Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 19:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Do you know whether your brake light is ON even when you are not braking?

Hi,

Just wanted to understand how many of us realize that our brake lights are light up constantly, while one is biking around town.

I have seen innumerable two wheelers where the guy is actually overtaking me at say 70 kph or so and his brake lights are on.

We think he is going to brake, but you see the guy actually speeding away. Just wanted to share the feeling with our tbhp friends.

The risk in this, is, if the 2 wheeler brakes suddenly, the vehicle coming behind is surely going to take him along as the vehicle driver constantly sees the brake light on - He will not be aware of the bike actually braking, thus causing an accident.

Request all bike riders to adjust their rear brake lamp switches to suit their riding style in this regard.

Happy riding..
Old 9th July 2008, 19:21   #2
BHPian

Well this has happened to me twice on my bike and both the times i actually realized pretty soon enough because in the bullet when this happens u can figure it out by looking at the amp meter next to the speedo,its constantly drawing current.

I totaly agree with you its pretty dangerous because you know never know when the person might actually break except use your judgement.

Its not a problem with just Bikes but i constantly am irritated by trucks & Buses whose tail lights dont function at all, those pose a greater threat.
Old 9th July 2008, 19:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi,

Just wanted to understand how many of us realize that our brake lights are light up constantly, while one is biking around town.

I have seen innumerable two wheelers where the guy is actually overtaking me at say 70 kph or so and his brake lights are on.

We think he is going to brake, but you see the guy actually speeding away. Just wanted to share the feeling with our tbhp friends.

The risk in this, is, if the 2 wheeler brakes suddenly, the vehicle coming behind is surely going to take him along as the vehicle driver constantly sees the brake light on - He will not be aware of the bike actually braking, thus causing an accident.

Request all bike riders to adjust their rear brake lamp switches to suit their riding style in this regard.

Happy riding..
This has got nothing to do with adjusting the switch. People unknowingly press the foot brake while riding.
Old 9th July 2008, 19:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes I have observed this with lots of people. I am sure it doesn't happen with me most of the time as I always check this fro time to time(basically to check the brake lights) besides I Dont completely rest my foot on the brake pedal.

Straight6: They do need to check if the play is correct or nt, if the play is more people tend to press the brakes halfway for less effort in braking. Yes but most of them are unaware.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th July 2008 at 19:24.
Old 9th July 2008, 19:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
This has got nothing to do with adjusting the switch. People unknowingly press the foot brake while riding.
Boss, there is a switch near the foot pedal and front brake that can be adjusted !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Straight6: They do need to check if the play is correct or nt, if the play is more people tend to press the brakes halfway for less effort in braking. Yes but most of them are unaware.
And this is just to make our friends aware of the danger involved, especially as our everyday road speeds are increasing!
Old 9th July 2008, 20:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

What do you want to say for the other vehicles which do not have rake light at all? Eg: Autos, State RTC buses and of course lorries. This is a common sight in almos all the cities and may be a main cause for accidents also...
Old 9th July 2008, 20:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
What do you want to say for the other vehicles which do not have rake light at all? Eg: Autos, State RTC buses and of course lorries. This is a common sight in almos all the cities and may be a main cause for accidents also...
Mate Vikram is only talking about bike's here. Also the list you have mentioned is already on the list of everyday offenders. Wonder if their vehicles tail lamps ever worked.

Instead of going OT, lets stick to the discussion with regards to the bikes.

Sorry for going OT, peace .

I have done this and generally happens when you tend to rest your leg on the foot rest and is slightly leaning over the brake lever.
Old 9th July 2008, 20:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boss, there is a switch near the foot pedal and front brake that can be adjusted !
I know there is a switch, but in the first place, your foot should not be resting on the pedal when you are not intending to brake. My bike is 10 years old and I have never adjusted the switch. I agree there is play in the front brake lever too, but again, you are not supposed to "play" with that play when you are not intending to brake.
Old 9th July 2008, 20:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I know there is a switch, but in the first place, your foot should not be resting on the pedal when you are not intending to brake. My bike is 10 years old and I have never adjusted the switch. I agree there is play in the front brake lever too, but again, you are not supposed to "play" with that play when you are not intending to brake.
Correct sir. Thanks for the acknowledgement!
Old 9th July 2008, 21:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but again, you are not supposed to "play" with that play when you are not intending to brake.
Exactly that's what Headers is saying. Lot of people do this un-intentionally.
Old 9th July 2008, 21:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Exactly that's what Headers is saying. Lot of people do this un-intentionally.
And cause accidents either to themselves and / or the people following them. We all should be aware of the situation.

@ technocrat: thanks for correcting the title correctly!
Old 9th July 2008, 21:44   #12
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
They do need to check if the play is correct or nt, if the play is more people tend to press the brakes halfway for less effort in braking. Yes but most of them are unaware.
Actually the bikers/scooterists need to drive with their foot off the brake pedal, which is not intended to be a foot rest. The foot should rest on the foot-rest and should touch the brake pedal when and only when the intention is to brake. The real danger is not so much that the functionality of brake lights is compromised; rather that the brakes will wear out more quickly and will not work when you need them.

To me someone who drives with his/her foot on the brake pedal for fear of not reacting quickly enough is not sufficiently confident to be driving on the main road.
Old 9th July 2008, 22:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

my brake light was always on, and it had nothing to do with my driving style. the switch malfunctioned every few days. back in those days i did not bother to get it fixed....i should have.

eventually my battery died because i used to drive at low RPM and the brake light drained it.
Old 9th July 2008, 22:18   #14
BHPian

i haven't seen many cases where brake lights are always on but it is dangerous for drivers behind such vehicles. i think it is more due to resting the foot on pedal rather than 'playing with the play'

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
my pulsar's tail light LEDs were knocked off due to bad electricals. When ever i brake hard, the guy behind me definitely honks. I feel guilty during such times but can't really blame myself. I have visited Bajaj service center thrice in past two weeks but the guy always says part is not in stock. he says he has to replace the whole bunch of leds with casing.(it comes as single part). Probably time for a DIY or visit another show room..
Old 9th July 2008, 23:12   #15
BHPian

As most of our fellows said, it is because people rest their foot on brake pedals / slightly press (like clutch riding) the front brake lever for some mms. In both the cases, if the brake switch is adjusted for maximum sensitivity, the lights will be on. One should neither rest his foot on brake pedal nor depress the front brake lever in a constant manner (some people have this habbit of constantly depressing the front brake lever some millimeter with index finger).

Apart from this make sure brake switches and light are working properly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks