Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2008, 09:30   #1
BHPian

Hyosung Comet !! Is it a Good Deal??

Hi

i am posting this Ad for my friend who is looking for a bike. TBhpians were so helpful to me in selecting vehicles .. i recommended him too ..

He is currently in Bangalore.. He told that there is Comet available for sale .

Its a 2005 model one. They are asking 1.4L (negotiable).

Couple of questions arised on our mind
  1. Is it a worth Buy at 1.4??
  2. Maintanace--> Can it be done anywhere in Bangalore? If so where?
  3. Spare Parts?
  4. Anyone to check the vehicle b4 we buy?
Hope i will get a helpful feed back from u guys...
Old 11th June 2008, 09:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

If I am not wrong this bike Comet was marketed here in India by Kinetic and they did not relaunch after a couple of years and went ahead with Kinetic Blaze.
I suppose you can find out from Kinetic people if my knowledge about it is right. Maybe someone else might chip in for your queries.
Old 11th June 2008, 10:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

The comet was a import by Kinetic motors, and was never going to be a production bike, they had two loads imported from Hyosung, same as the Aquila, I think you can get information on this from the Kinetic office at at MG road or brigade , I do not remember, If you friend does not mind waiting for part when it goes wrong, than it a good buy , for 1.10 to 1.20 lacs.
There was a problem with the bike thou of fuel pump [yes it has that], when ever in slow traffic the rubber material plunger use to stop working due to expansion, I do not know if they have/had solved it.
otherwise the bike is great.. at 25 kmpl...and 132kmph top end.and the sound of Vtiwn is music to the ears..
Old 11th June 2008, 12:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

I own a comet myself for last 2yrs. If someone is selling it to you for 1.4, its a good deal as long as the bike has not been abused. My bike has not been extensively used in the city. Mostly on the highway and let me tell you that all i've done so far in terms of maintenance is - oil & filter change, carb cleaning & battery replacement.
Also, any SBK mechanic can fix the bike. It is a V-Twin but no fancy fuel injected stuff but a carb version. In fact, if a comet mechanic is still with some authorized kinetic showroom (these are hard to find!), they are your best bet for regular servicing. You will need to find the SBK mech only in case you need replacement parts. Cause when it comes to parts, kinetic will take ages and charge you a bomb!! But overall, for a bike that has been kept well, you should not face any issues.
A word of caution....its only a street bike so don't think of scraping pegs. Atleast not with stock tyres and the fading front brakes that have no bite.
Its got a bad name cause of kinetic promising after sales service that it never delivered. And cause of irresponsible owners who rode it like some fancy litre bike. But keep it well and it will run for a long long time without any issues. And the top speed and mileage is fairly accurate as mentioned.
Good luck!
Old 11th June 2008, 21:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Anybody have any details about the Kawasaki Ninja 250. Is it coming? Will it be under 2 lacs?

If it's coming and if it's gonna be under 2 lacs then the Comet would be a very bad choice for 1.4 lacs.

An R15 with fuel injection might match the Comet in top speed and performance and as an added bonus might give you a slighlty better fuel mileage also. Apart from that the spares would be easier to source. The negative is that it's not a twin.

So ask your friend to think wisely and decide.
Old 12th June 2008, 12:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Comet is a very good bike. The problem starts when you have to source parts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks