Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2008, 12:21   #1
BHPian

Used Bullet for about 30k?

Do you know of any website that provides used bike values, in India? What year bike can I get for about 30k? Must be in decent condition, no mods. Dont mind spending more, 30k is just a baseline.

I recently acquired a 1996 Yezdi Roadking and really enjoy riding it. I am tempted to "pair" this with an old Enfield Bullet Standard. I owned a standard many years ago and can swear by the ride quality. These two will be a nice welcome committee for my arriving-soon Yamaha R6.

Thanks in advance for your replies
Old 14th May 2008, 14:24   #2
BHPian

Dude,

you in bangalore? give me a call @ 98452 68678
Old 14th May 2008, 14:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

@shapra Check out the site bikes4sale.in - Buy or Sell Old Used Second Hand Bikes in India
I am currently looking for a rx in mumbai and this kinda helped me get some details
Old 14th May 2008, 15:28   #4
BANNED

For 30K you'll get a decent STD350 and you won't have trouble buying one if you're in Blore.
Old 28th June 2009, 18:44   #5
BHPian

nee a bullet too ....

Hi Guys,

I am just activating an old thread ...

I am looking for a used Bullet std 350 in Bangalore ... Any info would be of great help. My budget is also around 30K. (I want to sell my 2006 Pulsar 150 and get a bullet.)

EDIT: Sorry for the typo in the title .. I am not able to edit it ..

Thanks and Regards,
Sam_Boy

Last edited by sam_boy : 28th June 2009 at 18:45. Reason: Typo error ....
Old 1st July 2009, 16:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

sam-boy you are in for a long and tiring search. My luck ran out in bangy searching for a Standard 350 and a Electra 4s. I was keen on the right side gear thingy and wasn't a big fan of the latest bullets excluding the standard 350 (no offense to any fellow owners).

All bikes we found were nowhere close to 30. The prices quoted were in the range of 40+ for bikes from the late 90's. Gave up my search here and finally picked up a 2003 Electra 4s from Hassan.
Old 2nd July 2009, 21:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
sam-boy you are in for a long and tiring search. My luck ran out in bangy searching for a Standard 350 and a Electra 4s. I was keen on the right side gear thingy and wasn't a big fan of the latest bullets excluding the standard 350 (no offense to any fellow owners).

All bikes we found were nowhere close to 30. The prices quoted were in the range of 40+ for bikes from the late 90's. Gave up my search here and finally picked up a 2003 Electra 4s from Hassan.
Hey Dude .. You just echoed my preference on Bullet ... I am also not a big fan of latest bullets .. I managed to find a 1992 bullet ( std 350) but it was heavily modified .. So did not like it .... I like the untouched look of the bullet... Let me try my luck !!!!!

Anyways thanks for the reply ....
Old 2nd July 2009, 22:00   #8
BHPian

Hello Guys...

I am going to check out a 1980 350cc STD bull for which the owner is asking 35k after negotiations ofcourse. Have test riden the bike more than a couple of times.

Technically the bike is in a great condition, however cosmetic work needs to be done.

Also, the right hand side casing is a old TB casing and not the original old STD casing. One of my friends who is a mech himself has done the alterations for better performance with the upgrades and is vouching for the machine.

Will post some pics soon. Till then would appreciate any inputs from the veterans.
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

@sam_boy: Try your luck in the orkut Royal Enfield communities, put in a word with Bullet mechanics in and around your area. I recently picked up a '97 STD500 through Mr. Anand of Teknik Motors. It isn't easy sourcing a good Bullet. It takes time and patience.

PM me if you need the contact no.s of some mechanics in Bangalore. I have contacted quite a few of them in my search for the bike.

Regards,
Shravan
Old 17th February 2011, 11:12   #10
BHPian

Re: Used Bullet for about 30k?

I recently came across a 1973 bullet for 50K, with original paint and parts. Should i go for it ? In general bullets produced during which year are the best ones to own..
I like one of the bullet with my friend, which has royal enfield etched on the left side crank case cover. I rerely see it on other bullets. What make is this engine ?
Old 17th February 2011, 13:06   #11
BHPian

go for it if you understand bullets and know the problems that it comes with especially ones from that era!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad:) View Post
In general bullets produced during which year are the best ones to own..
depends on what you intend to use it for

i would suggest the newer ones if you are looking for long hassle-free long rides
this one is more suited to be a collectors piece with occasional rides in the city..
Old 17th February 2011, 23:12   #12
BHPian

Bullets produced after 2002-04 are the best.
By this time quality control of RE was much better. It was in the process of over hauling its production line up for quality spares and parts.
i would advise you not to get carried away by the usual sales pitch of 'Heavy crank', 'does 20km/hr in 4th gear'. The newer the better. Period.
If you want your bullet to resemble the ones of the 60's and 70's it is possible.
Aftermarket parts are easily available which make it resemble that way.

Post some pictures of the bile along with some ownership history. We will be able to guide you better.
Old 17th February 2011, 23:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Agree to above. If you can find a electra from 2002-2004 then its the best in CI category as it came with CDI ignition and starts without a battery. Later came with TCI and their electrical department is not the best.
Old 16th May 2011, 23:23   #14

Requesting help with a used RE Bullet purchase.

Requesting help with a used RE Bullet purchase.
Hello Bhp'ians. A cousin of mine recently acquired a 1987 model bullet for about 41K. Do you think the price is OK? The bike is in good condition mechanically. There are some problematic areas though.

1) On closer inspection we have found bits of rust on the frame and the fuel tank, Even some parts like the housing which holds the air filter are rusted from the inside. The mechanic suggested a single coat paint job(black), for which he quoted 3K. Do you think that will prevent rust from spreading? We might also consider a full paint job(matte black) if its economically feasible, something around 5K-6K will do. When we asked the mech about this, he qouted us 15K and he said he has to strip the bike completely for a full paint job. So while putting it back again, he has to put in new parts.

2) There seems to be a problem with the exhaust note. There is very little or no thump when the bike is at low rpms. The thump becomes very much pronounced and loud at high rpms. Is it recommended to change the silencer?

3) The previous owner replaced the rear tyre with a very wide tyre. Pardon me, I do not have the exact tyre profile. But I'm guessing its a 15-16 incher and is really wide. The problem is, with a pillion onboard the rear tyre gets brushed with the rear mud guard. The mechanic has offered us an old OEM wheel and rim. He says the rim is cracked and he needs to weld it. How about raising the suspension or stiffening it.

Inputs are needed ASAP and thanks in advance for the help guys.
Old 17th May 2011, 19:26   #15
BHPian

Re: Requesting help with a used RE Bullet purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepy View Post
Hello Bhp'ians. A cousin of mine recently acquired a 1987 model bullet for about 41K. Do you think the price is OK? T...............
The price is fine for a 24 year old bike

Quote:
.......................some parts like the housing which holds the air filter are rusted from the inside. The mechanic suggested a single coat paint job(black), for which he quoted 3K. Do you think that will prevent rust from spreading? We might also consider a full paint job(matte black) if its economically feasible, something around 5K-6K will do. When we asked the mech about this, he qouted us 15K and........................
It is 24 year old bike, unless it has been stripped down and painted before you will need to do it as the mech says. Although i dont agree about the "new parts" that he will be putting in. Ask him what will be these new parts.
Wait for the rains to begin you will probably see rust in other places as well, then you can decide better.
If the fuel tank is rusted from inside i would suggest u get it repaired asap as there is a chance of rust particles clogging the carb or fuel lines.

Quote:
2) There seems to be a problem with the exhaust note. There is very little or no thump when the bike is at low rpms. The thump becomes very much pronounced and loud at high rpms. Is it recommended to change the silencer?
As long as the bike runs fine do not do anything. Dont try to fix something which is not broken.

Quote:
3) The previous owner replaced the rear tyre with a very wide tyre. Pardon me, I do not have the exact tyre profile. But I'm guessing its a 15-16 incher and is really wide. The problem is, with a pillion onboard the rear tyre gets brushed with the rear mud guard. The mechanic has offered us an old OEM wheel and rim. He says the rim is cracked and he needs to weld it. How about raising the suspension or stiffening it.
Stiffening the suspension will result in harsh ride. All bumps & potholes will be delieverd straight to the lower back. Go for a brand new tyre and rim or 2nd option is go for 18inch rim. You will get plently of tyre options in 18inch rim.

Most Viewed