Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 23:56   #1
BHPian

Getting my hands on the new Yamaha R15

There i was !! standing on the gates of a Yamaha dealership in New Delhi , of course it was a B E A U tiful day for me as a sparkling new blue color R15 was getting readied for me , this dealership was Almost 160 kms away from my home in Muzaffarnagar in UP , and i was equally happy and worried as i was alone for this trip back home , soon the bike was ready and the dealer handed it over to me , was a moment of joy because everyone on road was staring my bike which was looked stunning in the bright sunlight.

After a small prayer in my mind both for me and my new bike , i twisted the key in ignition and watched as the tacho needle swept past 12k limit and returned back to zero ( needle and other tell tale lights looks gorgeous , especially at nights ), i removed the stand and ATLAST ! the bike was between my legs !!! I checked my overall stance, brake and gear lever positions and pressed the starter button , the smooth sound of engine filled my ears , although some might feel a bit let down by the sound at idle range , but you would surely enjoy it in the higher rpm range , more on that later , i shook hand with the yamaha guy and took off.
The big gain buying it earlier is that you are amongst the first guys on road to have such a nice bike and people keep on guessing and staring at the bike , some might even follow or come closer and shout - " Bhaisahab which bike is this ?? Have u imported it ?? Arrey !! just 150 cc?? " , i just wanted to run away from those people to a lonely road where just me and my dear bike would be there , the bike was running smoothly , here i must add that after sitting on R15 i feel it looks almost half as bulky as yamaha R1 and the front fairing and rear view mirror looks wide , lots of screws and nuts can be seen on the fairing , but the yamaha guyz have don a splendid job here , every portion on this bike is so tight fitted that leave alone any noise , i couldn't even feel any vibration in the BIG front portion of R15 , the view of rear view mirrors is brilliant and not even a mosquito can fly behind you without being spotted.

Once i got on open roads , my heart was laughing out loud , she felt so relaxed and smooth , many a times i felt i had stalled the engine , but every time i twisted my wrist to check , i got a warm reply from the bike as if it was saying ' don't worry mate ! i'm awake ' , i was advised by the yamaha guys that i should not take the tacho needle past 5k for the first 1000 kms , at first i was obeying the guidelines , but soon my heart wanted to break the rules , and i went for it , soon the tacho was touching around 7k regularly and the bike was zipping past other vehicles around at 90km/h , but to my surprise ! the bike was still so smooth , as if there was at least a 250 cc engine bolted on , i felt if i try , the bike could easily cross 100kph mark.

It took around one hour for me to cross the national capital region , and after that , i was on an open highway to muzaffarnagar , here i got extra cautious because there is absolutely no sense of traffic in UP , cars could zip past you at around 120 - 130 kph with just millimeters of gap between u and them , and u might just stop and check whether that car had ripped your jacket from the elbow or it was a narrow escape ! after riding for around two hours , i had to admit that R15 was not made for long journeys , actually on the bike, you sit on the same pose as on any big supersport bike which is not a relaxed position , many of us would admit , so just to pull the story along , i had to make three stops to cover around 165 kms , and as i reached my small city muzaffarnagar , BOY !! was i looking just like 'SHAHRUKH KHAN' ??? (LOL) !! every pair of eyes was focused on me and my bike , as it was the first in around 80kms area !! WOW !! even those sweet eyes were focusing a fool like me ( i didn't want to call myself a fool , but i'm just an ordinary guy ) , my neighbours congratulated me and asked " ye yamaha R1 hai na !! ( actually i have 4 other imported bikes upto 400 cc and i had convinced everybody that this time i'm going to purchase an R1 ! , so they got fooled , but i corrected them and the same day , as i reached home , i was caught severely by fever , which lasted for around 12 days , and my beloved bike stood waiting eagerly for me to get up on my feet , and now i'm enjoying every evening with her , as i said in the beginning, engine sound is muffled and bike is quiet at idle speed , so many of us would be disappointed , but friends , this bike revvs happily and dosen't mind at all to be in the hard range of 7 to 8k range of tachometer all the time , the engine makes a lovely sound around at 7k rpm , different from any other bike in india , apart from superbikes , so i'm a happy R15 owner and wish good luck to all 'going to be' owners of R15,
Happy Riding .
Old 10th July 2008, 09:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Sajid, Congrats on your purchase. Drive safe and be very careful.

I know how the traffic in western UP can be -- I was born and grew up/lived in Meerut for 25+ years so know it very well

Do post some pics of your bike and you looking like 'Shahrukh Khan' .
Old 10th July 2008, 09:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sajid on your new bike and a nother R-15 owner.I am sure many people will get this one and do post pics and also your initial ownership report. Drive safe buddy and enjoy on your new ride.
Old 10th July 2008, 09:28   #4
BHPian

Congratulations Sajid for the new R-15. Enjoy the ride. Ride safe.
Old 10th July 2008, 09:28   #5
BHPian

thanks a lot khan bhai , sure i would take care , and will post the pics soon
Old 10th July 2008, 09:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sajid for your new bike.

Drive safe and Enjoy the ride.

BTW that had me in splits for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajid33 View Post
ATLAST ! the bike was between my legs !!!
Old 10th July 2008, 11:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...ATLAST ! the bike was between my legs !!! I checked my overall stance, brake and gear lever positions and pressed the starter button , the smooth sound of engine filled my ears , although some might feel a bit let down by the sound at idle range , but you would surely enjoy it in the higher rpm range....
Simply_sunny, agree/ I was in splits on reading the above sentence.

Just remove the word 'bike' from the sentence and then read it again...
Old 10th July 2008, 23:11   #8
BHPian

sorry guys ! my bad !
Old 11th July 2008, 09:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sorry guys ! my bad !

hey Sajid,that was funny but never mind,we understood what you wanted to convey.

What about some pics now ?
Old 11th July 2008, 14:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! It looks like this bike is going to turn the fortunes of Yamaha in India atleast.
How about some pictures !

Quote:
After a small prayer in my mind both for me and my new bike , i twisted the key in ignition and watched as the tacho needle swept past 12k limit and returned back to zero
But what wonders me is this:
You took the engine to 12K on the first day ?!
Old 11th July 2008, 14:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
But what wonders me is this:
You took the engine to 12K on the first day ?!
Like the P-220 or any other sportsbike, the bike performs a check of all the electricals during start, during which the tacho needle goes to the limit and comes back. The engine needn't be on at that time.
Old 11th July 2008, 15:00   #12
BHPian

Another R15! Wow! Looks like a growing breed. Congrats Sajid, and put up some nice pics.
Old 11th July 2008, 16:10   #13
BHPian

cheers: congrats sajid33 a.k.a Shahrukh
a very touchy write up there.have fun, ride safe..
Old 11th July 2008, 19:30   #14
BHPian

Congratulation Sajid for R15

Post some pics and more about the braking and handling.

Ride safe
Old 11th July 2008, 23:22   #15
BHPian

thank you guys ! i really feel my own real brothers are congratulating me and are advising me , i promise you all to be the nicest person on the road .

@ aaggoswami - the bike performs a routine check up of all the electricals when u first tiwst the key , it also includes the radiator fan in R15

@ maxj2005 - the braking and handline is awesome man! the really feels relaxed on the roads especially corners , even if u get around 50 or 45 degrees on the corners

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks