Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 00:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

This is what I do at times. Suppose I'm going to brake or I think that the traffic ahead is going to slow down, a moment before I'll flicker the brake light several times by flicking the front brake lever. This is only to warn the behind person that I may brake any moment now. This is also the case if there is someone who is about to overtake me, or I see someone about to potentially cross the road.

Last edited by Gordon : 10th July 2008 at 00:06.
Old 10th July 2008, 00:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Its not only with the bikes
but even some cars.

I check the brake lights often. ( even if by chance)
When i reverse the car into my garage, the rear view mirror shows whether the lights are on or not
Old 10th July 2008, 11:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Just yesterday I was behind a Verna which was moving & its brake lights were on, Initially I thought that the light switch might have conked off as the car was moving even at ~10-15 kph with the lights on but to my horror later the lights switched of & were getting on in braking conditions. This is first time I ever saw someone riding brakes while driving a Car.
Old 10th July 2008, 15:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Twice, while traveling in a rickshaw, I suddenly noticed that the driver was applying the brakes and the engine was still revving, you know, the kind when you purposely do to dry the brakes off the rain water? Then the rickshaw started swerving to the left. A quick glance in the rear view and I saw the driver dozing off . So, there's another instance when people apply pressure on the brake pedal when not intending to.

Last edited by straight6 : 10th July 2008 at 16:00.
Old 10th July 2008, 15:50   #20
Team-BHP Support

my bike and I are guilty of the brake light staying on.
The problem is with the switch on the front disc brake and I have tried quite a bit to fit it right.
what I do is I move the brake in the opposite side when I want to brake so the light goes off and then flash it a few times.

my only excuse is laziness. Will fix it sometime.
Old 10th July 2008, 16:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Good point to bring up

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
...Request all bike riders to adjust their rear brake lamp switches to suit their riding style in this regard.

Happy riding..
headers, very thoughtful of you to have started this thread . You have made a very valid point in the interests of safety of 2 wheelers (even though this appplies to all vehicles).

Old 10th July 2008, 16:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Do the brake lights run ONLY off the battery ? Or will they work even if the battery is dead ? Brake light on my bike is not working for sometime now.

Asking because the battery in my bike is kaput for years now. So, the only lights I have now is the tail light and head light. I want to change the battery, but there seems to be some wiring issues due to which horn/indicator will still not work inspite of replacing the battery. And most neighborhood mechanics seem reluctant to fix the wiring issues - they want me to take it to Pudupet to get the wiring fixed, for which I don't have the time.

Since there is no point in getting a new battery and still have no working horn/indicators, I have been postponing this.
Old 10th July 2008, 16:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

In Pulsar the brake light will work even if you have almost dead battery. Not sure if it will run without it but the battery I had was as good as dead one & the indicators etc worked only when engine was running.
Old 10th July 2008, 16:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

I also had this bad habit initially, putting my right leg on brake pedal. Unintentionally, I used to press more and result brake light in ON even on normal cruising speed. The result was my stock battery went within 1 year and then I realized that I am driving in incorrect position.

I adjusted the switch, brake pedal and keep checking always while driving bike that my foot should not press enough while cruising.

OT: I had same problem in car also. My left foot was lying on cluth pedal always. This is one of the worst habit while driving.

Now, I got rid of both bad habits. But remember, It was herculion effort to get rid of these type of habits .
Old 10th July 2008, 20:34   #25
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Asking because the battery in my bike is kaput for years now. [...] I want to change the battery, but there seems to be some wiring issues due to which horn/indicator will still not work inspite of replacing the battery. [...]
Since there is no point in getting a new battery and still have no working horn/indicators, I have been postponing this.
I drove a Kinetic Honda in Bangalore for about 50000 kms. I remember reading in the manual that if the battery becomes weak it should be immediately replaced in order to avoid damaging the electrical components (KH had a self-starter, which could be one of the affected components). Same with car battery. Your wiring issues could have occurred because you drove on low battery for a long time; the low voltage will cause higher currents, which could damage the wiring. I suggest you attend to them and replace your battery as soon as possible.

Last edited by rks : 10th July 2008 at 20:37.
Old 10th July 2008, 20:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

If that is true, then my wiring system must be truly fried by now. Because I have been running around with that dead battery in the bike for many years now.
Old 10th July 2008, 20:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Don't bikes come with pre-loaded songs that play when you brake ? This was a feature in bikes some time back - I actually did not understand whether this was for entertainment or used as a warning to the rider that he had the brakes pressed.

Most of the times i was overtaken by a bike that sang Dhoom Machade Dhoom Machade Dhoom
Old 10th July 2008, 21:00   #28
BHPian

This is indeed true. Most of the bikers do it, may be not intenationaly and it creates a hell lot of problem of those, who are behind them.
I do not drive bike but I normally follow the break lights of the vechile in front of me, while driving and bikers do give me lot of problems because of this issue
Old 11th July 2008, 10:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
headers, very thoughtful of you to have started this thread . You have made a very valid point in the interests of safety of 2 wheelers (even though this appplies to all vehicles).

Thanks so much BT, thought i'd share my thoughts about the risk invloved for the biker as well as the vehicle following him.

Quote:
Do the brake lights run ONLY off the battery ? Or will they work even if the battery is dead ? Brake light on my bike is not working for sometime now.

Asking because the battery in my bike is kaput for years now. So, the only lights I have now is the tail light and head light. I want to change the battery, but there seems to be some wiring issues due to which horn/indicator will still not work inspite of replacing the battery. And most neighborhood mechanics seem reluctant to fix the wiring issues - they want me to take it to Pudupet to get the wiring fixed, for which I don't have the time.

Biju, time to change..either the bike or the wiring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Don't bikes come with pre-loaded songs that play when you brake ? This was a feature in bikes some time back
No, its the guys who want a song while braking to be aware and create awareness : lol : of the song!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
This is indeed true. Most of the bikers do it, may be not intenationaly and it creates a hell lot of problem of those, who are behind them.
I do not drive bike but I normally follow the break lights of the vechile in front of me, while driving and bikers do give me lot of problems because of this issue

Glad, most sane people are like me
Old 11th July 2008, 19:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do the brake lights run ONLY off the battery ?
Brake lights, turn indicators & the horn definitely run on the battery. In the yezdi, everything runs on battery except the headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Don't bikes come with pre-loaded songs that play when you brake ?
with the ching chuck ching chuck stereophonic effect too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks