Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2009, 21:24   #226

upgrade from 4 speed to 5 speed gear box

hi guys,
i am new to bike modification and this community, please advise me on my modification.

I have a 4 speed RX100 91 model.. i am looking to upgrade it to a 5 speed.. can anyone please advise me which is the best place in Mumbai to do it?

i have completely redone the bike to make it as good as new... the major things i did are:

ported the engine for higher mid-range performance..
put new bearings for the engine and clutch
K&N air filter
rear suspension of apache RTR 160
increaed the size of the front fork and put a dirt mudguard(but im thinking of going back to a stock type regular one)
entiser speedo meter.
replaced many parts which were rusted(hardly any old parts left of the original bike)...
painted it red on the tank and pannel(will post a pic)

the bike easily reaches the early 100's.. but takes time to touch 110kmph..

please advise me on the feasibility of upgrading it to 5 speed and any good places in mumbai to get it done...
Old 4th January 2009, 16:49   #227
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks ArmourOfGod.

vikrut - The cafe seats for the Enfield and the RX was fabricated by us. Only the foam part was done by Imran (Andheri East). I'll check if I have his number and PM it to you.
My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!-seats.jpg

Anyways some more updates on the RX. We tried using an S-shaped rod for the rear brakes. But the rod was too thin and would bend while applying the brakes. So the rear brakes are still an issue now.

My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!-brakes.jpg
Old 11th January 2009, 02:56   #228
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

After 8 hours of sitting at Khalil Auto, the rear brakes have been fixed. There isnt much play in the lever but the brakes work fine. There was also some problem with the main stand alignment, it used to touch the tyres. This has been sorted out too.
My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!-1.jpg

And while the work was being done, we had a look around his garage.

A Vijai Super lying around unused. The scooter looked really good. We were actually thinking of picking this up if it was available for around 3-4K. But it seems the owner is expecting 15k for it. Lets see if he comes down to a decent price, this would be our next project (a restoration one.... not a CRP).
My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!-3.jpg

A cruiser WIP
My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!-2.jpg
Old 11th January 2009, 03:44   #229
Senior - BHPian

Saw you guys riding by Juhu circle at around 2 am.
Old 12th January 2009, 00:08   #230
BHPian

The YCR is total fun to ride, last night we had a Winter Cafe Ride to town. I was riding the YCR till Bandra and with the rear brakes done, it was fun pulling the bike. The sound of the proton exhaust was mind blowing. You'll might get rest of it from Gordon.
Old 12th January 2009, 00:25   #231
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The ride was fun although very uncomfortable for the RX-rider. We had to exchange bikes a couple of times since it wasnt possible for one person to ride the bike all the way and back. Until recently, we never went above 30-40 because there were no brakes. But yesterday, we could touch decent speeds confident that we had the means to stop the bike. Yes, and this time the RX made it to town without a single breakdown. Although the RX-riders broke down after 15-20 mins of riding, the bike held its own.

Straight6 - Yes, that was us. We were on our way back then. RX, Enfield, CBZ and a Pulsar. Initially we had the red ECR and another white Enfield but plans changed.
Old 12th January 2009, 01:19   #232
Senior - BHPian

And almost crashed into the Getz turning right at the signal.
Old 12th January 2009, 01:38   #233
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Lol, yes. So you saw that. The Getz guy suddenly cut across the road. Two bikes almost crashed into the Getz...
Old 12th January 2009, 12:02   #234
Senior - BHPian

@ v12.. please keep me updated when your rearsets are done .. am also interested
Old 14th January 2009, 13:26   #235
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi chiragh_bir, the rearsets are already ready.

We're planning to chrome the Proton silencer along with the bend pipe. Anyone knows of a good chrome plating guy. I know of one in Jogeshwari (who worked on my Bullet) but he's expensive.
Old 14th January 2009, 13:32   #236
Senior - BHPian

please post some pics..

how much did it cost in total?

instead of chrome plating go for VHT exhaust paint , no issues upto 800 degrees
Old 27th January 2009, 00:46   #237
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Got some more work done on the bike today. Fixed the front number plates and the fork boots. The rear number plate has also been mounted. Here's a pic of it. Will post better pics later.
Attached Thumbnails
My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!-rx.jpg  

Old 28th January 2009, 09:39   #238
Senior - BHPian

side pose of rear set please
Old 20th June 2009, 19:29   #239
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are the updated pics of the bike with the rear plates fixed. However they loook quite big compared to the bikes tiny rear profile. Also one number plate fell off and the other came off and got stuck up in the chain and is bent. So I'm looking at having the registration number stuck on the cowl. This will give a very uncluttered look at the rear. What do you suggest guys? What font should I use?

My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!-rx.jpg

A few more updates on the bike since last posted.

- The bike is hardly being used since it is VERY uncomfortable in traffic and long rides. It takes 3 people to ride the bike to town. But even for those few minutes of losing our comfort, its really fun to ride it.

- The brakes are worse than useless. The front brakes work very well, but the rear doesnt work at all. Even though you depress the pedal, they wont work. Need to take it back to Khalil to get it sorted.

- Major update : The tank which is the major attraction of the bike has been dented a bit. This because of an idiot who parked his bike CLOSE to mine and I lost my balance while removing it out. Anyways its repairable and should be fixed very soon.

Chiragh,
Sorry for the delay. Heres a side view of the rear-sets.
My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!-rx1.jpg
Old 30th August 2009, 22:33   #240
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

A new project is off to a start with this Cafe Racer. A project to get it back to stock / original condition. As you may have read, the bike is a pain to ride and is lying around without anyone using it. Whats the point of having a bike and not being able to ride it? So in a couple of weeks, the bike is going to go stock (handlebars, tank, seat, lights, indicators etc etc). Time to think of a good color too - black, silver, red, gray - definitely not white this time.

Lets see will post details of the "Reverse" project once I manage to sell the kit and buy original stuff.

Most Viewed