Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 19:17   #1
BHPian

Yezdi Oilking

Can anyone provide the pictures and Tech. Info of the "Yezdi Oilking" ...

I've heard that its the previous version of the Roadking...But I couldn't find any pics of the bike with Oil pump..
Old 9th July 2008, 19:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure there was such a version?

Here is the list of Variants that the company had in India

Yezdi
Old 9th July 2008, 19:24   #3
BHPian

India's Fastest single cylinder bike ever built was launched as "Oilking" in 1975 the model 'A' was a failure, but they re-introduced it as Yezdi Roadking in 1978.I have Never seen this Bike..But i saw the Manual which had no Image of the Bike..
Old 9th July 2008, 19:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Don't recall ever hearing of an OilKing.

Whoa, Yezdi (as a company) seem to be such an exception.
Today when we have so many in-business companies that do not even have a proper website, here is a company that is no longer selling its products, but has a nice-n-proper website in place.

Now, how about rolling out some bikes ?
Old 9th July 2008, 19:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

Here is the list of Variants that the company had in India

Yezdi

Check This out:

Yezdi Roadking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 9th July 2008, 19:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yes, there was an Oilking. It is basically the roadking with a separate oil pump. You dont need to mix 2T oil and fill petrol. This bike was way ahead of its time and hence a failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinzrox View Post
India's Fastest single cylinder bike ever built was launched as "Oilking" in 1975 the model 'A' was a failure, but they re-introduced it as Yezdi Roadking in 1978.I have Never seen this Bike..But i saw the Manual which had no Image of the Bike..
There is only a footnote which states the difference between the roadking and the oilking - no pictures to show the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Don't recall ever hearing of an OilKing.

Whoa, Yezdi (as a company) seem to be such an exception.

Now, how about rolling out some bikes ?
These bikes were pretty advanced for its time, thats why they didnt sell. In addition, the company changed hands multiple times and finally went into liquidty.

The Jawa / Yezdis was a classic bike of the 60s and 70s that had an automatic clutch - What i meant was there was a cam operated clutch in the gear lever and hence once could ride the bike without issues even if the clutch wire snapped.

Also, the bike came with a 50:50 weight bias and quarter steering [local lingo]. This made the bike safe on the highways as well as in town too. Because of the steering limitations, even if one managed to get into a skid, one could prevent a fall and control the bike.

THis is a great bike for going sideways

Having owned a roadking between 94 and 96 and driven it for almost 25000 kms, I can definitely vouch for that!

Shame that it could not withstand the onslaught of modern bikes. The bullet has managed to survive though.

A little OT: Had the opportunity to sample our member "trooper" s Bullet and it was such an improvement over the previous generation ones. Felt sad that Yezdi could not live the life!
Old 9th July 2008, 19:58   #7
BHPian

I have a pic of the bike but no info on it

Note: Oil Pump not Visible here.
Attached Thumbnails
Yezdi Oilking-yezdi-oilking.jpg  

Last edited by vinzrox : 9th July 2008 at 20:17.
Old 9th July 2008, 21:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow that something new I learned today. Thanks for sharing this info vinzrox & headers

Quote:
here is a company that is no longer selling its products, but has a nice-n-proper website in place.
Exactly my thoughts & I wonder who maintains it? This site is known to me since atleast past 4 years. It has all the possible(almost) details about the company & the products it sold.
Old 9th July 2008, 21:33   #9
BHPian

Hello

Here's a pic in which the place where the oil pump was located can be seen. its the Square portion which potrudes out of the side cover.

ATgAAAB8cKuU8tJ38KYrPoxe6imLjH0iBgGqC7usECDuZk-INnvphcNiI0xIorDyrXzKu6KxiiWiyz-GCWwHmoyY7jWOAJtU9VA7

The Oilking Failed, but the side cover continued on the roadking albeit without the oilpump.

Last edited by Shreeram : 9th July 2008 at 21:34.
Old 9th July 2008, 22:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Cool! I have seen an Yezdi with an oilpump in my mech's garage. he pump was visible since he had the left side cover off. But the side badging was "Roadking" that is because probably the Side panels or badging must've been lost. Thanks for the picture and the thread vinzrox, i now know the existence of "Oilking" model!
Old 9th July 2008, 22:44   #11
BHPian

The Oilking is a Roadking with an oilpump on it, it failed cause many then ran the buke without oil in the oiltank, the pumps were good enuff and the initial lot were all Imported frm JAWA and could be only bought in Foreign Currency. Also wud like to add here that the Yezdi Co dident close cause it changed hands but it had to close due to labour problems and due to difference in thoughts between the 2 Patner Owners of the Co. Yezdi was preparing itself for the Jap onslaught with Imported 250 Jawas and 350 Jawa Twins in the 90s but had to sadly close due to the Ownership problems. Me had a pleasure of owning a Brand New Yezdi Roadking 1994 Model churning out a healthy 16bhp costing those days a mere 32k while the Yamaha RX100 was priced at abt 41k those days.
Old 10th July 2008, 06:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhokritesh View Post
The Oilking is a Roadking with an oilpump on it, it failed cause many then ran the buke without oil in the oiltank, the pumps were good enuff and the initial lot were all Imported frm JAWA and could be only bought in Foreign Currency. Also wud like to add here that the Yezdi Co dident close cause it changed hands but it had to close due to labour problems and due to difference in thoughts between the 2 Patner Owners of the Co. Yezdi was preparing itself for the Jap onslaught with Imported 250 Jawas and 350 Jawa Twins in the 90s but had to sadly close due to the Ownership problems. Me had a pleasure of owning a Brand New Yezdi Roadking 1994 Model churning out a healthy 16bhp costing those days a mere 32k while the Yamaha RX100 was priced at abt 41k those days.
Agreed, but the company had not only labour problems, but also other issues. They were financially in the dumps and thats what made them change hands.

Even then, they could not rise.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th July 2008 at 10:59. Reason: Spliting the Yezdi Oil King Thread to the Yezdi 350 thread
Old 10th July 2008, 09:55   #13
BHPian

I knew the Oilking existed, but didnt know that the OilKing was the radial head Yezdi. I always thought that a few RoadKings came with the radial fin head design.
Attached Thumbnails
Yezdi Oilking-yezdi20oilking.jpg  

Old 10th July 2008, 10:07   #14
BHPian

The ownership of the Ideal Jawa India Ltd (Yezdi) never changed hands. The Co was founded by Mr Irani in the 60s then after he passed away it was run by Mr Tempton Irani and Mr Boman Irani till it closed down, i have known a family member of the Iranis for long hence this Input. Btw now the Factory place has been sold off and a big residential complex is gonna take its place. Sad real Sad.
Old 10th July 2008, 10:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

The story of Yezdi in Indian Motorcycle history is indeed a sad one.
Few months back an Auto Magazine rated 4 all time classic bikes in Indian History and they were :
BMW F60
Yamaha RD 350
Rajddot Bobby GTS
Yezdi Roadking

One helluva a list.Out of this I have 2 of them !!!!! Waiting to lay my hands on a good Yezdi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks