Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2008, 23:57   #1

K & N Air Filter for RX 135

Hey wats up guys? im from Bangalore.
I have a 2004, 4 speed RX 135. it is in very good condition and i am very proud of it.
i was thinking of installing a K&N air filter for the bike. i dont have any specific reason but i though i will just go for it. i went to the official dealer in Bangalore and he gave me a couple of models. RC 1100 and RC 1200. it will cost me Rs 1700.

which model would you guys think would be the best? i have no idea about it and i would apreciate if all of you gave me good advice.
what exactly will i get out of the bike because of the air filter?

which dealer in Bangalore will be good to get the filter installed? (for Bangalore guys, i have Power Crest, Malleshwaram in mind. is he a good choice?

it will be great if you guys help me with this!
cheers!

Gautam.
Old 22nd May 2008, 06:44   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamsnn View Post
i have no idea about it and i would apreciate if all of you gave me good advice.
In that case, the most sane advice is to skip K&N totally. Conditions of acute pollution, dirt etc. that exist in India demand a Foam filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamsnn View Post
what exactly will i get out of the bike because of the air filter?
Bike breathes better. Performs better. But you need to increase your jetting and as a result, mileage goes down.
Old 22nd May 2008, 09:53   #3
BHPian

Firstly if your bike is running smooth and good, why do you want to move to a different filter altogether. If its for performance, K&N wont help you for that matter. If you are really serious on upgrading to another filter, i would suggest install UNI filters, its a foam based filter which is best suited for performance. As scary suggested you would need to upjet and the milege will drop in that respect.
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
If you are really serious on upgrading to another filter, i would suggest install UNI filters, its a foam based filter which is best suited for performance.
Wise suggestion.
Why Foam is Better
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:26   #5
BHPian

putting on a K&N or foam filter will not give you better performance unless you upjet your carb. Finding the right jet sizes will be a torture. You would have to spend a lot of time in jetting for various throttle positions. If you can afford time and effort on these, K&N or foam is a go..
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Heard UNI was better for 2 strokes.
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

I agree with JK I have heard uni to be better for the Yamaha Two strokes
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:43   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Where to purchase a UNI, which model do we require for RX 135 4 speed should we purchase through online, guyz any dealers in bangalore please help.

Last edited by praJEEP : 22nd May 2008 at 15:44.
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:45   #9

Stick to Stock for a daily runner

Hey There,

If your bike is your one and only daily runner, stick to stock filters, no problems of dust moving into your engine or water intake.

KNN, UNI, etc are good filters for pulling performance out of your bike but just the filter isn't going to make a difference. There is jetting to sort out as well as making sure you do not alter the intake runner length.

A small hint, a few strategically placed holes in your current airbox will make you bike breathe better without the need for jetting and stuff.

Cheers

Robin
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:07   #10
BHPian

Check with Ron for the UNI air filter, this is what I have in my RX 135, you may contact Ron at RDD, here is the link,

RDDreams :: Index
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
Where to purchase a UNI, which model do we require for RX 135 4 speed should we purchase through online, guyz any dealers in bangalore please help.
PM Sankar or Killer. They should know the right shops.
Old 22nd May 2008, 20:13   #12
BHPian

If you want to stick to the stock filter, here is what you can do to make the bike breathe better.. drill some holes on the outside cover of the airbox in which you place the filter, take the stock filter and drill some holes in it too..not too many though.. this would set up your bike for a better breather than normal.

cheers.
Old 23rd May 2008, 00:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Drilling holes in the airbox wont do anything except make an obnoxious noise. The wise choice is to just keep the bike stock, specially if there are no goals to be met. These small things just dont make any gains on a two-stroke. An expansion chamber is where things start to get serious. You can get one for the same amount of money or maybe a little higher depending on who you go to.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 23rd May 2008 at 00:55.
Old 23rd May 2008, 09:35   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
Finding the right jet sizes will be a torture. You would have to spend a lot of time in jetting for various throttle positions.
Can't deny that.
But then again, so many people are running UNI's now on similar bikes that average Ballpark figures are kinda known.
The 4 speeder comes with 165 size main jet, if memory serves me well.
After UNI, try 180,185,190 size. One of these will probably do the trick for now. Rest of the fine tuning can be done when time and money allows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Have used them in all sorts of bikes. Yamahas, Pulsars, Karizmas, Bullets (350 and 500). Each time, very very pleasing results.

I'd pick Foam in Indian conditions anyday. To quote a line from one of the most popular books for 2 strokes, Amazon.com: Two-Stroke Performance Tuning: A. Bell: Books
Bell writes that,

"The first thing you need is a good airfilter, Properly Oiled. For dry events, I think they K&N range of cotton filters are Tops. If there is a lot of mud and water around, I prefer the UNI foam filter as it does a better job of keeping mud and water out".

I am a not a rich guy. Cannot keep two filters. One for clean roadways, and one for dusty paths and monsoons. Neither do I have the time to keep jetting the bike each time I make a switch.
Hence, I recommend UNI to all in the first place only.

My friends have tried UNI on their cars too and give me good feedback of the same. I'm currently collecting Cash to put one on my Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
Dont waste time and effort trying to order online and then wondering why they got stuck in customs.
Just buy one over the counter with a matching Jet. Pure and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy View Post
A small hint, a few strategically placed holes in your current airbox will make you bike breathe better without the need for jetting and stuff.
Breathe better = More Air = An even Leaner air-fuel mixture if you don't upjet.

More Air = Upjetting needed. Simple funda and there is no running away from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
These small things just dont make any gains on a two-stroke.
On modern 2 strokes, agreed. The companies have already spent millions on R&D and stock airbox design is one of the best you can have. Studying the evolution of Yamaha 2 strokes, you can see that fact happening in RZ, TZR lineup. Stock airbox is pretty good.

But, We are talking of an Rx135 4speeder here. And I can tell you from Experience that with proper jetting and all, gains are VERY MUCH noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
An expansion chamber is where things start to get serious. You can get one for the same amount of money or maybe a little higher depending on who you go to.
Agreed again. Chamber is the way to go for any 2 stroke.
BUT
in an RX135, you will be better off sorting out your ignition first, with the same money.
The bike came with a Static timing CDI from company. Replace that with a Digital CDI first. Static timing just doesn't cut the cake in this age when all the knowledge is easily available on internet AND corresponding products are also.
Dynamically controlled timing is the way to go.
Old 25th May 2008, 03:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

When I said small I was referring to drilling holes in the airbox. I've been there, done that, and therefore don't recommend it to anybody specially if they're looking for performance.

Also, what did you mean by static and dynamic? The stock RX's timing advance changes as per RPM. The bike wouldn't run otherwise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks