neutral. The gear lever just wouldn't budge, so I held the clutch and rotated the rear wheel. Then tried shifting gears and found neutral quite easily. I moved back to see the amount of damage and I was literally saddened to see my bike like that. The front H/L dome completely thrashed, front windshield broken, both the front forks were twisted and hence the handlebar was not straight. The mud-guard clamp was fouling with the front wheel and wheel just wouldn't move. The worst part - the lovely tank had pretty bad dents at two spots. Then I moved to the side. The side panels have lots of scratches and the rear right indicator is broken , and so is the front right indicator. The exhaust pipe pipe had scratches too.

With the help of a few friends the rider and the pillion were taken to the hospital for first aid and I went to find a mechanic. There was a Bajaj service station nearby and I explained to him what was needed. He gathered the required tools and accompanied me to the spot. HE removed the front mud-guard and the clamp which was fouling with the tyre. Tried starting the bike - both kickstart and electric start - but it just wouldn't start. Gave up for sometime and tried again. It started with some difficulty, but it did come to life. I was a bit relieved. I thanked the mechanic, he was a nice chap, did not charge me anything. Riding a bike with twisted handlebar and front forks ain't easy, but I managed to bring the bike home safely, a distance of about 5kms. I gave the bike a wash and wiped it clean. Now it looked much much better! :)

Later I wondered how the accident happend. I knew that he was riding the pretty fast, about 70kph, while taking that right hand curve in front of the college gate. He went too wide and there was fine sand on the edge of the road. The tyres lost grip the the bike fell to its right. The rider and the pillion have somehow got off the bike before it went sliding into the gutter. Learnt a very good lesson and will never lend my bike to anyone in future.

I took the bike to RV Bajaj today morning. The insurance guy was on leave and hence they could not give me an estimate of the costs. The service manager asked me to leave the bike there and come back tomorrow for the estimate. It was so hard to leave my bike over there. I wish I could stay with it the whole time. I glanced back many times at it while walking back from the service centre. I hope they can repair my bike soon and I hope it will be just like before.

I'll let the pictures do the talking now.
Parts damaged:
1. Right rear view mirror.
My lovely P150 thrashed! :-(-ssa41915-small.jpg

2. H/L dome and front fairing.
My lovely P150 thrashed! :-(-ssa41918-small.jpg

3. Twisted front forks and handlebar.
My lovely P150 thrashed! :-(-ssa41924-small.jpg

My lovely P150 thrashed! :-(-ssa41909-small.jpg

4. Front mud-guard.
My lovely P150 thrashed! :-(-ssa41922-small.jpg

5. Dents on the tank.
My lovely P150 thrashed! :-(-ssa41911-small.jpg

6. Side panels.
My lovely P150 thrashed! :-(-ssa41912-small.jpg

7. Exhaust end-pipe.
My lovely P150 thrashed! :-(-ssa41916-small.jpg

8. Broken Visor.
My lovely P150 thrashed! :-(-ssa41921-small.jpg

What I want to know is the parts for which the insurance company will pay 100% of the cost and the parts for which it will pay 50%, etc.

My bike is a black P150 DTSi UG2 - the one with the silver alloys and the analogue instruments. Can the headlight of the new pulsar be fitted onto my bike while retaining the analogue instrument cluster??

It would be helpful if anyone could put down the individual parts cost.

MODS: I am putting up this thread in the Motorbikes section, rather than the street experiences, since I will be posting the repair details and stuff.

See Labour would be 100% recovered from insurance.

For parts, there is different % at which plastic & metal parts depreciate. Fiber plastic parts depreciate faster at the max you will get 50% & around 80 to 90 % for metallic parts.

You can get the price list from any service center.

In any case I believ your friend would be paying for this right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 823364)

In any case I believ your friend would be paying for this right?

Well he did offer to pay but my dad asked me to not to accept it. It is enough that he had the gratitude to offer to get it repaired.

I like your friends gratitude.
But I like your dad' attitude more.

Hope your bike gets back on the roads fast and keeps the rubber side down all the time.

So how much the dealer quoted?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 823382)
I like your friends gratitude.
But I like your dad' attitude more.

Hope your bike gets back on the roads fast and keeps the rubber side down all the time.

Those lines are from some movie, right?? Yup I like my dad's attitude too.

Edit: Guys, one question. Is it required to file an FIR if no other vehicle is involved in the accident??

Thats sad hyper. Hope you come out of this soon.
If the pictures you posted are of the 'Thrashed' category,
then what would anyone call this -->
My lovely P150 thrashed! :-(-153.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyper123 (Post 823407)
Those lines are from some movie, right?? Yup I like my dad's attitude too.

Edit: Guys, one question. Is it required to file an FIR if no other vehicle is involved in the accident??

Not Unless someone dies of it or there any third party involved

No FIR neede for Private vehicles (i.e. privately owned not company \taxi)

If service center guy says so, be adamant & ask them to make you talk to the surveyor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary4gar (Post 823405)
So how much the dealer quoted?

I will be getting the estimate by tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 823421)
Thats sad hyper. Hope you come out of this soon.
If the pictures you posted are of the 'Thrashed' category,
then what would anyone call this -->

Oh my god, that's pretty bad. Can't even think of what the rider's state would be like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technocrat (Post 823427)
No FIR neede for Private vehicles (i.e. privately owned not company \taxi)

If service center guy says so, be adamant & ask them to make you talk to the surveyor.

Thank you.

Sorry to hear this,hyper.
I hope the bike gets fixed ASAP.Good that no one was seriously injured.

Umm, in the insurance claim form, will they accuse me of rash and negligent riding if I mention 'self-fall due to sand on the road' as the statement of how the accident occured?? If yes, is it safe to say that some animal came onto the road all of a sudden and I braked...?

Are you in JSS by any chance ? Which department ?

I can totally sympathise with you. I met with an accident abt 2 and a half years back and my bike was in pretty bad shape after the accident and it just lay at home for 4 months until my injuries healed and I was able to take it to the service centre. It's really sad seeimng your beloved bike in such a bad shape.

At least the good part is, it's a modern bike and parts are easily available and soon, your bike will look as good as new.

I am really glad none of your friends were injured.

I cant help you with the insurance because when my bike was damaged, I didnt claim insurance and just paid for the whole thing out of my pocket.

Sorry to hear about your bike,its good thats no one got hurt badly,and it wasn't fatal,I hope your bike is as good as new,I really liked your friends attitude,he is your true friend seems :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyper123 (Post 823461)
Umm, in the insurance claim form, will they accuse me of rash and negligent riding if I mention 'self-fall due to sand on the road' as the statement of how the accident occured?? If yes, is it safe to say that some animal came onto the road all of a sudden and I braked...?

Hyper so sad to see the bike in that state but thank god no one was injured.

Nah, they can't accuse you of rash & negligent driving whatever you mention of the above 2 that either you fell due to sand or a animal came into your way. My & 3 other cars met with an accident as a old man started crossing the road without realizing the traffic & the insurance guys just asked me to write how the accident happend, nothing more. So don't worry about this.

& wish you luck bro