Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 23:50   #1
BHPian

TVS-Suzuki Samurai mods

Hi, I have a 2001 model TVS-Suzuki Samurai. and the bike is due for an overhaul shortly. It's done 39,000 km, and is totally stock. I don't have any problems with the bike, but was considering doing a few affordable mods to improve overall performance. I guess after nearly 40k km the cylinder will need reboring. Are there any other parts/mods that would improve the Samurai's performance?

Mod Edit: Title renamed to TVS-Suzuki. Just Suzuki Samurai is nothing but Maruti Gypsy.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th June 2008 at 00:02.
Old 27th July 2008, 21:39   #2
BHPian

Some planned mods...

Ok, I guess nobody apart from Mridul has really done mods on a Samurai here. After doing a bit of research, this is what seems to be some good minor mods for my bike:
K&N air filter (can anyone suggest a good K&N model for Samurai?)
Exhaust mods
Bore out the cylinder slightly

I'm only looking at getting a little bit more of performance out of my bike. Later on, I might do some suspension work, and a rebuild/repaint. The Samurai came in Black (most common), Red and Green. I want to paint it a nice shade of blue, but still use the original stickering over the paint.
Any useful suggestions are welcome.
Old 28th July 2008, 11:00   #3
BHPian

y do u need to rebore the bike when its done only 40000 kms? If the bike is in good running condition, then u may want to consider for a rebore at around the 1lakh kms mark.
Old 28th July 2008, 14:24   #4
BHPian

i think prjwal has a point, go for cosmetic changes like a good paint job, tyre upgrades and shocks .
And plz dont forget to update ur mods pictorially along with the price tags of the spares and labour charges spent as it would help other bhpians .
And also provide pointers to spares shop , mechanics and automobiles painters where ur planning to get it done..
all the best .
Old 28th July 2008, 21:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
y do u need to rebore the bike when its done only 40000 kms? If the bike is in good running condition, then u may want to consider for a rebore at around the 1lakh kms mark.
Like you said, reboring is mostly not required right now. I'll know for sure once my mechanic takes a close look at the engine. Most probably, decarbing/cleaning the cylinder should be enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvg View Post
i think prjwal has a point, go for cosmetic changes like a good paint job, tyre upgrades and shocks .
And plz dont forget to update ur mods pictorially along with the price tags of the spares and labour charges spent as it would help other bhpians .
And also provide pointers to spares shop , mechanics and automobiles painters where ur planning to get it done..
all the best .
My tyres are in good shape. Am looking for a neat shade of blue for the paintjob. Can anyone suggest good brand of shocks for Samurai? I will post details about the work done on the bike.
Old 9th June 2009, 22:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvg View Post
all the best .
Hi, I have been busy restoring my 1970 Lambretta, and now that it is 50% complete, I have begun prelim work on the Samurai. Have been looking around for the best source of original TVS spares...a few shops at JC Road still deal in them. I want to use original spares as far as possible. This is a restoration with light modifications. Originality, looks, and dependability are what I'm looking at...not speed or power. Will keep you posted as work progresses...

Last edited by Sidman : 9th June 2009 at 22:31.
Old 12th June 2009, 19:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
...I'm only looking at getting a little bit more of performance out of my bike. Later on, I might do some suspension work, and a rebuild...
you could add Intake resonator to improve throttle response. Manifold from Supra & resonator a.k.a powerbox from Shogun. Try removing Catcon from exhaust, it must be non functional by now. Think post 2000 bikes had it. If you have old type front forks (Ceriani?, steel plated) change inner springs to lengthier ones from last models. For rear shocks check those of victor/ star if you are looking for a softer set. And lastly a Shogun cylinder kit for that extra bit of performance.
Old 17th June 2009, 19:56   #8

I had a 1997 Suzuki Samurai, and these where the mods done on that.
1. Rear tyre and rim changed to Yezdi tyre and rim. Looks good and bit broader than the stock ones.
2. Handlebar changed to a Royal Enfield Fury's short handle bar.
3. I dont know exactly how this was done, my friend fiddled with the exhaust system, (cutting the cone, or blocking it or drilling extra holes. something like that.) to improve the exhaust note and it was GOOD. without that TING TING sound of samurai. More like the grunt of shogun.
4. Headlight changed to Maruti Omni's round reflector set and halogens.
5. All black paint with clear coat.
Well thats all I could remember now, it was done during my college days..when pockets were light It was fun to ride.
ALL THESE WERE DIY PROJECTS
Old 12th February 2010, 14:43   #9
BHPian

reed-ing

Okay., digging up this old thread for all your opinion & inputs on 'Reed Valve' area increase.

What effect does increasing the reed area by ~50% have? Assuming that rest all -cyl ports,carb,pipe etc remain mostly stock, which parameter -Torque or power & at what range (low-mid-top) would have a significant change?

Or

What all needs a change along with this Reed area mod, for a good Low-Mid range?

Why & how: samurai have a 3 petal reed but only 2 are functional. Stock intake has 2 across it & rest 1 is covered by metal in front. Widening the intake opening at reed seat by removing some metal exposes 3rd petal to work. pic is a rep. of set up view from carb' end. hope you get what i meant, have no photos with me. TVS-Suzuki Samurai mods-reed.jpg

Last edited by Rennjit : 12th February 2010 at 14:48.
Old 12th February 2010, 15:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess after nearly 40k km the cylinder will need reboring.
But why???
You need to do a compression test to check if you cylinder needs a rebore. Samurai & Max100's should be able to do 82-85 Kmph max, this is all the performance you can expect. My sincere suggestion to you will be, do not touch the cylinder unless & until a the compression test shows less compression.

Quote:
Are there any other parts/mods that would improve the Samurai's performance?
Quote:
Originality, looks, and dependability are what I'm looking at...not speed or power. Will keep you posted as work progresses...
Both your statements above are self contradicting. Let us know what you're looking for.

Last edited by aargee : 12th February 2010 at 15:18.
Old 12th February 2010, 15:21   #11
BHPian

^aargee, you just replied to a one and a half year old post im guessing sidman would've already gotten his work done by now.
Old 12th February 2010, 16:18   #12
BHPian

@aargee & rg chn, pl see my post#9.
Old 12th February 2010, 16:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

oh!!
I saw the previous post being updated on 12-Feb & thought in similar lines. Thanks for the pointer.
Old 20th March 2010, 20:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
^aargee, you just replied to a one and a half year old post im guessing sidman would've already gotten his work done by now.
Actually, the work has just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
But why???
You need to do a compression test to check if you cylinder needs a rebore. Samurai & Max100's should be able to do 82-85 Kmph max, this is all the performance you can expect. My sincere suggestion to you will be, do not touch the cylinder unless & until a the compression test shows less compression.
Both your statements above are self contradicting. Let us know what you're looking for.
The bike has been dismantled and all parts that require gloss black paint (like chassis) have been painted. The mechanic says the engine is in good shape, no rebore needed. Only the rings need to be changed. I'm painting it metallic blue, like the type seen on Pulsar 200.
I did not mean perfomance in that previous contradictory post. I meant reliability. Not looking at modding it, though the mechanic suggested using the front disc brake from Fiero (I think).
Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll try to post some photos of the work soon.
Old 4th December 2010, 01:47   #15
BHPian

hi sidman,

just to reopen a lost thread. did you finish the paint job? What did you do with the plastic side boxes and the plastic back panels?

Please post pics!

Thanks mate!

Most Viewed