Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2008, 18:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Congrats ajo, sad that you have to give it away soon.

there was this article in the hindu today about a munian. How good is he ?

The Hindu : Metro Plus Chennai / Wheels : An innovation under his belt
Wow! mail4ajo its a good choice...

Lets bang American Choppers
Old 18th June 2008, 18:59   #17
BHPian

Nice find esteem_lover, Love it.

Btw where is the rear brake!
Can you pls post some pics of the front and rear drums.
Old 18th June 2008, 19:30   #18
Team-BHP Support

Not bad, needs some restoration and she will be back to old glory.
Old 18th June 2008, 20:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheshagiri View Post
Not sure about the source of your information but if you read the 50 years anniversary edition book of Royal Enfield - it will tell you that some of the British components were used up to the the 70's. I had also checked this with the RE owners club of the UK a few years back. Will try and pull out the email - not sure which email id I was using then. From 55-62 all major parts were manufactured in Redditch and shipped to assemble in India. In 61-62, RE discontinued the Bulled in the UK and dumped all the extra parts in to India who continued to use until the late 60's.
Since you are based in Bangalore - you may be knowing Muneer Bhai - even he was telling me the same thing.
Yep i know Muneer bhai, also been there, but i used to get my bike done up from another mechanic.

I have a book Royal Enfield Post War models. I'm referring that book. But you could be right about few British components being used in the models upto 70. I have a 65 engine and a 70 engine and both engines have G prefixed to their numbers.

Mail4ajo, the bike looks okay man. But unfortunately some of the period parts have been swapped out. But what you have on the bike please keep them.
Old 18th June 2008, 21:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats ajo, sad that you have to give it away soon.
I think the bike has cast a spell on me. I have ridden Bullets before, but the last 2 days of riding has left me spell bound. I think I will keep this for myself. But the toughest part is convincing wife on keeping the bike. I already have 2 bikes that I rarely ride. Or is she jealous due to my new found obsession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
The bike looks stock, the odo just reads 7k, is that all it's driven?, must me more.
I think all this bike needs is a good layer of crom, for it to get all shiny again. By the way, how much did it cost.
I am sure the odo figure is wrong. Sorry to say, I am not disclosing the price. My mother and wife say I am mad to buy such an old bike. Sad, they dont understand the legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Mail4ajo, the bike looks okay man. But unfortunately some of the period parts have been swapped out. But what you have on the bike please keep them.
Yes, I dont think its possible to restore to the original looks. Look at the levers, wheel hubs etc. I dont think this kind of parts are made today.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 18th June 2008 at 21:27.
Old 18th June 2008, 21:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the Madras Mentals Club!
Old 19th June 2008, 09:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
I wonder whether the meter gauges are changed because 60s bullets were usually seen with White Dial with Royal Enfield logo.
Try getting the same old white dials, the most amazing thing is it counted MPH and not KMPH.
Forgot to mention it is written "Made in England"
Old 19th June 2008, 12:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I think the bike has cast a spell on me. I have ridden Bullets before, but the last 2 days of riding has left me spell bound. I think I will keep this for myself. But the toughest part is convincing wife on keeping the bike. I already have 2 bikes that I rarely ride. Or is she jealous due to my new found obsession?
I think you are discovering yourself to be a true motorcycle collector. Now get a yezdi & a rajdoot to complete the cycle.
Old 19th June 2008, 12:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you are discovering yourself to be a true motorcycle collector. Now get a yezdi & a rajdoot to complete the cycle.
John, it must be a JAWA more than the yezdi !
Old 19th June 2008, 18:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to mention it is written "Made in England"
Not on the 69 ones, 63 was the last year they gave Smith Speedo's. Infact in 63 - they started giving Smiths with 140 KM's. By 69 they had Yenkay metres made in India. The amp meter was Lucas Made in England with black dials. This I think continued in to the early 70's

Smith made very very few white dial bike speedo's mainly for James and a couple of Ariels (Not very sure)
Old 19th June 2008, 18:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
But you could be right about few British components being used in the models upto 70. I have a 65 engine and a 70 engine and both engines have G prefixed to their numbers.
Do they both have G2 prefixed? or just a G
Old 10th July 2008, 13:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

Hello Ajo...What happened to your restoration project? No news heard on this.
Old 11th July 2008, 00:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After 62 all the components were made in India including engines. Original heavy crank bikes were produced till 77.
till 72 the engine parts were made in Uk and were assembled here in Madras factory.

in the photos most of the original parts are gone as per the body work. the tank if from STANDARD DELUXE, the mudguards are from the late 70's but the wheel hubs are original. it seems that even the timing cover has been changed, The light swith on the haed lamp unit is not original, the spedo is no good.

any way there could be alist of all this. but what matters is who would be the one who puts this bad boy back to shape and make it a ENGLISH Gentle man. so would that be you ma man or your friend?

@ Sheshagiri : Sir it seems that you live in Gurgaon would it be possible for me to meet up some time. i would love to see a nicely restored 59, i am picking up a 64 soon and would be doing it up to the original spects as much as possible. i already have a 77

any kind of parts help please do let me know. have some contacts with SARDARS who are real good at the vintage business. so may be i would be able to sort you out on that.
hey and any one interested in a VINTAGE working SMITHS?

Last edited by desideep : 11th July 2008 at 01:00.
Old 11th July 2008, 02:06   #29
Senior - BHPian

this is the smiths speedo
Attached Thumbnails
Picked up a 1969 Model Bullet..-11072008014.jpg  

Old 11th July 2008, 19:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheshagiri View Post
Do they both have G2 prefixed? or just a G
Yes, the G has been prefixed to the engine number
Quote:
Hello Ajo...What happened to your restoration project? No news heard on this.
I actually sourced a few parts for the bike. Need to collect them this weekend.
Issue is my friend is pressing me to ship the bike to Coimbatore. He has completed restoration of a 75 Bullet and a old Ambassodor car. He wants to fill in this.

The bike refuses to start quickly in the morning. Is it a regular issue with Bullets? Do I have to use choke? What is the best method to start them in the morning?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks