Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2008, 19:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Picked up a 1969 Model Bullet..

I picked up a 1969 Bullet today. I am not a great fan of Bullets so will be passing it to my crazy friend in CBE after some time.

I was doing a lot of research on pre 70's bullets recently. I noticed that some components on the bike has been replaced with newer ones. Is there any place in Chennai, CBE or Kerala where I can get the original fittings so that the bike looks like the actual 69 model?

My knowledge on Bullets is very very limited. The bike starts instantly and rides well. I was able to maintain a very slow speed on top gear which I have heard is one of the USPs.(due to heavy crank).

The torquey feeling is amazing. Small issues with brakes, engine oil leak (Think the gaskets need replacement).

Tyres need replacement as well. Need to find a good guy in Chennai. Any suggestions? Most local mechs refused to touch the bike saying its too complicated. Is this true?

Please pass any links or information that you guys have on pre 70's Bullets. Will post images tomorrow.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 17th June 2008 at 19:36.
Old 17th June 2008, 19:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations,bro.
Why did you pick a '69 bullet?
Did you get it for free? Or Did someone pay you to take possession?
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2008, 20:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Macha, Check the prices for pre 70's. No good ones in the market. Well maintained ones are quoted atom bomb prices. Had to bargain real hard for this. Lots of work to restore, but all papers were clear.
Old 17th June 2008, 21:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

How much did it cost you
Do Post some pics.
Old 17th June 2008, 23:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Congratulations,bro.
Why did you pick a '69 bullet?
The 69 model would have a G2 engine, i.e the engine number will be prefixed with a G2. These were Engines manufactured in the UK factory (assembled in India) and had a heavier crank. A well restored one will fetch a good price.

I have a 1959 and a 1957 and trust me, no one paid me to take posession. I have spent a bomb on them.

With regards to the original question, in chennai go to Jaf's garage at Pudupet. He knows the older bikes and should be able to help you
Old 17th June 2008, 23:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheshagiri View Post
The 69 model would have a G2 engine, i.e the engine number will be prefixed with a G2. These were Engines manufactured in the UK factory (assembled in India) and had a heavier crank. A well restored one will fetch a good price.
After 62 all the components were made in India including engines. Original heavy crank bikes were produced till 77.
Old 18th June 2008, 01:00   #7
BHPian

Jo: Congrats on the bull man. Its a gem of machine that you have. Even i used to swear by Jaf but last 2-3 yrs I despise him. He no more gets into it and the kids who work on the bulls screw them up. Age has caught with him. His son is more into mods so doesnt concentrate. Jaf is a good man but things are not the same.

I would suggest Shankar in Thiruvanmiyur. His shop next to the School from the road next to Thiruvanmiyur Bus Stop. ANyone will direct you if you ask for Bullet Mech Shankar. I have been to his shop and very honest man. Still works on all his bullet and doesnt have 10 assistants screwing your bike. But he takes time and is slow so you need to live with that.

Whatever you do, PLS PLS PLS dont step to Vardhan in Alwarpet, you do that I might have anthrax you because cant you let you spoil a 1969 bull

Have fun my Alto lover!
Old 18th June 2008, 01:42   #8
BHPian

man congrats on the bike

a query though
whats the oldest model bull that one can find in india
Old 18th June 2008, 06:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
After 62 all the components were made in India including engines. Original heavy crank bikes were produced till 77.
Not sure about the source of your information but if you read the 50 years anniversary edition book of Royal Enfield - it will tell you that some of the British components were used up to the the 70's. I had also checked this with the RE owners club of the UK a few years back. Will try and pull out the email - not sure which email id I was using then. From 55-62 all major parts were manufactured in Redditch and shipped to assemble in India. In 61-62, RE discontinued the Bulled in the UK and dumped all the extra parts in to India who continued to use until the late 60's.
Since you are based in Bangalore - you may be knowing Muneer Bhai - even he was telling me the same thing.
Old 18th June 2008, 07:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Jo: Congrats on the bull man. Its a gem of machine that you have. Even i used to swear by Jaf but last 2-3 yrs I despise him. He no more gets into it and the kids who work on the bulls screw them up. Age has caught with him. His son is more into mods so doesnt concentrate. Jaf is a good man but things are not the same.
!
Thats sad then, he was a brilliant guy who was very innovative and technically sound. A brilliant person as well - he had given me a few original parts for my 59 bullet.
Old 18th June 2008, 07:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheshagiri View Post
Thats sad then, he was a brilliant guy who was very innovative and technically sound. A brilliant person as well - he had given me a few original parts for my 59 bullet.
He still is! But the problem is he doesnt work on the bikes anymore and just supervises. He can still get parts but I would not park my bull there for service
Old 18th June 2008, 12:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

As promised here are the images. Man, this bike is really heavy. I was sweating after a hour of riding.

Very tough in traffic especially with the right shifter, which I am not very used to. But when it rolls, it a breeze to handle even with my short stature of 5"3. No gym can bear this. Now I understand why the "BULL separates the men from the boys".cheers:
Attached Thumbnails
Picked up a 1969 Model Bullet..-img_4208.jpg  

Picked up a 1969 Model Bullet..-img_4209.jpg  

Picked up a 1969 Model Bullet..-img_4214.jpg  

Picked up a 1969 Model Bullet..-img_4216.jpg  

Picked up a 1969 Model Bullet..-img_4218.jpg  

Picked up a 1969 Model Bullet..-img_4220.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 18th June 2008, 12:58   #13
BHPian

The bike looks stock, the odo just reads 7k, is that all it's driven?, must me more.

I think all this bike needs is a good layer of crom, for it to get all shiny again. By the way, how much did it cost. Restoration should not be a problem as you live in Chennai, but times have changed, I don't know now if there are bullet lovers left, but when I lived as a kid in Chennai, saw a lot of bullets then.
Old 18th June 2008, 15:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
As promised here are the images. Man, this bike is really heavy. I was sweating after a hour of riding.

Very tough in traffic especially with the right shifter, which I am not very used to. But when it rolls, it a breeze to handle even with my short stature of 5"3. No gym can bear this. Now I understand why the "BULL separates the men from the boys".cheers:
Congrats man!!! Old is gold in Bullet, I had an 83 model 350 Standard which was my passion in college days. Still I long to have a buy back

I wonder whether the meter gauges are changed because 60s bullets were usually seen with White Dial with Royal Enfield logo.
Try getting the same old white dials, the most amazing thing is it counted MPH and not KMPH.
Old 18th June 2008, 16:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats ajo, sad that you have to give it away soon.

there was this article in the hindu today about a munian. How good is he ?

The Hindu : Metro Plus Chennai / Wheels : An innovation under his belt

Most Viewed