Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2010, 11:25   #466
BHPian

Hi mates, I am not a serious racer ( never going to hit the tracks ), just a regular biker planning to get a sports bike (250 -600cc ) just for the passion for it. I know how important riding gears are as i deal on day to day basis with accident patients. I tried a lot of online researching for an ideal limited budget gear for the time being and later updating it once i get the bike. But gave up with the amount of stuff available, can't really make out which is good. Is there a shop in chennai where i just can walk in and get the best stuff in my budget or online...? Got friends working almost all over the world, so suggest where i can strike the best deal. Which is the best Alpine star riding gloves i can get for within Rs. 2500 appx Best Jacket for within Rs. 5000 appx Best riding helmet Rs. 7000 appx Shoes and knew guard later depending on the speeds i grow over time. Thanks for the help.
Old 14th November 2010, 16:15   #467
BHPian

Well i have not any suggestion on my post, yet i have narrowed down on certain products and added them into my wish list.
n.aditya is becoming a big influence on my decisions, thanks

Alpinestar sMX 2
ALPINESTARS SMX-2 AIR CARBON GLOVE from Parts Canada Motorcycle Vol. I

DSG nero/phoenix jacket
DSG Phoenix Jacket Black - Rs5,499.00

Alpinestar bionic
Bionic SX Knee Guard - Alpinestars Official Store

Need to buy them in person, so planning on my next visit to bangalore, or is there an outlet in chennai ?

Yet to decide on my helmet.
Old 14th November 2010, 16:21   #468
Team-BHP Support

Orion Motors should be your destination in Bangalore I guess.

You may safely go for SparX lid if you increase your helmet's budget by 1 to 1.5K.

LE edition of SparX have been launched at ~10K.

Aditya should be a better guide as far as Bangy goes.
Old 14th November 2010, 16:28   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Hi Mate,

I bought the Alpinestar knee armour that was out previous to this model being released. Just fyi, these are motorcross armour and not designed with road riding (crashing) in mind more for dirt/off road situations. Still better than nothing though, if i cant wear my leather pants for practical purposes i'll wear my A* armour under jeans.
Old 16th November 2010, 14:52   #470
Senior - BHPian

Guys, how is ridersdiscount.com in terms of buying gear online. They seem to have a good range and flat $25 shipping to India?
Old 16th November 2010, 16:40   #471
Team-BHP Support

Do not fall for the cheap shipping rate sammy, that international package could take a couple of months to reach you. If you are in no hurry then you could probably opt for it, or otherwise score a better deal (read 10 odd usd cheaper) on another portal and have it shipped via USPS Express.

manson.
Old 16th November 2010, 16:51   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Do not fall for the cheap shipping rate sammy, that international package could take a couple of months to reach you. If you are in no hurry then you could probably opt for it, or otherwise score a better deal (read 10 odd usd cheaper) on another portal and have it shipped via USPS Express.

manson.
Hey Manson, was hoping you would reply bro. Thanks.
So which sites would you suggest ? Am getting my Ninja tomorrow
and really need a Jacket, a Bike Cover and a bike alarm.

May I call you if ur number is the same ?
Please help.

Edit: You got a pm.

Last edited by sammyboy : 16th November 2010 at 16:59.
Old 17th November 2010, 17:52   #473
Senior - BHPian

Gear Shopping

Now that the bike is gonna come tomorrow, I went gear shopping today to Orion Motors.

Got a Sparkx Helmet (8K but they had a discount so got it for 5.5K) , Alpinestars Bionic Knee guards (5K), DSG Nero Riding Jacket (5.4K) and DSG gloves. (Rs. 2750 )

Bargained on the final price and got everything for 15.7K .
Aditya was the "Gear Support" on the phone guiding me through the entire process. Made him speak to the guys there and it really helped. Thanks again bro
Attached Thumbnails
The Riding Gear thread-astar_bionic_web.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-gloves_dsg_web.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-sparx_front_web.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-sparkx_back_web.jpg  

The Riding Gear thread-nero_web.jpg  

Last edited by sammyboy : 17th November 2010 at 17:58.
Old 17th November 2010, 19:02   #474
Senior - BHPian

Anytime Samarth. Glad you have most of the essentials even before you have the bike. Just remember - speeds are irrelevant so even if you are riding at double digit speeds, please do suit up. You can do it while the bike warms up so you wont feel that gearing up for a ride is cumbersome and time consuming.

On the helmet part i hope its a snug fit. The pads break in after some time so its always better that a new helmet is a wee bit tight when you wear it for the first time. Most important - the helmet should not move a lot and should be a snug fit (else it can break a riders neck). Otherwise it looks really hot in red and will compliment the green ninja well. Whats the name of this design though? IIRC its the Torino?

Which DSG gloves are those? I hope those protectors are carbon fiber/kevlar.

Do let me know if you need anything else. Hope you get the delivery of your bike tomorrow.
Old 17th December 2010, 04:42   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Guys, based on the common notion here, am giving Cramster a skip and have decided on getting DSG products. Hope they serve me well too!

Also, are there any dealers so to speak in Hyderabad where I can try out the fit of the jacket and gloves? Could not find any info on their site and don't want to buy blindly over the net.
Old 27th December 2010, 00:55   #476
BHPian

So, with a refreshed budget of 9k (max), I am planning to go for a riding jacket and a helmet. In the jackets, I am confused between the DSG Nero and the DSG Pheonix since both cost ~5.5k. Any pointers on which I should opt for?

Next, the helmet. I plan to buy an LS2 Phobia. Didn't enquire the price, but I guess it's ~3.5k. (Any reviews on LS2 here?) If it's a bit more expensive, then I guess I will have to settle for LS2 Dragon.

Third, which helmet shop should I go to? I would like to go some shop where I will get both the items. I stay in Thane if that matters, so is there anything nearby? I don't have problems commuting to town or Western Suburbs.
Old 27th December 2010, 16:34   #477
BHPian

Bought a pair of DSG Moto Mesh gloves from Orion Motors. Cos me 850 bucks. These are really good light-weight mesh gloves. Great for summer use cos of the ventilation they provide.
Old 27th December 2010, 16:50   #478
Senior - BHPian

@Prateek

I own a LS2 Dragon. Its an awesome helmet. The tinted visor can be an issue in the night though.
Do not take a bigger size, the cheek pads have a lot of give that comes in with the break-in time.
Old 27th December 2010, 19:28   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
My new Icon Airframe predator
Nice Lid I love icon desings.
How did it cost you & where did you pick it up from?
Old 27th December 2010, 22:32   #480
BHPian

@Prateek-I'm also an LS2 Dragon owner and I love it! It can be a tad bit heavy, but I've seen heavier helmets. The finish is very good and since I don't like the tinted visor, I'm using the clear one. Very good visibility. The DSG Phoenix is no more manufactured. You can go for the Nero.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks