Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2008, 19:01   #1

a new RD350 fan

hi,

ive never owned any bike, and i plan to buy one soon. none of the new bikes in the market appeal to me. ive fallen in love with the rd's looks. but then i must mention i haven't a clue about it. ive just heard from people its the best thing ever.

can u shed some light on the rd for me? like why are all of them rebuilt?...

im not a speed maniac...i treat whatever bike i ride with respect...never abuse them....but then i do let loose too....

i dont mind spending money on a rd rather than a new 150cc bike....but i just want it to be genuine...and not get ripped off. will regular maintenance keep an rd on the road without too many problems? im the kinda person who likes the bike clean and as close to original as possible.....

is rd the right bike for someone like me?...
aditya

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th May 2008 at 06:57.
Old 15th May 2008, 20:53   #2
BHPian

U r opening a super big topic, search the forum, also u can check our xbhp and rddreamsn forums and you will get enough info.

Just a crux:
RD is an awesome bike, the sheer power thrills, its a classic 2 stoke, but maintaining a RD is pocked heavy an d finding spares is equally troiblesome...have spent around a 90K on my RD till now.

So my 2 cents, not for starting until and unless u have the passion, time, and money to find one and then maintain it.
Old 15th May 2008, 21:57   #3
Team-BHP Support

First bike RD? Wait for lil more and pick a R 15 you will not regret it.
Old 15th May 2008, 23:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dont even think about a RD. Buy one of the pulsars or a karizma and relax.RD was and is the best bike india has ever seen till now.But then again its not for everyone.Talk to people who own one and listen to what they have to say.I ve had one for about 6 months now and i have to tell you its like your wife.You got to give it alot of time,money and most of all patience.
Old 16th May 2008, 04:58   #5

RD 350 as your first bike?? You must be nuts. Dont even think about it. Btw, Did you know that the most number of people ever to have assidents/die on an RD used to be Parsis??
Old 16th May 2008, 10:42   #6
BHPian

When i wanted to buy my first RD, most people I knew said no. I went ahead and bought one anyway (the one in my garage pics is my second RD). But then, I had waited 8 long years before I got my first one.

It's one thing owning an RD, but its a whole different game to keep the engine running and make it handle the way it should.

If you are just fishing for information on the net about the bike, avoid it like the plauge. But if you want one bad enough, go ahead and do it. You will enjoy it no matter what.
Old 16th May 2008, 10:49   #7
BHPian

The most of the rd's are rebuilt coz it would be rebored number of times. you have see the twin heads of the rd's to believe, procuring a new bore is a pain everywhere. there is lack of spares available. if you have patience time and moolah to spend most of your free time at mechanics place then please go ahead.

Last edited by praJEEP : 16th May 2008 at 10:52.
Old 16th May 2008, 11:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trooper View Post
When i wanted to buy my first RD, most people I knew said no. I went ahead and bought one anyway (the one in my garage pics is my second RD). But then, I had waited 8 long years before I got my first one.
Same story here, still have my RD, don't think I'll ever part with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trooper View Post
It's one thing owning an RD, but its a whole different game to keep the engine running and make it handle the way it should.

If you are just fishing for information on the net about the bike, avoid it like the plauge. But if you want one bad enough, go ahead and do it. You will enjoy it no matter what.
I agree. Every word of it.

Test rides will make you want to own one. But ownership of this bike is another thing all together. Take a practical approach. Speak to someone in your city who has an RD and ask him for his honest/real ownership experience. Quiz him enough about availability/cost of spares, service costs and then only make your decision.

My view: This bike is a legend world wide and in India, there hasn't been another bike to match the RD till date. IMO, I rate it next only to owning a superbike. Having said that, IMO the superbikes are quite refined and don't deliver the kind of raw power the RD does. The sound and feel is simply out of the world. Regarding spares, you get reproduction parts of decent quality, so it is not difficult to keep an RD running. But it can be very challenging if you are fussed about original spares (I am). Most importantly, don't buy this as your only bike/primary means of transport. If you can put in time and effort and take care of the RD well enough, the RD will never cease to thrill you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43
Btw, Did you know that the most number of people ever to have assidents/die on an RD used to be Parsis??
Really? Why? Any stats to back this?

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 16th May 2008 at 11:25.
Old 16th May 2008, 12:11   #9
BHPian

Dont know the whole Accident thing but when the RD LC reached the States a hell lot of accidents took place and the Americans named her "Racing Death" or "Race Death"
Old 16th May 2008, 17:28   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdreams View Post
Dont know the whole Accident thing but when the RD LC reached the States a hell lot of accidents took place and the Americans named her "Racing Death" or "Race Death"
Sohail, even I have heard stories about many accidents on this bike in India. I have even heard(rumour I am sure) of an hospital ward named Yamaha Ward because of the number of accidents on them. But first time I am hearing about most of them being Bavas. So, I asked.
Old 16th May 2008, 20:15   #11
BHPian

An RD as your first bike!!That's not a better idea.

If you are interested in performance bikes its better you check out for a pulsar200 or wait for R15.moreover like everyone said maintaining RD is like bringing up a child,you have to spend a lot of time and journeys for spares.

If you are too much hooked to looks of yamaha and need to have one try a RX 100/135.
Old 17th May 2008, 09:57   #12
BHPian

If you can do your own wrenching and have a good amount of money to bring her back to former glory, then you can go ahead.

If you will depend on mechanic to maintain her and Don't have too much time and money getting into properly restoring it, I will say that keep away.

If you plan to go ahead. Keep a bike + 50k budget for restoring/parts/upgrades.
Old 18th May 2008, 13:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

@mattuji - You already got lots of advice, I will give you mine.

Do not buy the RD as your first and only bike. It will bring you more grief than joy. Trooper did buy an RD as his first bike, but I don't think he has it anymore.

Jaggu gave you the best advice here. Buy the R15, whenever it comes, keep on the lookout for an RD, if you are really passionate. Get a ride on a well maintained one, if you can. Meanwhile, talk to a few owners and get to know firsthand what it takes to keep an RD running. Spares are hard to find(there is a big NEXUS running the whole thing) - and even if you do, expect to pay through your nose for even the most mundane items like oil seals, clutch plates etc.

RD's are rebuilt because - it is a performance bike - it has been around for 20+ years now. Most bikes would have done a lot of km's and will need work. A lot of bikes would have passed through ignorant owners/mechs leading to jugaad work done on the bike, which has to be undone, if you really care for the bike.

And yes, forget about a totally stock bike. The few that are out there, the owners are not going to sell.

Last edited by kuttapan : 18th May 2008 at 13:17.
Old 19th May 2008, 01:45   #14

Thanx for all the advice guys. I'll still stay on the lookout for an rd, maybe not as a first bike now though......
Old 19th May 2008, 17:06   #15
BHPian

Very wise.
Look for primary means of transport first. Keep the RD as an occasional fun option.
Meantime, start reading on RD basics and internals. The Haynes Manual is a very good starting point, a must for every RD rider worth his salt.
Haynes Repair Manuals

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks