Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2008, 08:57   #1
BANNED

Got RD350 HT after 4 years of wait.

Ultimatly got this 1985(first quarter) RD HT on 21st after living without RD for 4 years and loosing the previous one last year.Its single owner bike and being in remote area nothing much done in this bike most of things are stock but required hell lot of work to make her real RD.After seeing her i made my mind that i got a good chasis, running engine, dentless pipes , stock points, damn good front end, almost new set of tyres and rustless rims.Its on 0.5 and running local pistons(some engineers make), carbs are leaking badly, both mudgurad needs replacement including the rear carier which i feels better ill remove it, gear box is too good very smooth shifts but clutch unit needs replacement, one cylenders ex port is damaged and need some magic hands on it, cranck makes noise, still running on stock paper filter, RR unit is OEM and in good condition, speedo meter is intact but not working due to speedo cable and or drive unit issue, RPM meter takes full rotation after raving her a bit, oil pump is in working order 2t tank needs replacement as its neck got cracks, full electrical upgrade is to be done as wiring harness is completly messed up only the guy who worked on her knows the details all blikers are also missing but sign of using RX blinkers are still there, Bikes serial number is 3988 which comes to number 1 thats lucky for me and its HT with restrictive plate welded on ex port(will get it removed for sure).
The bike was loaded on 12 th of this month got it on 21st which again come to number 1.Registered on 28th of march 1985 which comes to number 9 which is again lucky for me.
Thanks a ton to Magician who made it possible just thorough mails and calls even after we have not seen each other in real world.
Saturday when we took her out from railway station she refused to start as cylinders were over flowen and my friend also didnt got the spanner to open the plugs, so got one mechanic after kicking atleast 50 kicks and struggling to get mechanic as 6 of them refused to come over after hearing that they need to work on RD.Asked him to just open the plugs and again kicked to push out the extra fuel from cylinders, checked the current and points were giving good strength of current meanwhile the mechanic felt that he is not going to get much so he played their usual game and he said "Saar ye 2 plug wala gadi hai aur spark aane ka timing dono ka alag alag hota hai aur aapke gadi main fault hai timing ulta set hai so firing nahi kar raha hai, CDI, starter coil, HT coil check karna padega".
I said just put the plugs back and back off and after that just one kick and she roared(priceless).Thanks Ron and his wonderful forum for educating us enough to cope with these mechanics, this incident remind me the wasted spark option in RDD CDI.
After putting 4.5 L of fuel with 80 ML 2T even though its running on oil pump took her from Yeswantpur railway station to my house via ORR around 25 KM distance took 1 hour due to heavy traffic and hard clutch gave me nightmare but crusing between 80-100 (i guess) on top gear took my all pain on open roads and even after being not ran for almost 3 years she ran like dream too good handeling and corners you just throw her and she takes as it is, very good rear breaks but no front ones(break shoe gone).
Now she is taking reat at my parking and waiting for full restoration which i feels i'll start after getting enough fund and time may be another 4-6 months will see her in different avatar as i want first class build no compromise in any area whether its engine or cosmatics.
cheers:
Attached Thumbnails
Got RD350 HT after 4 years of wait.-02042008110.jpg  

Got RD350 HT after 4 years of wait.-02042008111.jpg  

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 24th June 2008 at 09:10.
Old 24th June 2008, 09:29   #2
BHPian

Congrats- Nice 'Yamdoot'.
I hope it's funcyionally ok and rules you well.

And please use more paragraphs while posting- i couldn't read what you posted as i got dizzy.
Old 24th June 2008, 09:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Awesome..way to go..I wish i could get a nice RD..how much did you pay?
I saw a couple of 84 and 85 high torque but the prices were..gulp..I could buy a zen for that price.
Old 24th June 2008, 09:59   #4
BHPian

Congratulations man! So, whats going into the bike now? Starting with an RDD CDI??
Old 24th June 2008, 10:05   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations! I am sure when you saw her for the first time, it seemed to be well worth the wait, eh? I can imagine your excitement on sealing the deal. Good luck with sprucing her back to pristine condition. Do also change the Rajdoot decals.
Old 24th June 2008, 11:25   #6
BANNED

Thanks all for appriciating this Rajdoot, actually it took full 5 months to get her in my Den now another 5-6 months to restore, apart from paint and chrome job i am getting her new ignition even though its on points and are working at its best no need to say which ignition. New Uni filters with matching jets, Flat slider carbs, RZ reeds, ART pistons with stage 1 port job in cylinders, EBC clutch kit, bronze bushings for swing arms, new rear shocks, new set of meters, ignition key along with all locs, complete wiring harness, set of RD blinkers, ARS oil seal kit, Vesrah gaskets etc.
I am looking forward to get her the factory standard cosmatic specifications and engine must be exceeding the factory standards.
Old 24th June 2008, 12:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ajay,
You need to change to orginal RD sticketing on the petrol tank and on the side cowels.That will restore orginality.
Check out my RD pics to get an idea.
Old 24th June 2008, 12:09   #8
BANNED

Yes man getting OEM decails and its going to be Rajdoot only not Yamaha
Old 24th June 2008, 12:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Also don t forget "Licence Yamaha" monogram on the left side of the Engine cover
Old 24th June 2008, 13:39   #10
BANNED

Yep most of the parts i am getting it from old godown of Yamaha parts where still many rare parts are available or eBay, hvccycle and Speed and Sport Inc, Yamaha motorcycle parts, Nos yamaha source.
Old 24th June 2008, 13:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ajay on your RD and am sure and needless to say, when you first drove her back it would have been the greatest feeling ever in your life.
With all the mods it will definitely make its presence felt on our Bangy roads for sure. All the best and do post the mods and pics as you progress with it.
Old 24th June 2008, 14:11   #12
BANNED

Yes man and that kind of happiness haven't felt even when i bought my first car, daily i just watch this beauti atleast for half n hour and it gives me the kind of satisfaction which can't be explained in words.
Old 9th July 2008, 13:38   #13
BHPian

How did I miss this thread?

Congrats Ajay, you finally got her. Now I am sure you will slowly and painfully bring her up to perfect condition. Use the mechanic's number I sent you if the need be.

Nice to see Rajdoot on the tank Keep me informed about what's going on and let me know if I can help...

Again...Congrats and cheers....cheers:
Old 9th July 2008, 13:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Ajay ! So as stated in the next 4-6 months i suppose this beauty will be all set for restoration in full swing. Keep us updated with that and all the best.
Old 9th July 2008, 13:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Post some pics after restoration dude

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks