Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2008, 19:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
The mobile services were commercially launched in August 1995 in India.
Mobile services were available much earlier. These were not "cellular" and were analogue.

This date (1995) refers to launch of "cellular" service Airtel issues landlines with CDMA in MP and GSM was launched.
Old 18th July 2008, 20:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_mustang View Post
why dont u get a bluetooth that solves a lot of problems
cops can never catch u for that

and i guess now one can get bluetooth helmets as well
Tried that once in Gurgaon , the cops are getting intelligent now.

He knew I was speaking on the bluetooth headset .Didn't listen anything and gave me a challan of 500 bucks.
Old 18th July 2008, 21:14   #18
LLL
BHPian

Forget the challans and money penalty, its life which is more important.

I had a relative who dies in this situation. He was talking on his cell while driving his bike and didnt pay attention to a speed breaker. He sped over it and fell off the bike due to impact and landed straight into side railings. He had too many fractures in his rib cage and his bones had pierced some organs. He died a day later.

So for your family's sake, dont take that emergency call while riding. its just not worth it.
Old 18th July 2008, 22:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Forget the challans and money penalty, its life which is more important.

I had a relative who dies in this situation. He was talking on his cell while driving his bike and didnt pay attention to a speed breaker. He sped over it and fell off the bike due to impact and landed straight into side railings. He had too many fractures in his rib cage and his bones had pierced some organs. He died a day later.

So for your family's sake, dont take that emergency call while riding. its just not worth it.
The exact same thing happened to a guy riding a Hayabusa on Sunday. He has head and face injuries but is now recovering in the hospital. I would say he is lucky to be alive. He would be at home if he was wearing a helmet.
Old 19th July 2008, 01:53   #20
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
He would be at home if he was wearing a helmet.
Its a matter of luck. The relative i was talking about was wearing a helmet. Helmet can only protect the head...
Old 19th July 2008, 03:17   #21
BHPian

Well so much has been said of riding 2 wheelers without helmets, I believe the person who does not respect what's within his destiny and uses a cell phone on a bike deserves what he's meted out by fate.

To each his own, the govt enforces helmets for a reason. It has enough to do and educate, lets not increase their workload.

Cheers and god bless.
Old 19th July 2008, 04:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Its a matter of luck. The relative i was talking about was wearing a helmet. Helmet can only protect the head...
It also depends on the quality of the helmet. Most people here wear cheap roadside helmets just to ensure that they don't get caught by the cops.
Old 19th July 2008, 20:20   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

The best way to get around is to switch off the mobile phone while driving. Its common to experience that while one is sitting idle at home there's no phone call. The moment one is amidst the traffic hustle-bustle his or her ring tone gets activated. The worst is when one is at a signal and maybe about to move on at the turn of green. And still the worst is when one finds that the call is from some advertiser saying "you have been selected from among 10,000 names to get our credit card with no fee at all Sir- blah, blah, blah------"
Old 19th July 2008, 21:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Definitely life is more important than all those challans to heed for. I see most bikers tend to answer phone calls and maybe they think its some kind of a style statement doing multi tasking. I just cannot understand why cant they just get off the road talk and then ride and much better being not answering until you see a place where you can ward off the road to a safe place and then answer.
Old 19th July 2008, 23:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Is it legal to use a cell phone while riding a bike? May be... Is it legal to relax while riding a bike?
YouTube - This is How We Roll in India
This guy definitely thinks so. BTW, he has mad balls!
-GG
I had a very bad experience with these bikers over mobile phone. I almost hit this guy head on. This guy was speaking over mobile phone and was driving his bike. It was a 4 roads intersection. I pressed my horn and was moving slowly. He did not even bother to reciprocate back and was ingrossed in conversation and came straight. I braked hard and stopped just in front of him missing him by inches. I was totally pissed off. Yelled at him and gave my piece of mind throughly to him.
Old 28th August 2013, 09:12   #26
BHPian

A motorcyclist apologizes.

Driving while talking on the phone.
I dont know but i get seriously irritated when i watch such people on the roads.I thought bangalore had civilised traffic but i was mistaken, you can spot one every minute. And my irritation increases ten fold when i see a guy talking on the phone while riding a bike, that is insane.
So what do i do about it, i don't know if its the right method I'm sure its not but i follow such people close behind them and honk nonstop till he gets fed up and hangsup. I always get yelled at by such imbeciles but it gives me a slight satisfaction.
Anyways so here i was following this guy who was riding his bike and talking at the same time, he almost collided with with a car and a truck.So i honked and honked and honked and he stopped, got down from his bike and came at my window, i thought so here goes a fight but i was amazed by the way he spoke, and asked me what i was doing, so i explained the situation and politely explained the dangers and effects.
He listened and gave a small apology and said he would never do that again, thanked me and left.I was awestruck.I don't know what im doing is right but i urge drivers and motorcyclists to please avoid using cell phones while driving.
I am a doctor and i have seen so many accident cases and the root cause is driving with phone.Be careful and drive well.
DocRock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 10:25   #27
BHPian

Re: A motorcyclist apologizes.

Doc,
I know you are trying help people to be safe; but please don't keep honking. It might irritate the other person and god knows what might be the frame of mind of the other person.

I had a similar incident on the road, when a person in a Maruti Omni was on the phone and we touched. Though it was his mistake, he literally tried to clobber me. Thankfully, I did not get out of the car nor did I open the windows.

All I am trying to tell you is - 'Be Safe; You don't know the nut behind the wheel of the other vehicle'
gods-envy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 11:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
'Be Safe; You don't know the nut behind the wheel of the other vehicle'
Yes that is my worry too,I don't do it every time as I'm always in a hurry,but sometimes on a leisure drive I tend to do it.
You are right about what nut is behind the wheel,I have faced such nuts.
Old 28th August 2013, 21:34   #29
BHPian

Re: Cell phone use on bikes

Mobile phone has become a major nuisance in our roads. I have seen person riding bike with full family while talking over phone. I don't understand why no one in his family even bothered?

Most Viewed