Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2008, 21:35   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

My Yamaha RX100 Cafe Racer modification thread! Dec 09 - back to stock!

Hi guys, as you may know that the ECR project has been completed and its now time to start a new project. Having worked on the Machismo for atleast a year, we are now planning to work on a Yamaha RX100. We have already checked out a few RX100's and may finalise one this week. We were actually planning on another Enfield, but looking at our budget, we were not getting a 'right-brake' (or rather wrong, in enfield terms) bike. We were also looking at the RD350, but folks at home would kick me out if I even mentioned the words R and D. So that ruled out the RD350. There was no way we could look at other 4-stroke bikes since none have the cult status as any of these 3bikes. Hence the RX100.

Here are some of the prices quoted for the RX100 :
  1. 1989 RX100, single owner, silver color, all original parts, decent condition - Rs. 12,000
  2. 1994 RX100 - 2 owners, black color, parts missing and existing ones rattling, engine noise - Rs 11,000
  3. 1991 RX100 - This takes the cake. 5 owners, lots of parts missing and engine noise, pathetic condition - Rs (let it be, i'll keep it for the jokes thread)
There are somethings which I would like to know before we actually start with the work. I would also appreciate if someone could help us with the prices and availabilities of certain spares. Till everything is ready to be fitted onto the bike, the bike will be completely stock.

Unlike the ECR project, which was not planned properly and led to a lot of delay and changes, this one is gonna be planned first and then executed. Hence there may not be a pictorial progress in this thread. Maybe just the stock bike and then the final product. The design and the paint job have been finalised.

The things that we are looking at are listed below. Appreciate your responses if these are possible or not and what are the costs involved.

Alloy wheels : How much would 2nd hand Pulsar alloys - 17-in cost? or any 5-spoke 17-in alloys for that matter? Would these directly fit onto an RX100. If not, what modifications are required?
CBZ swingarm - I need to put a 100 or a 110 size rear tyre. Is it possible to mount it on the existing RX swingarm? Or do i need to change to a CBZ swingarm?
Front mudguard : How much does an original front RX-100 mudguard cost?
Proton silencer : Where and for how much will I get a Proton silencer for? I am looking for a good performance silencer. Can anyone advise on price and availability?

Will come up with more queries once we get the bike and start with the mods. Thanks in advance.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2008, 23:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
  1. 1989 RX100, single owner, silver color, all original parts, decent condition - Rs. 12,000
  2. 1994 RX100 - 2 owners, black color, parts missing and existing ones rattling, engine noise - Rs 11,000
  3. 1991 RX100 - This takes the cake. 5 owners, lots of parts missing and engine noise, pathetic condition - Rs (let it be, i'll keep it for the jokes thread)
Alloy wheels : How much would 2nd hand Pulsar alloys - 17-in cost? or any 5-spoke 17-in alloys for that matter? Would these directly fit onto an RX100. If not, what modifications are required?
CBZ swingarm - I need to put a 100 or a 110 size rear tyre. Is it possible to mount it on the existing RX swingarm? Or do i need to change to a CBZ swingarm?
Proton silencer : Where and for how much will I get a Proton silencer for? I am looking for a good performance silencer. Can anyone advise on price and availability?

Will come up with more queries once we get the bike and start with the mods. Thanks in advance.
yes i know what kinda price the last one would be like... its just that you sell it and then you put some money and still you wont be able to buy a decent geared bicycle ... hehehe

Alloy wheels : you can buy brand new for 3k gandhies they are rado prado thing i have the same on my rx 100 they are good but bit heavy but they are still good....
CBZ swingarm - You can go for the CBZ swing arm i used it but the wheel base is toolong the handelling is effected it handels some thing like a bullet.. so i went back to the normal swing arm and have a Duro 100/90 tube less on it the only thing that i needed to remove was the Chain guard... and i am sure you would be removig that any ways...

Front mudguard : 300 gandhies local made of good quality and 550 gandhies for a genuine one from the showroom these are delhi prices...

Proton silencer : i have never used the chambers people say that they aint any good... i know some one in bombay he would be able to get a real good one done for you... depends on the setup that you carry stock or ported... PM me for details and other wise the protons should be around 2k Gandies...

Any ways best of luck i would be going through your thread on a lot of forums so expect same answers.. hehehe
Old 19th May 2008, 00:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:

The things that we are looking at are listed below. Appreciate your responses if these are possible or not and what are the costs involved.

the pulsar wheels can be fitted. The correct thing to do would be to use the pulsar lower sliders. the cheaper alternative would be to mount weld the caliper mount onto the fork.

If you are looking for a box section swingarm, I hear the TVS victors swing arm is a good fit.

Unless you are particular on a chrome mudgaurd, the RXZs plastic mudgaurd is a straight fit and provides better fork bracing.

expansion chambers are a very dicey topic. to each his own, and the faith in his tuner. so you will get various recommendations. this is something best left to you. there are other alternatives to the Proton chambers too. Chambers sell anywhere from 1000 bucks upwards and can go pretty high depending on who's making it.
you just can put a price on a good chamber.

Last edited by the_trooper : 19th May 2008 at 00:09.
Old 19th May 2008, 02:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

yes as THE TROOPER mentioned the tvs victor swing arm is a direct fit... but the wheel need to be fitted with ne fabricated stuff.... i am sorry not to tech with the words in english...

Note from Mod : Please take the time to type out your posts in full words as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid the use of SMS language (any1 = anyone, dat = that, etc), and please use proper punctuation and...not...type...like...this.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th May 2008 at 02:48. Reason: please see note in post.
desideep is online now   Received Infraction
Old 19th May 2008, 09:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trooper View Post
you just can put a price on a good chamber.
I'm sorry. Thought I'd edited it. That line should read:
"You just cannot put a price on a good chamber (exhaust) "
Old 19th May 2008, 09:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:

V-12 firstly from what you have listed, i just want to ask what do you internd to do with this bike as a final product i.e will it be just a good looking bike or you want performance too from it.

Regarding your queries i will list down my say on them.

I would suggest its better to do for a RXG 135 rather than a RX-100, it gives you much flexibility in terms of upgrading, better engine, better spark strength due to 12v coils.

Alloy Wheels - They are pretty cheap these days, from local made to the ones which are used on pulsars. I would recommend if you building this as a performance bike with good looks better to go for allumunium rims rather than alloys.

CBZ Swingarm - I am not sure whether this fits easily or not, as there are very few swingarms which actually fit or gel with RX design, i think fazer one is used by most of the ones who would want to upgrade to another swingarm, or better if you really want go for a mono shock aswell if its a show bike.
I do not understand why would you want to fit such a bigger tyre on this small bike, even if you do plan to fit let me assure the performace will drop drastically to say the least and i am not sure how it will handle.

Front Mudguard - You can use the RXZ platic mudguards, i have been using it on my RX and it fits perfect. You also get the flexibilty of getting the mudguard painted with the bike designs unline with chrome mudguards.

Proton Silencers - They arent good to say the least, its better to go for customized chambers as per what you bike is going to be build as. You would get better results from them rather than from universal chambers.

I would just like to add that dont take any of my comments seriously (which are against your opinion), its just that for me RX is a performance bike with good looks and thats what i have done to mine.
Old 19th May 2008, 11:29   #7
BHPian

Wow another project, Why not a RX 135 5 speed ? instead of RX 100.
Old 19th May 2008, 11:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:

1)Alloy wheels : How much would 2nd hand Pulsar alloys - 17-in cost? or any 5-spoke 17-in alloys for that matter? Would these directly fit onto an RX100. If not, what modifications are required?

2)CBZ swingarm - I need to put a 100 or a 110 size rear tyre. Is it possible to mount it on the existing RX swingarm? Or do i need to change to a CBZ swingarm?
3)Front mudguard : How much does an original front RX-100 mudguard cost?
4)Proton silencer : Where and for how much will I get a Proton silencer for? I am looking for a good performance silencer. Can anyone advise on price and availability?

1) Are you really that keen on fitting alloys on an RX ??. Instead why don't ya try the Yezdi rear & front tyre and rim..it gives the bike amazing handling and breaking.

2) Not reqd to change if u go with the above !!

3) OEM at Rs/- 550

4) When it comes to chambers make sure u customise it for your bike. I know quiet a lot of places in Palaghat and coimbatore where they customise and built if for bikes..

You can also think of fitting the RD's petrol tank on the Rx they look good as well !!
Old 19th May 2008, 11:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good one V12. I am facing the similar dilema in looking for an RX100. I got a couple of numbers from bikes4sale.in. I ended up looking at a bike which was a 2nd owner(infact the 3rd owner but the guy didnt get it transferred to his name). This bike was bad and rusted on the frames and silencer. The bike didnt have stock seats and lots of work was pending. To take the cream of our meeting the bike didnt have fuel and we pushed it to the bunk and Lo Behold it doesnt start. SO left the owner there and came back disappointed.
One thing i noticed on my trip to mahabaleshwar was that there were many really well maintained RX100's. See if you can get one from there.
Could you give me some source here?
Also best of luck for your build. Will be watching this closely.

One thing i would like to add is Rx100 looks better wit spokes rather than alloys.
Old 19th May 2008, 17:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Dude, If you are looking to spend so much, better buy the RX135 4 speed OR spend a little more and get a 5speeder version.
Same Genes/looks but a Better bike in each and every respect.

Quote:
Alloys wheels:- Unless you put in some decent miles on an RX with 17" front, don't do that. Always check if the particular thing will suit your riding style and type of feedback you expect, especially after riding the 19" wheels bullet.

Swingarm:- I'm guessing the Stock swingarm will accomodate an MRF ZapperQ 100/90R18 rear easily.

Proton silencer:- AVOID!

In any case, Your first priorities should be to bring bike back to stock performance levels.
Then start working on getting better ignition, Air filter, better oil, bigger jets, Learning how to jet it right.
Expansion chamber comes last.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 19th May 2008 at 17:24.
Old 19th May 2008, 19:12   #11
BHPian

17" become too small for a bike that's already quite low.

If i had the means and had to mix&match, maybe i would have chosen a 18" front with a 17" rear wheel with 100/90x17" tyre.

I am personally not very fond of 100/90x18 on the rear of any 100cc commuter- plus the rear wheel well should be accomodating in an event of full compression of the rear shocks.
The max i would go for a stock RX is a 3.25" or 3.5"x18 or 90/90x18 tyre like the Fiero F2 special tyre from TVS.

The heavy, local "alloy" wheels just defeat the purpose of having an "alloy" wheel if it ain't lighter and stronger.
But some get it for the looks.
Unless one if going for Disc brakes, the drum on the local alloy wheel is not that great and the braking can be weaker than stock oem drums.

Which mudguard are you looking at, the chrome one or the RXZ fibre muguard that is a standard fit on RX100?

If you can geta genuine, stage-2 proton for the RX-100, you might notice a slight improvement depdending upon the state of your engine.
But make sure the bike is initially in perfect stock condition before you begin any engine/exhaust mods.
Old 19th May 2008, 22:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

My views:

1. Try as much to stick to the stock 18" rims. See if you can get wider rubber. I had 3.25x16 at one time on my RX. We didnt have as many wider options at that time. Local Alloys can be heavy and doesnt serve the purpose.

2. I have seen CBZ swingarm on a RXG in chennai. So no doubt, it is possible. You will need a good mech to fix it. Also note, handling will change, so be prepared.

3. Original RX mudguards are metal. You can also look at fiber options. Wont cost you much.

4. Lastly on the expansion chamber, most Protons sold in the local market are not genuine. Just labled cans. The brand name has been tarnished beyond repair. I would strongly suggest a custom made one for better performance. Its not rocket science to make one.

However, if you still want a genuine proton, PM me. I know the manufacturer personally.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 19th May 2008 at 22:15.
Old 20th May 2008, 08:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKeINSTEIN View Post
The heavy, local "alloy" wheels just defeat the purpose of having an "alloy" wheel if it ain't lighter and stronger.
But some get it for the looks.
Unless one if going for Disc brakes, the drum on the local alloy wheel is not that great and the braking can be weaker than stock oem drums.
All that is needed is a visit to the local junkyard and picking up the front end from a crashed Pulsar. Dirt cheap, Direct bolt on and works very good.
Get basic cycle parts and mechanical bits finished first. Cosmetics come at last when you still have cash left over after sorting out everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Its not rocket science to make one.
Yet, sadly, we still don't get well made ones unless you know a very good "tuner" who will have all the latest softwares and Simulators for the purpose.
And come to think of it, How many such guys can you count? Probably on your fingers, in a country of 100crore+ population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
However, if you still want a genuine proton, PM me. I know the manufacturer personally.
Ah nice!.
Ask them if there is difference in the chambers they manufacture for the RX135 4 speed and RX135 5speed. Last time I checked, they seemed identical. And some retards were using same "chambers" on their RD's.
Old 20th May 2008, 15:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

What si going to be the final output of this project? Is it gona be a dirt bike/a dual purpose/roadster/ etc etc.. Almost all sorts of mods possible has been done on RXes.
Old 20th May 2008, 19:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
Ask them if there is difference in the chambers they manufacture for the RX135 4 speed and RX135 5speed. Last time I checked, they seemed identical. And some retards were using same "chambers" on their RD's.
Yes, The reason why this happens is people buying expansion chambers are ignorant of the differences. Most users I know havent heard of the 3 types normally available. The manufacturers start to ride on that wave and create a single fit all model which defeats the purpose. I got mine custom made at cochin from a guy who tuned local race bikes.

Tectrac of Chennai makes custom ones for RX and RD. Seen the ones for 4 strokes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks