Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2008, 06:29   #1
BHPian

Want suggestions on improving BAL Pulsar200 (P200) headlight power.

I was going through the owner's manual of a friend's P200 hunting for the power output of the magneto.
Seems BAL doesn't want to provide that information to owners.

So anyone has an idea (preferably concrete info) on what's the rated power output for the same?

My friend wants a higher power headlight as he does intercity/interstate often.

So what are the possible options to improve the power of the headlight beam and maybe the throw+spread too as a bonus, without sacrificing the original multi-reflector sealed beam and the headlight cowl preferably.

I have read some posts here suggesting HIDs
Can someone please "throw some more light" on-
HIDs available locally
the classification(rating if any)+pricing
any mods require to the bike or electricals for the same
and what is best suited to the P200?

p.s. I have been on an exile from motorcycling for quite some years now and really can't differentiate between the A and Z of the new bikes.
Old 27th June 2008, 13:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

I know a guy who's fitted HID's to the P200. Don't know how he installed it exactly but the Pulsar battery can handle it since its a 9 ah and the kit requires 35w only.

Locally HID's are available for around 6-8k but if you have someone to share it with, it can cost half as the Pulsar uses only one bulb. Never buy anything above 6000K color temperature as they give out a very "Blue" light and that attracts the cops. Besides, the higher the temperature the lesser is the light on the road. For e.g the Skoda Laura (or any car with OEM HID's)uses 4300k which is actually yellowish light but it looks a little Bluish/Purplish from far because its behind the projector. When you are not using a projector its better to go for 5000/6000K.
Old 27th June 2008, 13:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Putting a lower wattage bulb on the the newer pulsars is slightly dicey, the new BCP or some control unit check if the current drawn is less than the stock's rated power it shifts\switches to the other filament(this is for foolproofing a busted filament)
Old 27th June 2008, 13:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKeINSTEIN View Post
I was going through the owner's manual of a friend's P200 hunting for the power output of the magneto.
Seems BAL doesn't want to provide that information to owners.

So anyone has an idea (preferably concrete info) on what's the rated power output for the same?

My friend wants a higher power headlight as he does intercity/interstate often.

So what are the possible options to improve the power of the headlight beam and maybe the throw+spread too as a bonus, without sacrificing the original multi-reflector sealed beam and the headlight cowl preferably.

I have read some posts here suggesting HIDs
Can someone please "throw some more light" on-
HIDs available locally
the classification(rating if any)+pricing
any mods require to the bike or electricals for the same
and what is best suited to the P200?

p.s. I have been on an exile from motorcycling for quite some years now and really can't differentiate between the A and Z of the new bikes.
HID can be fitted, but it will require a lot of job to be done by a proper mechanic. Get it connected straight from battery. The recharging coil will need some modification as will be voltage regulator ( or some other name ) that will decide the voltage to be extracted from coils.

Forget bajaj dealer, he wont even put in parts bought from outside, even if you are ready to take responsibility in written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Putting a lower wattage bulb on the the newer pulsars is slightly dicey, the new BCP or some control unit check if the current drawn is less than the stock's rated power it shifts\switches to the other filament(this is for foolproofing a busted filament)
I think this is because if one filament gets fused, then automatically the next filament will get the power. This is safety feature as per Bajaj.
Old 27th June 2008, 13:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this is because if one filament gets fused, then automatically the next filament will get the power. This is safety feature as per Bajaj.
Yes & this safety feature is a hindrance to any such mod. Ofcourse directly connectiong to battery will help but one will have to separate switch for it making it messy
Old 27th June 2008, 13:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yes & this safety feature is a hindrance to any such mod. Ofcourse directly connectiong to battery will help but one will have to separate switch for it making it messy
Its messy for sure. Saw one in A'bad ( that guy happens to be my uncle's patient ), its possible, but proper installation and modifications are necessary or else the batter will drain.
Old 27th June 2008, 16:57   #7
BHPian

Well here is the HID video on my P200 - pls excuse the horrible sound mix - it was not my idea

And for more info on how to DIY you can go through this
post here - (dont wanna type it all in again obviously)

The Melting Pot: New HID , Silencer and starter motor plus -- 4th svc report

You will get 'N' no of HID kits - I mean the brands. Mine is actually a Vision X kit bought for the car that I fit on my P200. Its a 35W Ballast unit. You also get 55W Ballast kits...which are suitable to P220. Mine costed a bomb , but bike specific kits sourced from malaysia,china and german makes are available in different versions from 4K-9K.
Old 28th June 2008, 19:24   #8
BHPian

HIDs can be bought for Rs. 2200 onwards in mumbai.Suggest you buy a H3 HID, mount it in a spot lamp and then mount it on crash bar or handlebar.
hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Want suggestions on improving BAL Pulsar200 (P200) headlight power.-hid_on_pulsar_arpan.jpg  

Old 4th July 2008, 03:58   #9
BHPian

Thank you all.

A friend mentioned some HID kit- hope to check it out soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks